Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times

Advertisements

There appears to be no roadside trash pick-up in the Raleigh area and the roadside trash is disgusting - it's really a horrible eyesore and an embarrassment, and the blowing trash is even a hazard.

Having moved from Virginia, their roads have sponsor groups that do periodic roadside pick up - i.e. the rotary club, the boy scouts, vol fire dept, etc. Also, they get the local prisoner's some fresh air and exercise, under shotgun supervision, beautifying the roadsides, as well, of course, as the Hwy Dept. Even West Virginia's major roads are relatively trash free compared to here.

Anyone know why it is lilke it is here in Raleigh??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
They do that here too. I saw inmates cleaning up yesterday in Raleigh. Different groups adopt highways as well for cleanup. I see inmates out here in Efland quite often cleaning up. I guess they can't keep up with the growing population trashing our area?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:15 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
They do that here too. I saw inmates cleaning up yesterday in Raleigh. Different groups adopt highways as well for cleanup. I see inmates out here in Efland quite often cleaning up. I guess they can't keep up with the growing population trashing our area?
Then why the massive amounts of roadside trash? Are NCeers more apt to be litter bugs? What is the fine for littering? Maybe it needs increased ten-fold or something.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
I've passed DOT crews cleaning up on I-40 E near Harrison Ave. the last two mornings.

I tend to see inmate work gangs along I-40 every few months.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:26 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,015 times
i see clean up crews all the time...

Old 01-29-2011, 07:28 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
The better question is Why is there so much trash to be picked up?? People (too many) have become PIGS. That is the simple answer. Folks are too lazy to keep their trash until they get to a waste barrel or they haul trash in their trucks uncovered and it blows onto the roads. Careless and inconsiderate piggies...

Old 01-29-2011, 08:04 AM

272 posts, read 724,152 times
I spend a LOT of time driving all the different highways every week. I have lost count of the number of semis hauling trash I have seen without being covered. In a lot of these trucks it literally looks like there are several people in the trailer with pitchforks tossing the trash out as the semi is going down the road. I see food wrappers, bags, paper just flying out. I think that's where the majority of it comes from. Pretty much every day I see inmates cleaning up. And for as often as I see them, there shouldn't be so much trash.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:20 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I just drove out of Raleigh on 40 last weekend and I have to say, the litter was really terrible on 40 between Raleigh and Clayton. Worse than I have EVER seen it.
I mentioned it to my husband and we thought that maybe with the weather being so cold lately, crews weren't out picking it up as often. I know they were out last week and this weekend, because it was in the newspaper, but only because of the all star game!
We headed to the outlets in Smithfield the same day, and while we were parking our car, we witnessed a car full of adults dump their fast food trash, cups and their ashtray out of their car and into the parking lot and just drove off, with a trash can not 5 feet away! And while I don't want to get into specifics, the license plate was NOT from NC!
I also don't know what the heck is going with the litter around here, growing up here, I NEVER saw litter! It seems to be increasing as our population does! It's truly disgusting!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:37 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The better question is Why is there so much trash to be picked up?? People (too many) have become PIGS. That is the simple answer. Folks are too lazy to keep their trash until they get to a waste barrel or they haul trash in their trucks uncovered and it blows onto the roads. Careless and inconsiderate piggies...

Oh no! We agree AGAIN!

I have become so annoyed at what is being done to our roadsides that I have the "Do Not Litter" number in my cell phone and I WILL call it when I see anyone throwing stuff out their windows! Yes, I have become a tattle tale!

A friend of mine is involved in the NHL weekend and he told me that DOT was told to get out there and get the highways cleaned up, especially the route from the airport to downtown so our visitors wouldn't see all the dirt!

I say...clean it all up and hire some more folks to do it! Jobs for everyone!!!

Vicki

Old 01-29-2011, 08:52 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
I saw trash pickup on 540 this week. My thoughts were that it was in preparation for the NHL visitors.

I see people throwing things out all the time and do not understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary