Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times

Advertisements

Academic dishonesty? I don't think so. She proved she could do the work. That's the important thing.

As lamishra says, you should talk to different colleges about their policies. You have to try.

Years ago, I transferred all my credits from a community college to a good university. I did have to explain some of them, e.g. "Family Portraits" was not a photography class but a sociology class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:03 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abostonmama View Post
Thank you! You're right, the tuition is very reasonable. I will call them tomorrow.
Good luck!

They are also good about letting you take tests for credit (CLEP and DSST). I got credit for Intro to Marketing for about $75 - well worth the time I spent studying! :-)

Old 01-25-2011, 07:04 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
You can take a variety of classes from NC schools through this website...and you do not have to be accepted into a program. I think most colleges these days will let you take two courses before being accepted into a program.

University of North Carolina Online: Home

What are you planning to study? I applaud your dedication!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM

33 posts, read 207,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
You can take a variety of classes from NC schools through this website...and you do not have to be accepted into a program. I think most colleges these days will let you take two courses before being accepted into a program.

University of North Carolina Online: Home

What are you planning to study? I applaud your dedication!
Thank you =) To be honest, I'll study whatever I can to finish my degree as quickly as possible while paying the least tuition. My associate's is in criminal justice, afterwards I went to school for psychology. I went back recently taking mostly business classes but the degree would have just been a liberal arts bachelors.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Academic dishonesty? I don't think so. She proved she could do the work. That's the important thing.

As lamishra says, you should talk to different colleges about their policies. You have to try.

Years ago, I transferred all my credits from a community college to a good university. I did have to explain some of them, e.g. "Family Portraits" was not a photography class but a sociology class.
It most certainly is dishonesty in the sense that you are lying if you state that your did not attend college, when you actually did. Also, if a student has credits from another university and tries to take the same course again, usually the second time around will not count. So, one would be paying to take a course that they would not receive credit.

To answer the OP. You need to take your unofficial transcript to the colleges that you are interested. Ask what will transfer and what will not. If you have course descriptions, that can help as well. You can find that stuff online.

Don't give up. I am sure you find something that works for you.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Snarky prof is right. I would do as they suggest - get it from the horse's mouth

While some other posters gave you some good info, it is very individualized. And, depends much on the school where you earned your credits. And of course, on the admission dept of the school you will apply to. I have some work experience in admissions screening in the triangle and can tell you that many people apply to Wake Tech when, in actuality, they could have been accepted at a 4yr coll/Univ. This is not to say that Wake Tech isn't a good school. It is. They do a wonderful job.

I had a relative who earned the same AAS you have. They transferred much of it to UNC-Greenville to earn a BS. However, their credits were from an in-state AAS program. Using Wake Tech as an example, unless you are in the college transfer program, many credits don't transfer. Conversely, some of the college transfer requirement for graduation at Wake Tech don't actually transfer...sounds like an oxymoron, right?!

PS = And yes, tell the truth about prior college attendance. Explain why and more importantly, what you learned from your mistakes...this should be in your essay if you get to that point.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 01-25-2011 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: PS

Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
For heaven's sake, don't just get a degree to have a degree. Get a degree that will guarantee a career...like something in health care. If I could live my life over again.......

Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I had a relative who earned the same AAS you have. They transferred much of it to UNC-Greenville to earn a BS.
NC public colleges and universities have matriculation agreements with the community colleges in NC that address transfer of associate degrees earned at a state community college. (Note I'm talking only NC community college to NC college/university.) In most instances, those matriculation agreements cover only AA and AS degrees. AAS degrees are in most instances not covered. However, a couple of colleges do have matriculation agreements that cover AAS degrees - UNC Greensboro has a "2-plus" program for certain transferring AAS degrees. I think, but am not sure, that UNC Charlotte may also have such a program. Beyond that, a student with an AAS degree is treated as any other non-degreed transfer student. The advantage of transferring a degree is that the college only looks at your record in that degree program - if you have other college experience in which you didn't do so well, they don't count that in calculating your GPA, for example.

Oh, and by the way - "UNC-Greenville"? Perhaps you mean East Carolina University? There is no UNC Greenville.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 AM

33 posts, read 207,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
For heaven's sake, don't just get a degree to have a degree. Get a degree that will guarantee a career...like something in health care. If I could live my life over again.......
Degrees don't guarantee careers as far as I know, but I do know I haven't been able to apply for a lot of jobs I'm otherwise qualified for and would love to have just because I don't have a bachelors. Many jobs don't seem care so much what the degree is in, they just want you to have one.

I agree with part of what you're saying, because I think a lot of degrees probably aren't worth the cost. My situation is a little different, I was only about 4 - 6 classes away from graduation. I'll take whatever degree I can transfer the most credits to.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abostonmama View Post
Degrees don't guarantee careers as far as I know, but I do know I haven't been able to apply for a lot of jobs I'm otherwise qualified for and would love to have just because I don't have a bachelors. Many jobs don't seem care so much what the degree is in, they just want you to have one.
this could be true in theory. but keep in mind that the triangle area is one of the highest concentrations of degree-holders, including supposedly the highest concentration of PhDs in the nation (i think that's still true).

the chronicle of higher education posted an article just yesterday that showed the number of bachelors degrees in various counties. the breakdown for wake, durham, & orange counties versus the typical US counties? see below:

national average of bachelors degrees - 27.53
north carolina average - 25.80
wake county average - 47.55
durham county average - 43.95
orange county average - 53.67

of course, the boston area is nothing to snub in terms of education, but it certainly makes a difference when moving to this area & the job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary