Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 AM

241 posts, read 934,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Now I kinda feel bad about selecting June to visit The Mouse House ... I really did not think of the weather around that time since it has been a while since my last visit to FL . Well too late to retreat now, the accommodations are paid for and the wheels are already in motion .. darn . We will just have to make the most of it and party like it's 1999
I am more concerned about my 6 year old who hates prolonged walking and heat. She loves the cooler temperature and hates to walk and I think at 6 years old a stroller of any kind is probably out of the question . Maybe they could carry their Razor Scooters to glide around
Next time... go in October/November and visit to the food and wine festival at Epcot... it's SO fun! And if you go later in November, you'll get to see the Christmas Lights, too (the Osborne Lights are fantastic!). The weather is perfect that time of year... although, the parks close a little earlier.

I've been at the parks in May, June and July. Not the best... BUT there are lots of water feature things that mist out water, shoot out water etc etc. The kids love them. If you run from air conditioned attraction to air conditioned attraction, you'll be just fine And if it gets really bad... go back to the hotel and swim all day!

It's fun there no matter what time of year... you just need to be prepared for it. Drink lots of water, maybe have a break in the early afternoon, get your fast passes early and then find indoor things to do etc etc.

Have a wonderful time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,539,498 times
Quote:
Now I kinda feel bad about selecting June to visit The Mouse House ... I really did not think of the weather around that time since it has been a while since my last visit to FL . Well too late to retreat now, the accommodations are paid for and the wheels are already in motion .. darn . We will just have to make the most of it and party like it's 1999
I am more concerned about my 6 year old who hates prolonged walking and heat. She loves the cooler temperature and hates to walk and I think at 6 years old a stroller of any kind is probably out of the question . Maybe they could carry their Razor Scooters to glide around
Never been myself, but my neighbors/coworkers who go say the stroller age is much higher in Disneyworld - 6 should not be a problem. You can tell her that she can walk and be tired and fussy or get pushed around in comfort. You figure when she finally is tired she'll sit quietly in the stroller resting.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Never been myself, but my neighbors/coworkers who go say the stroller age is much higher in Disneyworld.
Agreed. I'm over 40 and make my kids push me around DisneyWorld in one. Really saves the wear and tear on the ole feet, and my Disney Princess dress stays cleaner.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:29 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,881 times
Never taken the train to Orlando but plan to someday. It's an overnight ride with actually a pretty convenient schedule. Leaves around 9pm from Cary (plenty of time to wrap up work for a day, get your family together, and get to the station), and arrives around 10am to Orlando. Would be miserable in coach, probably pretty awesome in a sleeper.

You would need to either rent a car at the Orlando station, or catch a taxi to WDW or wherever you're going.

Undeniably the system at WDW is set up to cater to people who fly rather than take the train.

Read here for some info on the subject. MouseSavers.com - Amtrak to Disney World or Disneyland

Old 05-17-2011, 05:27 PM

842 posts, read 2,587,351 times
Folks, we no longer own a stroller since our kids are now 6yrs and 9yrs old respectively. How would especially a 6 yr old hold up with the amount of walking that Disney requires? Any strategies to share here

Old 05-17-2011, 06:05 PM

892 posts, read 3,160,676 times
I have yet to see Disney with a kid that tires before I do. One mom shopped often which gave her kids (and the rest of us) time to sit in the a/c and do nothing. Another packed lunches which we ate in the parking lot followed by a long sit (or nap). Frequent meals/snacks in air conditioned places was another strategy. Plan ahead so that there is no in-fighting which causes general bad moods and lethargy. Most importantly, watch the sugar intake and amount of time in the sun.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Folks, we no longer own a stroller since our kids are now 6yrs and 9yrs old respectively.
Disney rents single and double strollers for a few bucks a day. Available at the entrance to each park.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:14 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,351 times
Default Tips

Have not been to "The Mouse House" in years and in light of 9/11 I do not know what is allowed through the gates. Are we allowed to carry backpacks/cooler etc in the park? Also, is there anything that we are not allowed to carry in beside the obvious things like weapons an other contraband ? Do they have locker rentals inside the park and if so if it worth the cost?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:19 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,659,752 times
backpacks are ok, you can put snacks and drinks in there if you like.
Coolers are not ok.
they have lockers at the entrance but I have never used them so I am not sure the cost.
Strollers can be rented at the entrance for ~$10 per day, maybe more.
I have 6 year old twins, we stopped taking strollers at 5... they never tire out at disney before I do.. never.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 AM

FYI - They do search all backpacks and purses before you enter the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary