Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:01 PM

4 posts, read 29,114 times

Advertisements

Greetings:

I am new to Cary, NC since 7/9/07. I am pretty familiar with the roads, I pick up on them pretty quickly. My issue is that I can get around, I just don't know where everything is. Partly being anxious, however, I am looking for a fast way to learn where everything is so get rid of this lost feeling I have. Mostly from being somewhere else 13 years and knowing where to go for what. Recommendations are welcome. Is there any kind of guided tour service that will just show you around? I know it will come eventually, but I do not want to wait weeks and months to find my way around. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 06:27 PM

306 posts, read 1,303,825 times
May I ask in what part of Cary you are living? The town is about fifty square miles and so recommendations would depend on your specific location. I live in downtown Cary and so I am most familiar with the main corridors on this side of town (Harrison Ave, Kildaire Farm Rd, High House Rd, Maynard Rd, Cary Pkwy, Walnut St etc). I am also nearer to Morrisville, Apex and West/North/downtown Raleigh than many of the newer areas of West Cary. If you live out in Northwest Cary you are closer to South Durham and Northwest Raleigh.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:49 PM

I am currently living at Maynard and High House Road.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:56 PM

306 posts, read 1,303,825 times
Alrighty, take a look at the C-Tran bus map http://www.townofcary.org/ctran/ctranmap-jan2006.pdf (broken link). If I were you I would initially focus on the areas covered by the North-South and East-West fixed routes.

North to South (red route): Umstead State Park, Shops & Services (Harrison Square/Sam's Club, Arboretum/Upscale mix, Harrison Pointe/Harris Teeter, Northwood Station), Jordan Hall Arts Center, Herb Young Community Center, Town Hall, Page-Walker Museum, Chamber of Commerce, railway station, DMV, Historic downtown area (soon to be streetscaped), post office, library, Shops & Services (Mayfair Plaza, Kildaire Plaza, Saltbox Village, Shoppes of Kildaire/Trader Joes), WakeMed hospital, Shops & Services (Waverly Place/Whole Foods, Crescent Commons/Harris Teeter/Walmart), then continue on to explore Hemlock Bluff Nature Preserve and the Koka Booth Amphitheater.

East to West (Orange Route then Blue route): Start further West at Cary Parkway/Preston Corners, then Bond Metro Park/Lake, Shops & Services (High House Crossing/Kroger, Ashworth Village, Chatham Square/ethnic restaurants), SAS soccer park, Cary Town Mall, Galaxy Independent Movie theater, then continue along on the blue route to Shops & Services (Barnes & Noble Plaza, South Hills/Grand Asia Market/NC Division of Motor Vehicles, Centrum Plaza, Crossroads Plaza), Crossroads 20 Movie Theater.

There are plenty of other places to go in town and beyond but these areas would be a good starting point. Oh, also check the town website Town of Cary: Recreation & Entertainment (http://www.townofcary.org/tupage/recreation.htm - broken link) and the local paper Cary News | Front for more information.

Last edited by Snowpea; 07-18-2007 at 08:05 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 07:59 PM

83 posts, read 351,564 times
Tell us about what you are looking for and I am sure that you will gets lots of replies!
I work near that intersection - great area.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the help, I will go to those links and get started. I always wanted a map you could just go from building to building, right click the building and it would tell you what it was. I love technology. Maybe one day. Thanks again for the help. I will check these links out and post more specific later. This is a great message area.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,703 times
I currently live in Tennessee, and I am moving to Cary in about two weeks!
However, I am looking for a good low $200's and up neighborhood close to the shopping district - if there are any! Any suggestions? We are going to look at Twin Lakes tomorrow.... is that a good area???

Old 07-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 3 days ago)

43,068 posts, read 76,614,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2Cary07 View Post
I currently live in Tennessee, and I am moving to Cary in about two weeks!
However, I am looking for a good low $200's and up neighborhood close to the shopping district - if there are any! Any suggestions? We are going to look at Twin Lakes tomorrow.... is that a good area???
Yes, Twin Lakes is a good area.
Good schools. Good location with proximity to RTP, Cary, and Morrisville. Easy access to I540 to N Raleigh and points beyond.

You will have some road congestion and air traffic overhead, but all in all a good location.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:59 AM

16 posts, read 72,337 times
Just moved into Twin Lakes it is so much better then what I thought it would be! Love it! So much to do, and it's close to everything! Shopping and Parks, if your into that.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:27 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,419,983 times
I find Cary incredibly easy to get around. When I first moved here, and time was of little or no essence, as the saying goes, I would venture out -- usually on the Cary Parkway, making note of the streets that ran perpendicular to it. Nice thing about the streets is that they are so well-identified, and you are given advance notice of what street lies just ahead of you. Good luck in your jaunts about town! It shouldn't take you long to learn the 'main drags' and be driving around like a long-time resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary