Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 12:45 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
^^ And yet, there are people who come on here, admit they didn't really do more than read some posts and come visit for 2 days, then wail to high heaven about how awful it is here. It does wear one out after a while.
Yup. It's just as annoying here as it is when you hear someone at work or what have you griping about the area when you know they never looked into it and just moved because of some ranking in Forbes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,881,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I have a confession: I love reading this Triangle Forum partly to keep myself connected to my roots (native of Louisburg in Franklin County), partly because I love watching my NCSU college town (Raleigh) grow from being a small city into a bonafide East Coast destination, and partly because I love North Carolina and the Triangle being recognized for what they DO, DON'T DO, and DO BETTER than in some other parts of the country (i.e. treelined freeways without billboards, or lowrise development with a decidedly non "big-city" feel.)

What I don't fully understand or condone is people moving to North Carolina based on statistics or Forbes magazine raves, rather than falling in love with the state and its culture first. I don't like Raleigh's real state market being referred to as "available inventory", because juxtaposed next to it is generations-old farms, families and history. I don't want Raleigh to be viewed as a page in a catalog where you point to the "home" that you like and click "Add To Cart."

Now let me clarify that I do like all of that for Franklin County though, because any growth will lift it from the Stone Ages and be a good thing.

I, a southerner and Triangle native, wouldn't eeeevvver consider living in Johnston County or Holly Springs or Fuquay because it would seem completely FOREIGN to me! So of course anyone coming from Massachusetts or say, Los Gatos, Calif. will totally feel like a fish out of water.

I have lived in every American city that I was in love with, and still to this day absolutely love Raleigh, Atlanta, Los Angeles and NYC. I loved every minute that I spent in them, but I also knew what I was getting into beforehand.

My advice to Northerners and Californians would be to remember that many of these towns didn't exist 20 years ago (Holly Springs), so you ain't gonna find the quaintness of Branford or Mystic, Conn., and places like Clayton and surrounding towns won't rise to the level of Raleigh's "sophistication" for another 50 years, and Raleigh won't rise to the level of D.C.'s or Atlanta "sophistication" for 50 years as well.

Raleigh and North Carolina's "niche" in the American landscape is to be the tree-filled "nice part of the country" that's a great place to raise a family. And though quite populous, its hundreds of small towns and "Mayberries" continue to cast a southern-style, small-town feel across the state, even over its biggest cities.
Not as foreign as you might think. Those places, at least within city limits aren't the hick towns you remember. They are basically bedroom communities for Raleigh. Johnston Schools are actually better than Wake's now, if you can believe it.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,399,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
^^ And yet, there are people who come on here, admit they didn't really do more than read some posts and come visit for 2 days, then wail to high heaven about how awful it is here. It does wear one out after a while.
And then are some people like me....who chose this area because of a better climate, slower place and plenty of healthcare opportunities. Visited once prior to moving, loved place and still love the place 3 years later! My kids and grandkids are in the Northeast...and we still won't go back!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:45 PM

248 posts, read 533,751 times
I grew up in NJ, lived in FL for 5 long depressing years, now I'm in PA for 3 yrs. We are debating between a move back to NJ or to Cary, NC. NJ is so expensive, and the winters are too long and cold for me. But after reading some of these posts, a move to NC is worrying me. We only have a few weeks left to make the decision. I just to want to get to NC and not be excepted. I want my next move to be permanent.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:08 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sak9210 View Post
I grew up in NJ, lived in FL for 5 long depressing years, now I'm in PA for 3 yrs. We are debating between a move back to NJ or to Cary, NC. NJ is so expensive, and the winters are too long and cold for me. But after reading some of these posts, a move to NC is worrying me. We only have a few weeks left to make the decision. I just to want to get to NC and not be excepted. I want my next move to be permanent.
Eh. You can't toss a rock around here without hitting someone from Jersey or NY.

In Cary, I mean. This place is a suburb. There's no big city nearby for the gigantic billboard/high end shopping/super-tall skyscrapers fix.

If you're cool with all that plus a lack of public transportation, you'll be fine.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 PM

273 posts, read 561,428 times
Quote:
Cary is basically a suburb of NY/NJ, lol. Only the weather is warmer This coming from a New Yorker(Northern NY) who lived in Cary for a little while. I find that most northerns i run into are friendly, especially when they know you are from NY, etc. Just something in common/conversation starter. Most of my friends here are from the North.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:28 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,233,825 times
Did OP indicate where he was relocating to and if it was back home?

Old 05-20-2011, 03:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
We've been here 21 years, coming from New Orleans.

Have lived in Manhattan and Los Angeles among others the lack of public transit is what I miss the most.

Interstates are very poorly designed and unlighted.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:13 PM

161 posts, read 328,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
I am a recovering and reconnecting Catholic. That said, I think there's a reason the South is referred to as the "Bible Belt" and there's a reason the North East is referred to as the "Rust Belt."

The Churches here are very strong - lots of "small group" and "Bible study" and "Rosary Group" activity if you are into it. I am not, but have many friends and neighbors who are. I have had just about every religious group knock on my door and try to save my soul. (I have gotten clever about making them stop - Don't come any closer! I have leprosy!) Jesus Saves is more than just a slogan here. Church, Temple, place of worship - it forms an amazing support network when you find like-minded people with similar traditions (Christmas, Kwaanza, Rosh Hoshannah, etc.)

So, I think it's both. Anyone - correct me if I'm wrong ??
There is a difference, and I'm not in NC, I'm in Virginia. But there is definitely a difference. But the Rust Belt is not the NE; it is the Midwest, because of their reliance on industrialization. Most of the NE moved past heavy industrialized economy back in the 60s.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:19 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,667,756 times
Quote:
But after reading some of these posts, a move to NC is worrying me. We only have a few weeks left to make the decision. I just to want to get to NC and not be excepted. I want my next move to be permanent.
Visit and do your due diligence. DO NOT let opinion drive your decision. Especially from people that you don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary