Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:56 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Probably for the same reason that some don't know that "sportscaster" is one word, you don't capitalize the word "weather" in the middle of a sentence, and that "oh yeh" should really be spelled "oh yeah."
I guess I deserved that one lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 07:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
I wouldn't say ALL local TV personalities are "revered" as celebrities, but the ones who've been around awhile do. And, the stations certainly present them as such, and encourage appearances at local "events", since it makes people watch that station. I'd be very surprised if this is unique to this area.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:42 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
But getting back to the original question.....has anyone found him yet?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
No News but found this on FB

Bring Glenn willey back page..I tried to link it but it comes up under my userID.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 01-30-2011 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 AM

545 posts, read 1,604,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
I was just preparing to post the same thing -- I'm amazed that so many people are so emotionally invested in a guy who delivers the weather forecast on TV.

I mean, if this were a morning zoo rush-hour DJ we were talking about, I could understand...

(I kid!)
Hey, I still refuse to listen to WQDR 94.7 because they fired Jaybo without warning.

RIP Jaybo!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,944 times
Glenn did not get fired because of ratings or trending! The new weather guy "BIG WEATHER" (big horrible) is from Chicago the station manager is from Chicago you connect the dots. "big weather" is so bad he got demoted to traffic. Glenn did not leave to be closer to family he is rooted here! He got canned because it's who you know!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-03-2011 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: Deleted inappropriate comment

Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I'm a Greg Fishel fan so I don't know if I've ever seen Glenn; however, it is impressive that so many people liked him and feel so strongly about his leaving.

I wonder what would happen if all of you wrote letters or sent emails to the station. Perhaps the station needs to know how so many feel about Glen versus the new guy.

Just a thought. Sometimes things can be changed if you talk to the right people.

Vicki

Old 02-03-2011, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,841 times
Default WTVD - Weatherman Glenn

E-mail the station manager and let him know how you feel about Glenn not being a part of the team. Why bother with "Big Weather?" I want Glenn not "Big Weather!"

[EMAIL="general.manager@abc11mail.com"]general.manager@abc11mail.com[/EMAIL]

Old 02-03-2011, 02:44 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh-Ite View Post
E-mail the station manager and let him know how you feel about Glenn not being a part of the team. Why bother with "Big Weather?" I want Glenn not "Big Weather!"

general.manager@abc11mail.com

email and send him a link to this thread! i hate their new guy!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM

306 posts, read 436,336 times
Local Broadcast TV stations are in dire straights these days. Every year their ratings shrink and their advertisers are offered more and more choices.

The business is past the mature stage of its lifecycle and it has threats coming at it from every direction. With finite commercial inventory they are scrambling to find ways to bring in more revenue through their websites and promotional gimmicks that are not usually advertiser friendly.

The Internet, the proliferation of cable TV, mobile use, social media, Netflix, etc. have robbed local TV stations of their monopoly and license to print money. Since it was run by people who lived the good life of a monopoly (or cartel) they were caught flat footed by the Internet and technology explosion.

It is the biggest CYA industry out there. General managers who run the stations get hammered by their bosses for low ratings or revenue shortfalls. They fire the sales manager, weather guy, news anchor, promotions manager, news director and blame them for the problems. A year later or less, they do the same thing.

With the exception of some big players in each market, many of those TV reporters make a lot less money than people would expect. There is a lot of consolidation in the Industry as well. Some stations now share their news gathering services, helicopters, etc. Some stations now have the reporters becoming "backpack journalists". You drive, set up the tripod, do the news piece, pack up, drive back to the studio to edit.

To add to their problems, Google, AOL, Yahoo, Groupon, Bing and dozens of other companies are loading up to go after the local small and medium size businesses for their advertising dollars.

As they say.....stay tuned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary