Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 6,959 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a mother of a one-year-old boy who is thinking of moving to Chapel Hill, but I've just read a horrible story about the kidnap and murder of a UNC student, Eve Carson.

It's really putting me off. I've heard that crime is relatively love in Chapel Hill. Is that really the case? Was the Carson murder just a rare happening?

Any input would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times
Chapel Hill crime statistics, from City-Data's homepage.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:10 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
The reason you see so much about that case in the news is because something like that is extremely rare for the area. If it was an every day occurrence it would have made barely a blip on the media radar

Old 12-15-2011, 07:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
That happened over 3 years ago.

She was the student body president of one of the largest universities in North Carolina.

It's a rarity.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:08 PM

109 posts, read 105,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
The reason you see so much about that case in the news is because something like that is extremely rare for the area. If it was an every day occurrence it would have made barely a blip on the media radar
Abhijit Mahato was shot by the same guy not too far away from where Eve was shot, but his murder got very little press time in comparison. I bet most people right now wonder who he was, but they all know who Eve was.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
although the crime certainly did happen in Chapel Hill, the perps did not live here. Just saying.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:04 PM

337 posts, read 1,139,129 times
That was a terrible isolated incident.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Mom View Post
Was the Carson murder just a rare happening?
You think the kidnap and murder of UNC students might be a common occurrence??

Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 AM

757 posts, read 2,084,285 times
I lived very close to the UNC campus 5 years ago. I'm not sure how it is now, but I remember back then it was unsafe to be by yourself on the greenways. I remember a couple of stories in the paper about stuff happening out there. I did get on the greenway once and thought it was very creepy. I passed alot of people begging for money etc. and would get angry if you just walked past. It's one thing to ask, it's another to have profanities shouted at you because you didn't give. That was the last time I got on the greenway by myself. Luckily I was on a bike because I encountered quiet a few people like that. I was told later that there was a homeless shelter or something of that nature in Carrboro that basically runs into Franklin street. That is why you have so many people on Franklin street begging for money, etc. My roommate lived in Carrboro and had several break-ins in her apartment complex. I think it's safe living farther away from campus. I will say after living there for 2 years, I felt safe on a bike...but would not feel safe just "walking" around Carrboro. Since Carrboro is so close to campus, I could see why it could be questionable around campus sometimes as well. I think Chapel Hill is as safe as any other place around...but I do remember a lot of headlines of creepy stuff happening when I was there.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
II was told later that there was a homeless shelter or something of that nature in Carrboro that basically runs into Franklin street. That is why you have so many people on Franklin street begging for money, etc.
The IFC men's shelter is located near the corner of Columbia and Franklin Street - very close to campus and just a few blocks east of Main Street in Carrboro. There is a very controversial plan to move it 3 miles north to an area near Homestead and MLK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary