Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Is the traffic as horrendus as the ATL area or that of NYC (suburbs???)
Oh good lord no - not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 01:22 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times
When I was buying a house I looked in Cary and found 2 generalizations.
1) Older homes on existing lots, where you money didn't go as far as Apex or HS. Duh right
2) Brand New homes on less desirable lots (hilly, goofy configurations), probably lots passed over during initial development for more desirable lots. Money went farther than #1 but still not as far as HS or Apex.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
Wow. This thread is full of interesting commentary from the usual suspects.

To answer the OP's question-
I don't think that Cary is saturated. The issue is that there are many different Carys.

Cary is a town of 130,000 people with an enormous land mass. It spreads out over a VERY large area, large enough that it can take 40 minutes to drive from one end of town to the other.

You can find single family housing in Cary with prices from the mid $100s to the Millions.

There is a far larger percentage of Cary that is firmly rooted in the middle class than some posters here might have you believe. All of the other Wake County towns surrounding Cary including Apex, Holly Springs, Raleigh, Wake Forest, and even Fuquay-Varina contain similar proportions of the type of neighborhoods and residents that are held in disdain by the serial renters, HOA bashers, and bitter pills that like to chime in and bash Cary.

Cary will likely continue to grow if the economy supports its growth. So will the other towns in the Triangle-growth is not unique to Cary. If you look at the 540 outer loop you can see where the biggest growth will take place over the next 10 years.

Happy and proud to call the town of Cary my home.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Wow. This thread is full of interesting commentary from the usual suspects.

To answer the OP's question-
I don't think that Cary is saturated. The issue is that there are many different Carys.

Cary is a town of 130,000 people with an enormous land mass. It spreads out over a VERY large area, large enough that it can take 40 minutes to drive from one end of town to the other.

You can find single family housing in Cary with prices from the mid $100s to the Millions.

There is a far larger percentage of Cary that is firmly rooted in the middle class than some posters here might have you believe. All of the other Wake County towns surrounding Cary including Apex, Holly Springs, Raleigh, Wake Forest, and even Fuquay-Varina contain similar proportions of the type of neighborhoods and residents that are held in disdain by the serial renters, HOA bashers, and bitter pills that like to chime in and bash Cary.

Cary will likely continue to grow if the economy supports its growth. So will the other towns in the Triangle-growth is not unique to Cary. If you look at the 540 outer loop you can see where the biggest growth will take place over the next 10 years.

Happy and proud to call the town of Cary my home.
Your HOA just tagged your mail box for being the wrong shade of black....

Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,149 times
Cary is awesome. The people here who talk about "fitting in" and all this other garbage are just insecure. I dont choose a place to live to based on if I "fit in" I choose a place to live based on price range, convenience, safety, aesthetics, general mood of the neighborhood and people, investment risk/upside, etc.

Whether or not I can let my lawn grow 3 feet high, or whether or not the neighbors invite me to bingo is irrelevant. Guess what...I dont want a pink mailbox. I dont want my neighbor to have 3 feet tall bermuda grass climbing up my fence. I dont want steel trash cans rolling around the street because my neighbor forgets to bring it in. I dont want piles of garbage on someones side lawn attracting animals and bugs. Thank you town of Cary, for making this a cleaner, better, and more enjoyable place to live.

The folks who talk about oppressive HOA's and "fitting in" just dont get it. My HOA is $12 a month. Never given me any problems. My neighbors all say hi, we chat for a few minutes every now and then and sometimes go to cocktail parties, but we are by no means king and queen of the social circle and dont want to be. Just typical friendly neighborly stuff. I find thats the way most people are in Cary...the natives are naturally nice, and the people who come here are drawn to the friendliness and convenience of the area, so they participate in it.

Cary is so diverse in terms of size, price, neighborhood, etc. you can find whatever lifestyle youre looking for. Far from saturated and I hope it never gets there.

Traffic is nowhere near that of NYC/Atlanta/DC/etc. I mean on a total different level. If thats what youre used to than you will think traffic is non-existent in the Raleigh area, especially Cary.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
I think many out of towners think Cary is some special or different place, but the reality is, its pretty much just like Raleigh, but does have its own infrastructure. I do think that it was mainly a bedroom community for a while and it does have more HOAs with more ridiculous rules than the average, but its not the whole story. When the OP says "north Atlanta", that is a huge but specific area and you could be 45 minutes out of downtown. It is just like saying Cary could be "west Raleigh" - its just one part of a pretty big area,and if you're looking at Cary, you shouldn't avoid other areas that may be considered Raleigh or Durham for example. Unless you're concerned about the public schools, but that's another story...

Old 02-02-2011, 04:53 PM

75 posts, read 253,430 times
Wow, there are a lot of stereotypes about Cary. Didn't know people feel that strongly about it. HOAs telling people what color to paint their mailboxes...lol.

I've live in Cary fresh out of NC State (going on two years now). I work in Morrisville as an engineer. I was single up until recently (married). From a young person's perspective, there is very little to do in Cary, unless you have friends who live close, then you can get just get together for a cookout or something. This is what I do. Otherwise, I normally go into Raleigh for things to do.

For a family w/ kids, Cary is about right. Seems like there's plenty to do for a family (parks, malls, etc.).

I bought my house at the peak of the recession (when housing prices and interest rates dropped) so I got a pretty good deal for a single family home on a third of an acre right off of Cary Parkway....with that said, your money will go farther else where....oh and I have no HOA.

Summary: Cary is like every other suburban city thats located next to a bigger city. lol

Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times
I dont mind HOA. There are good ones and there are bad ones. I live in one right now..(as a renter) while we are on assignment..but grew up in them. Maybe just lucky that we didnt have the overly bearing HOAs...I think the biggest rule growing up on the HOAs is that the christmas lights couldnt go up "x" amount of days before xmas and had to be down "x" amount of days after. Other than that..it was very relaxes in a firm sort of way. Maybe it was just good leadership.

Plus I really think the HOAs are nice with families...you have things going on in your local community, the kids get to know one another...and yes there is some negotiated rate on upkeep, lawns and such.

I think with the HOA's you have to go in knowing that there will be a certain amount of politics and also research the HOA's by talking to your future neighbors.

Would you say the area cary/apex/surrounding areas are progressive as far as thinking? Will we NOT fit in because we are not of the christian/catholic faith (we are south asia)..so I guess no one will bother to ask us to "join the church"..

Just curious on race relations over there. IN the Northeast..no one really cares of bothers. But How are the race relations in the RTP area?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:44 AM

248 posts, read 754,432 times
If schools aren't a concern look at durham. RTP is in east durham. You get more value for your money and it is still close to everything. Holly Springs was supposed to be the garbage dump for wake county (the relocated HS'er are fighting that.) Apex has a bad inspection department so no high end builders build there.
Cary is real nice , good planning department that made the whole town feel like a park, lot's of HOA if your into more people telling you what to do with your property.
The truth is every town is 20-30 minutes from each other.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyselec View Post
Holly Springs was supposed to be the garbage dump for wake county (the relocated HS'er are fighting that.)
This is some very outdated info. The South Wake Landfill in Holly Springs has already opened.

'Controversial' landfill opens in Holly Springs :: WRAL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary