Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 08:49 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
I have a pecan tree that grows in 50% sun just fine. I get pounds and pounds of pecans every November and eat them through the holidays. I don't do anything to take care of it and it still treats me well.

The tree was in the backyard when I moved and is at least 10 years old.
Makes fantastic wood for BBQ too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 10:34 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Asian persimmons are very different from the native American persimmon -- non-astringent, for example -- but neither are they as cold-tolerant. Used to be that Asian persimmons were grown only in Florida and Texas, but you could take a chance here and try one. Global warming may be in your favor. I have family in Alabama who are growing lemons successfully... unimaginable not that long ago.

https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/growing...north-carolina

Old 10-28-2018, 11:30 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Asian persimmons are very different from the native American persimmon -- non-astringent, for example -- but neither are they as cold-tolerant. Used to be that Asian persimmons were grown only in Florida and Texas, but you could take a chance here and try one. Global warming may be in your favor. I have family in Alabama who are growing lemons successfully... unimaginable not that long ago.

https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/growing...north-carolina
I have two Asian persimmon trees. One is astringent, one is not.

The non-astringent tree bears ripe fruit earlier. I had a bountiful harvest in September and shared with friends and neighbors. The flavor is bland compared to the astringent type. The seeds are small and tender -- chew and swallow.

The astringent tree bears ripe fruit in late October and November. Don't harvest until after the first frost. Fruit harvested too soon will be powerfully astringent. Resist the temptation! Fruit harvested after frost will be (mostly) sweet. The astringent variety fruit is a bit smaller but rewards you with a stronger flavor. The seeds are larger and spittable.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:00 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Planning to plant a couple peach trees. What varieties do well in this area?

I'm looking for that deep peach flare, where you feel it in the back of your jaw. Any suggestions on the best tasting peach varieties?
We picked up a peach tree at Lowes a couple of years ago and it is doing well. Diseases are not a problem, squirrels are! I am not a big peach connoisseur so I can comment on deep peach flare. No matter what variety you put in, it will take about two or three years to produce any fruit.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:53 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Instead of planting short-lived trees like Bradford Pears, imagine what a streetscape of Zelkova cultivars would look like, and for a much longer lifespan:
https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/all/zelkova-serrata/

I expect to install one of the zelkovas in the spring, to replace my sorry looking 25 year young bradford pear.

For the OP:
I would talk to the good folks at NCSU Extension for guidance on peaches.
They can be tricky, and may require a fair amount of attention to provide fruit.
https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/s...ategory=edible

Or, I might lean toward a Redhaven.
https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/a...sica-redhaven/
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I am not sure, but this is pretty good peach growing area. The Sandhills is the best area in the state for peaches. They are not no maintenance, though, if that's a concern for you like it was for the OP. Any fruit tree here is subject to pests be it insects, fungus, or those darn thieving squirrels and birds and deer. Check out the cooperative extension resources. https://peaches.ces.ncsu.edu/peaches-home-gardeners/
Thanks for the info and links.

We haven't planted peach trees because I'd read where they require regular applications of fungicide and insecticide and even then you could lose the tree to peach borers if you weren't careful.

Plus, you'd have to fight the squirrels for the peaches, and I figured I could buy great peaches at the farmers' market.

Well, I figured wrong. I haven't had an ache-in-the-back-of-my-jaw peach since I moved here. The peaches we get are just so so.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:02 AM

Fig trees are easy to grow. Our neighbors have one doing fine with a lot of shade. We had one in full sun. If you like figs, they are a good bet.

Blueberries aren't a tree, but can be grown into a tall hedge. As long as they are grown in loose, mounded soil so their roots aren't in wet, clay soil (we mix in a lot of compost and pine fines) they do great. Do need to net them or the birds will strip them bare.

Persimmon trees seem to do well. If you like persimmons.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:13 AM

Bradford Pear trees are gorgeous but don't actually produce edible fruit.

Spring blossoms are beautiful but have an unpleasant odor.

However, the big problem is that the trunk branches off. Eventually these branches split down. We've ben told that 20 years is about the maximum you can reasonably expect from a Bradford Pear.

A lot of Bradford Pear trees were planted after the devastation of Hurricane Fran in 1996. Twenty some years later, these trees are splitting apart.

We had our Bradford Pear pruned every other year. Finally, last year our tree guy said we'd have to start cabling it to keep it from splitting. We decided to cut it down. The trunk had a big gray split across the center.

I would not recommend the tree

Old 10-29-2018, 05:28 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Fig is probably the easiest to grow, but once the crows and grackles discover the fruit you won't get any for yourself

Old 10-29-2018, 07:08 AM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
I have a few pear trees that do well (Moonglow). I rarely get any of the fruit as a wide variety of critters seem to like them. I've observed 6 raccoons in the trees at one time.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:50 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bradford Pear trees are gorgeous but don't actually produce edible fruit.
Gorgeous for one week. Spend the rest of the year worrying if the limbs are going to blow off. Can't wait to cut mine down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary