Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM

544 posts, read 852,404 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a pretty flimsy ordinance to me. What is the difference between riding your bike down the street and riding your bike illegally in the street? When does retrieving a ball that has rolled into the street, become playing in the street.

I think it would be fun call your favorite TV station and have them do a troubleshooter segment on the lady who doesn't like kids playing in a cul du sac. It would be fun to see the lady try defend *that* position. Just watching the reporter and photographer knocking on her door would be quite entertaining. And at some point, I would imagine the police department will classify her complaints as nuisance calls.

Find a sympathetic town council person and/or county commissioner and take it through the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 PM

86 posts, read 277,699 times
Default Possible mental illness

To the OP,

If you decide to go to speak with her in person, you might wish to take along a neutral third party.

A neighbor of mine slowly slipped from normal to in need of psychiatric care, so do not assume that you are dealing with a person in normal mental health.

Lana

Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
Sounds like a pretty flimsy ordinance to me. What is the difference between riding your bike down the street and riding your bike illegally in the street? When does retrieving a ball that has rolled into the street, become playing in the street.

I think it would be fun call your favorite TV station and have them do a troubleshooter segment on the lady who doesn't like kids playing in a cul du sac. It would be fun to see the lady try defend *that* position. Just watching the reporter and photographer knocking on her door would be quite entertaining. And at some point, I would imagine the police department will classify her complaints as nuisance calls.

Find a sympathetic town council person and/or county commissioner and take it through the process.
The ban on children playing in the street was a pretty big discussion point a while ago, esp. when they included language referring to the parents as accomplices to the children's illegal playtime.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:44 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
It just boggles my mind that there's an actual law against kids playing in the street. It's one thing if it's a major thoroughfare, but a cul-de-sac? What harm does it do? Sheesh.

I grew up in a neighborhood full of kids my age. We played in the street constantly. Not only is it a shame that it's against the law, but your neighbor needs a hobby - and a life. My sympathies to you.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:32 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana537 View Post
To the OP,

If you decide to go to speak with her in person, you might wish to take along a neutral third party.

A neighbor of mine slowly slipped from normal to in need of psychiatric care, so do not assume that you are dealing with a person in normal mental health.

Lana
Interesting possibility. I know my dh worked with a woman who was having similar difficulties after a certain medical procedure. They ended up firing her or mandating early retirement.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 PM
MEM MEM started this thread

123 posts, read 405,833 times
Well we took it to the town council at their meeting tonight. It didn't go so well They said they wanted the suggestion of the Police Chief.

He happened to be there and said he was against it, even for culdesacs. His reasoning was safety, large toys in the road hindering service vehicles, and that the majority of children are not well-behaved or supervised I'm not quite sure if that's true.

They are going to consider it but I don't think they have any reason to change it, I mean it doesn't really impact them.

Thinking about it afterwards I wish I could have asked the Police Chief about the enforcement of this law. From what I see kids play in the streets everywhere around here. When we went door to door with our petition there was not one person who even knew about this ordinance. This "law" is not stopping the behavior and his own staff even told this they don't want to enforce it unless they are forced to. I guess it's just our bad luck that we have the one rotten apple.

If this does get shot down, what could our next steps be? Anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:41 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I'd start calling the police on her for taking pictures of my kids.

If you want an ordinance changed you and your neighbors need to start making some noise at town council meetings (or whatever the equivalent is in Apex).

Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
I don't know about Apex, but in Morrisville we have lots of advisory committees; your concern would come under the "public safety" committee's purview, and the appropriate action would be to write a letter to that committee. The committee would then take it under consideration and make a recommendation to the town council, who would vote on it. It takes a while, but things do get done. Maybe check and see if Apex has a committee like this. Having a petition and taking it directly to a town council meeting could work, too.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
There's nothing illegal about taking photos of children.

She is most likely mentally impaired, and if she is, there is nothing you can do. The law is on her side.

If you worked hard to get the law changed, I'd worry she'd run over a child to prove the danger of playing in the streets.

I'd consider moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'd start calling the police on her for taking pictures of my kids.

If you want an ordinance changed you and your neighbors need to start making some noise at town council meetings (or whatever the equivalent is in Apex).

Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 PM
MEM MEM started this thread

123 posts, read 405,833 times
Thanks for everyone's replies. I actually posted an update in post #16.

We have been taking the kids over to the adjacent culdesac to play where we also know everyone on it and they all have kids and are happy to have them all play out there together. The police told us that if the neighbors are ok with it then there is no problem.

Based on mine and other neighbor's information and observations we really don't think she is mentally ill so even though we have a temporary solution we still would like to change this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary