Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 41,282 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a 37 year old single heterosexual woman looking to move to the triangle area for a job in Chapel Hill. I also have the option of moving to other towns for work (DC, Santa Cruz, Baton Rouge), but I'm drawn to the friendliness, slower pace, natural beauty, and affordability (compared, at least, to San Francisco, where I currently live) of NC. My question, though, is whether there is a sizable population of single men around my age in the area, or whether the vast majority of people over 30 are married and settled down? I've been protected from having to deal with this problem, having lived in a big city (though in SF they are mostly gay! ) for some time. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,764,637 times
Here's my take:

The Raleigh area is FILLED with naturally beautiful women...there are not a lot of "10's" here but a lot of 8's and 9's and the majority are good girls that are without question marriage material. Something in the water here, people have good values.

Conversely, there is a serious shortage of men here. If you are a good looking, well off, well spoken guy in Raleigh, you will CLEAN UP as there is not a lot of competition. GREAT place to be a single guy looking for fun or long term situations with great girls.

So to answer your question....me personally, as a straight guy who is secure in his sexuality to say it...this place does not have a lot of top talent in terms of guys. I'd say there is a major shortage in fact. If youre looking for mid 30's up....I'd say your prospect pool is even worse.

Now maybe someone with more hands on experience than me just noticing, observing, looking, and watching can chime in and provide their experience, but thats my .02. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Here's my take:

The Raleigh area is FILLED with naturally beautiful women...there are not a lot of "10's" here but a lot of 8's and 9's and the majority are good girls that are without question marriage material. Something in the water here, people have good values.

Conversely, there is a serious shortage of men here. If you are a good looking, well off, well spoken guy in Raleigh, you will CLEAN UP as there is not a lot of competition. GREAT place to be a single guy looking for fun or long term situations with great girls.

So to answer your question....me personally, as a straight guy who is secure in his sexuality to say it...this place does not have a lot of top talent in terms of guys. I'd say there is a major shortage in fact. If youre looking for mid 30's up....I'd say your prospect pool is even worse.

Now maybe someone with more hands on experience than me just noticing, observing, looking, and watching can chime in and provide their experience, but thats my .02. Good luck!
Uh, Rory, if this was your eHarmony job audition.... Yer fired...

Old 02-03-2011, 11:00 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,371 times
I am a 35 yo woman and find lots of guys to date in the entire Triangle area. White collar or Blue collar, I have found lots of both types that are cute, nice, smart guys.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 AM

6,448 posts, read 9,805,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighkc View Post
I am a 35 yo woman and find lots of guys to date in the entire Triangle area. White collar or Blue collar, I have found lots of both types that are cute, nice, smart guys.

I think Rory has just been looking in the wrong places lol

Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,733 times
I think it's what you make of it. I've lived in DC, a small mountain town, and now Chapel Hill. I think it's generally easier to meet folks in second or third-tier cities. However, sometimes you have to use some different strategies. Some ideas: the Meetup hiking club, which has more than 3,000 members; the NC Art Museum's Young Contemporaries group; and Match.com. My friends and I all use Match.com, as we work independently. I found a great boyfriend on the site and met many other interesting, worthwhile guys, although there wasn't a love connection. In some place like Raleigh, you'll have better continuity than DC, which is a place folks move in and out of all the time. I found my social circle there very transient.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:46 PM

182 posts, read 492,465 times
interesting thread! so how would you compare Raleigh-Durham to Charlotte in terms of quality of living and single women dating, etc. I'm 45 but a young, active 45 and am considering areas in North Carolina...the frustration I've found with dating is the word "PROFESSIONAL"...lots of men or lots of women doesn't always mean datable...haha! not being snarky in the least...just clarifying..

Last edited by Southern Sunshine; 02-03-2011 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 02-03-2011, 01:11 PM

447 posts, read 1,619,371 times
I've dated guys with phs, masters, and bachelors and guys with no degrees. My current boyfriend is a carpenter and is absolutely wonderful. It depends on the guy. I've never dated in Charlotte so I can't compare it to there. I've been dating (and was married to an advanced degree guy for a few years) in the Raleigh-Durham area for 17 years and have never found a shortage of quality professional or blue collar fellows. I'm a pretty outgoing person and always meet people everywhere, so it also depends on how hard you want to meet somebody.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:18 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,160 times
At one time in the last century I vaguely recollect being young and single. Depending on your interests, the NC Museum of Art Young Contemporaries (noted above) and the Raleigh Ski and Outing Club are two fine options.

I have to admit that when I was doing college recruiting the young college grads I hired were much more attracted to Charlotte and Atlanta than Raleigh but I believe Raleigh/Durham sorta comes back in for singles in their 30s and 40s. We have a number of single friends in that age bracket and they seem very happy here.

Good luck,

Frank

Mike J - too funny!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:21 PM

11 posts, read 41,282 times
Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate it! The abundance of beautiful women in the area is not exactly good news for me(!) but it does generally indicate a healthy lifestyle and decent quality of life, which is a good thing. I visited the area for the first time recently and I thought, damn, this is so small! And, being that I visited Chapel Hill pretty much exclusively (I would be working at UNC so I would like to live close) everyone seemed so young and fresh-faced, and that's not really where I'm at. I think I might have outgrown living in a college town.. and yet, from what Ive heard, Raleigh (the major non-college-oriented area in the area?) seems blander than bland. Good to know, though, that the online dating scene for people in their mid 30s doesnt seem so bad, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary