U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 AM

2,629 posts, read 4,497,470 times

Advertisements

I'm a hockey fan in Boston, and just wondering if Raleigh is excited for the National Hockey League All-Star Weekend starting Friday, Jan. 28. The game itself is 4pm EST on Sunday on Versus cable station.

Is there special extended hockey coverage in the News-Observer? Tix should be soldout, but are scalpers pushing prices even higher?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 05:28 AM

746 posts, read 2,146,892 times
tix are not sold out, unbelievably. we're headed to fan fair. Looking forward to it. Many years ago (16?) a good friend of mine and I crashed the All Star "party" in Boston. Good times, good times. Can't quite do that these days - 3 kids in tow, several pounds heavier, and well, old.

Anyhow- when the whole move process happened, one of the things our oldest was most disappointed about was not being able to be here for the All-Star game and weekend. We can't afford tickets to the game, and I certainly wouldn't shell out that kind of money for a 7-yo, but man oh man is he thrilled that it's in his town!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:43 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,002,334 times
Not to be negative, but I really am not excited. In general, it baffles me that there is this big of an event and it does not seem to be a big deal for anyone other than the die-hard hockey fans. Not that big of a deal on the news, and the city/community has not done a great job of sucking in us non-fanatics into the festivities.

Heck, we get more coverage when the NCAA is in Greensboro or Charlotte, or when the Panthers are at the Superbowl in (wherever it was that year) so many miles away.

Honestly, take a look at what Charlotte does for the World 600 and all-star race (Also not a huge racing fan, but it's a good example), with massive parties downtown and activies for fans and non-fans alike. They pull that off every year. Much bigger and better (IMO) than what we are doing for a "once in a lifetime" chance with the NHL.

It doesn't hurt my feelings, but I've commented to my wife that this event seems to be a dud, and that there is not nearly enough hooplah to have the NHL ever want to come back.

At least that's my opinion. (I say this because irregardless of my fan-status, I'd like to see the Raleigh area put on a better showing on this awesome opportunity to showcase ourselves on the National level.)

Old 01-28-2011, 06:30 AM

285 posts, read 797,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
tix are not sold out, unbelievably.
Really? I was looking on Ticketmaster/RBC Center website to see if tickets were available, and they said it was sold out...I know there's tickets on Craigslist, but I'm not sure they're readily available anymore through the usual outlets?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:34 AM

9,801 posts, read 28,921,552 times
I know it may not seem like it, but it is actually being treated like a pretty big deal in Downtown Raleigh. They have a lot of festivities planned for the weekend starting today.

NHL Wide Open Along Fayetteville Street
Free Concerts at the new Amphitheater
Fan Fair inside the Convention Center.

All the details are here: NHL All-Star Wide Open - NHL All-Star Wide Open (http://www.nhlallstarwideopen.com/nhl-all-star-wide-open - broken link)

With the great weather forecasted for the weekend I expect downtown to be packed with a ton of people this weekend.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:46 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,726,727 times
I am pleased the weathers going to be good as this will make it more fun for everyone downtown especially at the concerts and other events

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I know it may not seem like it, but it is actually being treated like a pretty big deal in Downtown Raleigh. They have a lot of festivities planned for the weekend starting today.
With the great weather forecasted for the weekend I expect downtown to be packed with a ton of people this weekend.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,325,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm a hockey fan in Boston, and just wondering if Raleigh is excited for the National Hockey League All-Star Weekend starting Friday, Jan. 28. The game itself is 4pm EST on Sunday on Versus cable station.

Is there special extended hockey coverage in the News-Observer? Tix should be soldout, but are scalpers pushing prices even higher?
Yes, the N&O will have two special sections on Sunday, according to their website.

As for the event "not being a big deal to anyone other than die-hard hockey fans" according to Bmateo, I have had the opposite experience, probably because I live in close proximity to where the festivities are being held. Banners, team flags and huge window decals have been up on downtown streets and businesses for a few weeks now. In fact, the giant banner on the RBC Plaza tower has been up since July.

There are a ton of public events going on downtown starting today, with free concerts, food, beer tastings, etc. in addition to the Fan Fair at the convention center. Many local restaurants will also have live music and specials, and this week also happens to be Triangle Restaurant Week. I am really baffled at how someone who is local could NOT know about these events, because I've been aware of them for a while now.

Yeah, I'd say we're excited!

Here are some links with information about festivities:
NHL All-Star Wide Open, Area Hot Spots :: Events Calendar :: Downtown Raleigh
NHL All-Star WIDE OPEN Street Festival - Downtown Raleigh, NC - Go Live Work Play
2011 NHL All-Star Wide Open Celebration - NHL All-Star Wide Open

Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 AM

286 posts, read 715,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrant View Post
Really? I was looking on Ticketmaster/RBC Center website to see if tickets were available, and they said it was sold out...I know there's tickets on Craigslist, but I'm not sure they're readily available anymore through the usual outlets?

It is sold out and has been for quite awhile. However, many tickets are available on craigslist. You will be probably be able to buy a ticket off craigslist cheaper on Sunday before the game.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 AM

746 posts, read 2,146,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrant View Post
I was looking on the nhl site yesterday - the hotel packages were all sold out but the game tickets were available ($379 apiece?)

nhl.com/fanfair - and then check tickets I think?

Maybe they're still availble if you buy the "hospitality" package? W00! FREE SODAS for an extra $100! (sarcasm tags aren't available)

Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 AM

776 posts, read 1,619,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

NHL Wide Open Along Fayetteville Street
Free Concerts at the new Amphitheater
Fan Fair inside the Convention Center.

All the details are here: NHL All-Star Wide Open - NHL All-Star Wide Open (http://www.nhlallstarwideopen.com/nhl-all-star-wide-open - broken link)

Agreed. It'd be one thing if they were just holding the event at the convention center and the two events at the RBC. Instead, downtown is pretty well decked out...incorporating Raleigh Wide Open into this...in addition to the free concerts. I think the city and the NHL has done a pretty good job with this.

Also locally, our local networks are covering it pretty extensively. Obviously WTVD is already down there, but I believe WRAL will have multiple newscasts from Fayetteville Street. And who is going to pass up meeting Greg Fishel at the Snowzone? (or whatever it's called)

We have to understand also that hockey is not a really big draw in the states nationally. Don't get me wrong, the league has made remarkable strides since the 2004 lockout. In fact, in many instances, the NHL is in much better shape compared to the NBA, and may benefit from the possible NBA and NFL work stoppages next year before their own possible lockout in 2013. But, you're not going to get much coverage nationally, in fact, I find it quite sad that NBC is not showing the game. TSN and Versus will surely be there though.

But overall, this weekend will be good for our city and I truly expect it will be good for hockey in this area and good for the team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>