Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times

Advertisements

Not to hijack.. But do you call it "soda" in the Carolinas or "pop"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Neither...it's "drink". Drink doesn't necessarily mean alcoholic.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
It is hijacking, but...

Definitely not "POP"--Actually many native Southerners call it "coke" , whether it is Coca-Cola or not. Or "a drink" as Poggly Woggly mentions. But "soda" or just "a soft drink" has become more mainstream, too. I notice that African-Americans native to the area always say "soda".

Definitely NOT "Pop"!!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 PM

85 posts, read 123,900 times
Oh Please come and set up in west cary!!! There is not one good pizza palace in West Cary!

Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 PM

248 posts, read 754,533 times
all the "new york pizza" places are geniune NY style and good the trick is to eat there or if you bring it home reheat in 450 oven for 3 minutes. The boxes keep the steam in and make it soggy

Old 03-04-2011, 12:53 PM

323 posts, read 634,067 times
I'm just checking back on this thread that I started. andyselec, you are right. The oven must be nice and hot when you put the pizza in, right on the grates of the oven so the bottom gets crispy again!

I'm coming down in April/May to check out Raleigh again. Can't wait to get south again!

Old 03-04-2011, 05:20 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
I still want to try some of that New Haven style A-Pizza I hear about.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:08 PM

323 posts, read 634,067 times
JQ Public - to be honest, so would I! I have never tasted it myself. I am very close to the NY border, and don't venture into CT too much. Always working. I'm going to experiment though, also with gluten-free. I'm getting hungry!

Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 PM

358 posts, read 821,733 times
I'm here in Raleigh from Texas for the next 2-3 months, but am originally from NY. I'm kind of a pizza fanatic and I travel a lot, so I try out, and then rate, numerous local pizzas wherever I go. I do my research, including C-D, and then check out a few pizzerias on my day off. I normally get one slice of cheese pizza as the "test". Tried some today and here are the results based on my particular preferences about pizza:

1. Schiano's 9.0
2. Frank's 7.5
3. Bella Italia 7.0
4. I Love NY 6.5

All the slices were around $2 (I had to order a whole pizza at Bella as they were out of slices at 2:30 - what's up with that?). I Love NY had the biggest slice, but it was so thin that when I started to lift the slice the cheese began to slide off (I don't like that and I'm not a "folder" kind of guy). Schiano's really surprised me because I saw it mentioned nowhere in my research. It's in the same shopping center on Glenwood as the Gold's Gym (and right next to Bed, Bath and Beyond). In fact, I got that slice right after my workout at Gold's and I was so hungry a cow patty would have tasted good to me (LOL!). But I feel I can maintain my perspective on pizza even when I'm starving, so I'm comfortable with the rating. It's excellent pizza.

Next weekend is Two Guys, Lily's and NY Pizza in Cary.

I'm open to suggestions about any other "local" pizzerias you think are good and I'll give them a shot. I'll go any where in the area, doesn't have to be just Raleigh.

Oh yeah, I also tried Cheerwine for the first time. Pretty good. And I finished the day off with a Char-Grill hamburger. I wasn't exactly impressed when I ordered the burger and saw them slap it it on the grill, but it turned out to be pretty damned good. I'm sure it's not the best burger around, but I'd eat one again.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:31 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
There's nothing worse than soggy pizza. Yuck. I don't understand the whole folding pizza thing, either.

Maybe crispy pizza is worse.

Lily's makes it just right and has the best gluten-free pizza around, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyselec View Post
all the "new york pizza" places are geniune NY style and good the trick is to eat there or if you bring it home reheat in 450 oven for 3 minutes. The boxes keep the steam in and make it soggy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary