Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times

Advertisements

Tell the CEO's who made in the 6 figures and ran large companies who are now living in their cars they are "just mediocre".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 02:32 PM

306 posts, read 436,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Tell the CEO's who made in the 6 figures and ran large companies who are now living in their cars they are "just mediocre".
So you have been running into a lot of ex CEO's who now live in their cars huh?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:37 PM

279 posts, read 590,315 times
oh my goodness, i believe my thread's been hijacked lol. the more i think about the raleigh area, the less i think it would be a good idea. as someone said before... a lot of competition with law firms.. we are thinking more coastal areas like wilmington or even down to myrtle beach

Old 01-28-2011, 05:38 PM

5,744 posts, read 17,615,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
as someone said before... a lot of competition with law firms.. we are thinking more coastal areas like wilmington or even down to myrtle beach
What makes you think that those areas have escaped the economic downturn?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:43 PM

279 posts, read 590,315 times
I don't necessarily think those areas have escaped it, but I think they look better than Raleigh for the employment we are seeking with my SO being a lawyer. There would be a lot more competition for him in Raleigh/Durham area with competing law schools

Old 01-28-2011, 05:47 PM

5,744 posts, read 17,615,721 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily think those areas have escaped it, but I think they look better than Raleigh for the employment we are seeking with my SO being a lawyer. There would be a lot more competition for him in Raleigh/Durham area with competing law schools
Where do you think all those law school graduates that don't get jobs in Raleigh are going? New England?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:55 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,878,810 times
OP - you are talking 2 yrs from now - right? This being the great recession and nothing to compare it to in terms of recovery length, etc.. I feel you are searching here way too soon - things could change considerably in 2 yrs. When you are looking South, consider also Greenville, SC, ATL, both are areas that folks from the N NE seem to be attracted to.

As for MB or NC beaches. They have been hit. Consider that they have a small core # of yr round residents and summer visitor #'s have been down for a couple of yrs. A side note, a friend recently sold a residence there for 40% less than they purchased it 5 yrs ago. They are getting ready for another round of foreclosures properties to hit per a local mortgage professional in MB. Not sure when they will recover.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:49 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,691,623 times
NewUser and others might have you thinking you should crawl under a rock and never try to get a job.

I say...not a bad idea to target an area without a law school, and you should definitely explore areas that interest you...

But also, be prepared to go where the jobs are and plan to live modestly!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,958,095 times
Quote:
Regardless of economic conditions, coastal areas have always tended to draw lawyers looking to live an ocean-front life (especially semi-retired lawyers) - as a result, the competition there can be quite stiff too.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:29 AM

804 posts, read 2,006,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Regardless of economic conditions, coastal areas have always tended to draw lawyers looking to live an ocean-front life (especially semi-retired lawyers) - as a result, the competition there can be quite stiff too.
exactly what i was thinking. consider that the majority of attorneys in those areas will be representing year-round residents who typically are lower-income than the higher-income vacation homeowners. also, foreclosures are definitely higher in those areas for now because they are vacation homes that have gone belly-up &/or real estate company-owned places that have gone belly-up due to lower tourism rates. furhter, there are more experienced attorneys retiring in the areas that may bring more to the table, making it more difficult for newer attorneys to gain work, especially if they are sole practitioners with little experience.

i also agree that two years is a lot of time for things to change with regard to the economy, the tourism industry, vacation homeowners, & population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary