Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 06:00 AM

61 posts, read 216,144 times

Advertisements

Ok, first allow me to start this message by saying that I am a 35 year old MARRIED man, but my wife and I do not have kids yet. We are planning on relocating to the Raleigh area this fall from DC. Our house goes on the market in a week. In our area, if you can deal with traffic, it's reasonably easy to meet folks in DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland. There is a great group called MEETIn DC within which the members host events (meeting for dinner, coffee, games, sports, outdoor recreation, concerts, clubs etc...). This group is extremely active, and you could easily go to an event (or two) every day if you wanted to... But again, that's if you can stand sitting in traffic to do it. My wife and I have had a hard time with this issue here because we don't live directly in DC... we live in a suburb 30 miles away and usually it takes us over an hour or more through terrible traffic jams to get to the events. In fact, traffic is one of the primary reasons we've decided to move to Raleigh.

So, this brings me to my question... HOW DO PEOPLE MEET EACH OTHER IN RALEIGH??? Where do people hang out mostly? Is there a genuine effort to socialize? Or is it just the bar scene... and the mall scene? Are there groups that members would suggest becoming a part of? We know there is a MEETin Raleigh group as well (http://www.meetin.org/city/MEETinRALEIGH/index.cfm) (broken link), and we know that we're going to become as active and involved as we can with that group, but they don't seem to be doing many events . Are most people in Raleigh satisfied with just staying home on weekends with husbands/wives/family cooking up a good grill? Any ideas on ways to get out and meet other folks in the area so that we can form a social circle of our own when we get there would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 08:30 AM

180 posts, read 733,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beittels View Post
Ok, first allow me to start this message by saying that I am a 35 year old MARRIED man, but my wife and I do not have kids yet. We are planning on relocating to the Raleigh area this fall from DC. Our house goes on the market in a week. In our area, if you can deal with traffic, it's reasonably easy to meet folks in DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland. There is a great group called MEETIn DC within which the members host events (meeting for dinner, coffee, games, sports, outdoor recreation, concerts, clubs etc...). This group is extremely active, and you could easily go to an event (or two) every day if you wanted to... But again, that's if you can stand sitting in traffic to do it. My wife and I have had a hard time with this issue here because we don't live directly in DC... we live in a suburb 30 miles away and usually it takes us over an hour or more through terrible traffic jams to get to the events. In fact, traffic is one of the primary reasons we've decided to move to Raleigh.

So, this brings me to my question... HOW DO PEOPLE MEET EACH OTHER IN RALEIGH??? Where do people hang out mostly? Is there a genuine effort to socialize? Or is it just the bar scene... and the mall scene? Are there groups that members would suggest becoming a part of? We know there is a MEETin Raleigh group as well (http://www.meetin.org/city/MEETinRALEIGH/index.cfm) (broken link), and we know that we're going to become as active and involved as we can with that group, but they don't seem to be doing many events . Are most people in Raleigh satisfied with just staying home on weekends with husbands/wives/family cooking up a good grill? Any ideas on ways to get out and meet other folks in the area so that we can form a social circle of our own when we get there would be much appreciated.
I'll be your friend when we move there next year, cause I won't know a soul!
I like wives, family cooking up a good grill and a nice pool. sucking down a few suds and playing Horseshoes in the back yard. blowing off some fireworks on the 4th of july in our subdivision (well maybe not there), having lawn mower races with buddies down the street, smokin a stoggie out on the deck.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:35 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Hey Scott...I just sold a house to a cigar salesman!!!

As for how people meet...usually it seems to be through kids, church, etc. I guess if you don't do either...most of the neighborhoods do have picnics, etc. You would meet people at work. Seems like I meet people where ever I go! The question is would you want to hang out with them???

Vicki (smiling)

Old 08-22-2006, 09:37 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,981 times
I am going to throw a little honest opinion out there! I think you are on the right track as far as the meet group goes. I do think it is hard to meet people when you are a couple, especially a couple without kids. I think about the friends we have and how we met, mostly it was through our kids. I am not saying this to be discouraging, but just honest. I do believe church facilitates meeting people if you are into that, and if you get involved in groups at the church. I would recommend getting involved in groups that interest you (habitat for humanity, the food bank, etc). That way, you are finding people who have similar and common interests as you. For me, when we have met new people through our kids there are times when I realize just how different we are (beliefs, etc) and the only thing we have in common is our kids! I think neighborhood things can work sometimes but it all depends on the neighborhood. work has never been a place where my hubby and I have found people we really like to hang out with, but that could be because my hubby works quite a bit and the last thing he wants to do is see people from work on the weekend!

anyhow, just my thoughts!
leigh

Old 08-22-2006, 10:38 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,783 times
Well, most of our friends are either fellow Triangle area college grads that we knew from school, or from a group we know called "Drinking Liberally"...which is basically a bunch of "lefties" who get together and enjoy booze.

You mentioned you were child-free and people mentioned it's harder for people without kids to find other adults to socialize with. Well, there is a group called No Kidding (raleighnokidding.com) that's a social group for people without children. They host a plethora of activites from what I've read.

If you have hobbies and particular likes, there's the meetups online for various hobbies, etc.

I would say in the Triangle area there's about a 50/50 split of folks who spend their Fri/Sat nites at home and those who go out to restaurants, shows, bars, nightclubs, sportsbars, concerts, discoteques, etc etc. Every year the increasing numbers of folks going to the downtown areas of Raleigh, Durham and ChapelHill are proof of that.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

As for how people meet...usually it seems to be through kids, church, etc. I guess if you don't do either...most of the neighborhoods do have picnics, etc. You would meet people at work. Seems like I meet people where ever I go! The question is would you want to hang out with them???

Vicki (smiling)
Right! I have met tons of people I liked and you just need that common Bond or intrest to hang with them. Like I got a friend who likes to drink beer and I do too so we get along great! Total opposite on Politics but who cares.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:47 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
You can drink AND talk politics? Wow. Great multi tasking!!! Vicki

Old 08-22-2006, 09:29 PM

I can, but not well...

Old 08-23-2006, 06:14 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,783 times
^ For a second, I thought she was talking to me. LOL

Old 08-23-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Vicki (smiling)
Vicki, Did he give you a box of fuentes? can he get cubans? I promise I will buy a house from you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary