Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 AM

746 posts, read 2,242,062 times

Advertisements

I would think the nego-people would be on this thread like white on rice. this is like free money for the Triangle and the state. RDU, the convention center re-build, the new hotels - were all done so that the All Star game COULD be here. And whether Raleigh embraces it or not -MILLIONS of dollars have been spent and will be pouring in (hotels, tourism, restaurants) from people from around the world. This is a BIG DEAL whether you are a hockey fan or not.

Really naysayers - and I know you are lurking - whether YOU are going or not isn't really a big deal. LOTS of other people will be watching and participating!

So get out there and wave a flag! Raleigh Rocks!

stepping down off soap box now ... it just had to be said - this is REALLY GOOD FOR THE TRIANGLE - EMBRACE IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,332,029 times
I for one will be there tonight mascoting. Come out and support your hometown!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,141,611 times
Glad to hear that more is going on than I thought. (But my point is that if "I" don't know about it, then who else does? I live in Sanford, so it's not in my face as if I lived in Downtown. But I would like to think that more effort would be made to suck me into it.)

Quite honestly, I've seen more draw to the US Figure Skating event in GBO.

Anyway, my point was not to be a naysayer, or to have anything negative to say. Quite the contrary, it is INDEED a great chance to showcase our area, and all the wonderful things Raleigh has going for it (A lot really, much more than just 10-15 years ago!!!).

Glad to hear the responses, and I'm hoping for an excellent event that reflects well on the region.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:05 AM

7,055 posts, read 12,282,023 times
There will most likely be a stronger push for a downtown arena after this event is over.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 PM

776 posts, read 1,680,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
There will most likely be a stronger push for a downtown arena after this event is over.
I think that's going to happen eventually. But I'd guess at least another 10-20 years before that's going to be a reality. It seems like arenas have shelf lifes of 20-30 years, and the RBC will be 20 years old in 9 years.

It'll probably take them 9-20 years to figure out how to pay for it, so it makes sense...sometime in 2025-2030.

On a related note, anyone catch that NHL All Star commercial, where they show the Raleigh skyline with the RBC center in front of it...making it look like the RBC Center is right there downtown? Yeeeeah, it's not like that...

Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,870,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Glad to hear that more is going on than I thought. (But my point is that if "I" don't know about it, then who else does? I live in Sanford, so it's not in my face as if I lived in Downtown. But I would like to think that more effort would be made to suck me into it.)
If I didn't read the N&O in the morning, I wouldn't really have any sense the All Star game is happening here this weekend either. I agree it's a nice event for Raleigh though.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 PM

8,774 posts, read 10,185,996 times
Me. It's awesome having 3 of our players in the game itself (Staal, Ward, and Skinner).

Old 01-28-2011, 01:48 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,055,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Me. It's awesome having 3 of our players in the game itself (Staal, Ward, and Skinner).
It is cool having three Canes ... watching Eric Staal negotiate the draft (on Versus at 8PM) tonight might be more entertaining than the game.

Frank

Old 01-28-2011, 01:53 PM

238 posts, read 667,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
If I didn't read the N&O in the morning, I wouldn't really have any sense the All Star game is happening here this weekend either. I agree it's a nice event for Raleigh though.
It has been all over the news for weeks. Led the news the past few nights. The entire downtown has been transformed. It was big in the news when Staal/Ward made the team, then when Staal was named captain then when Skinner made the team this week.

Honestly you'd have to be living under a rock not to know the All Star game is here this weekend. Everyone at work is talking about it today too.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,870,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
It has been all over the news for weeks. Led the news the past few nights. The entire downtown has been transformed. It was big in the news when Staal/Ward made the team, then when Staal was named captain then when Skinner made the team this week. Honestly you'd have to be living under a rock not to know the All Star game is here this weekend. Everyone at work is talking about it today too.
I must live under a rock then. I just haven't heard or seen that much about it. I guess it just depends where you are, whether hockey is of interest to you, and who you hang around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary