Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:20 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times

Advertisements

Suntrust is one bank I will NEVER give my money to. They charged us every time someone cashed a check we wrote out of order (never heard of this before in my life) and when we finally had enough of the other issues we were having with them and closed our accounts, they reopened it twice (months later) when someone made fraudulent charges against our account and charged us with over draft fees. We contacted the BBB to find out how a bank can reopen an account that we closed and found out that they had no right to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 03:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
You can easily see where the holds are and how much money you REALLY have available to spend.
This is a good description. However, it's not a perfect system:

Good old fashion paper checks don't show up until they've cleared - so if you've written a check, you have to keep track of that yourself.

I've noticed that pending bill payments (if you use online bill pay) have a tendency to disappear temporarily into limbo on the day they are paid. They will not appear in your list of pending payments, nor will they show in your account transactions.

P.S. I've never had the problem with transactions at the gas pump not showing up immediately. I never use debit at the pump as I am fearful of "skimmers," so I always process as a "credit" transaction.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 PM

360 posts, read 995,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Jmana, that is what the little folder that comes with your checks is for. Write down all your transactions and do the math. Don't rely on the bank to tell you how to manage your money.

You must work for the bank, because I have heard that excuse so many times. What kills me, in this day and age, with all the technology, that you can't accurately tell me how much of the money in my account I can spend when I call your 800 number. Why even tell me if it's not accurate?? Ohhhh, that's right, because I wouldn't bounce my account and rack up $$$$ in fees, makes lots of sense to me now

Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
This is a good description. However, it's not a perfect system:

Good old fashion paper checks don't show up until they've cleared - so if you've written a check, you have to keep track of that yourself.

I've noticed that pending bill payments (if you use online bill pay) have a tendency to disappear temporarily into limbo on the day they are paid. They will not appear in your list of pending payments, nor will they show in your account transactions.

P.S. I've never had the problem with transactions at the gas pump not showing up immediately. I never use debit at the pump as I am fearful of "skimmers," so I always process as a "credit" transaction.
Yep, they are so old fashioned, I hardly ever use them!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Yep, they are so old fashioned, I hardly ever use them!
Hardly ever? Why would you bank with them at all if you don't like them?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:42 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
I recently closed my accounts with Coastal, which I had had for many years. IMO, their customer service and general attitude toward members just stinks, and their interest rates on deposits are way too low. What a useless credit union! On the other hand, SECU is just the opposite. If you can, go with SECU. If not, then go with First Citizens.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:12 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Quote:
Hardly ever? Why would you bank with them at all if you don't like them?
I'm a bit confused here. I didn't say I didn't like banks. I was talking about writing checks 'so old fashioned, I hardly use them'.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I'm a bit confused here. I didn't say I didn't like banks. I was talking about writing checks 'so old fashioned, I hardly use them'.
Oh that makes sense! Sorry I thought you were talking about Wachovia. I agree with you - I only use checks for the occasional odd bill. I have a pet peeve about those who still use checks in the store, and so carefully fill out the check and their register (never ahead of time!) in the most careful penmanship.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Oh that makes sense! Sorry I thought you were talking about Wachovia. I agree with you - I only use checks for the occasional odd bill. I have a pet peeve about those who still use checks in the store, and so carefully fill out the check and their register (never ahead of time!) in the most careful penmanship.
While your ice cream melts.....

Old 02-06-2011, 10:55 AM

Location: Raleigh, Rolesville, Cary, Garner, Clayton, Fuquay-Varina, Knightdale, Holly Spring, Apex, Durham
12 posts, read 27,494 times
Actually, I've been banking with Wachovia for over 10 years and I really never had any trouble with them. Banks are now following better regulations have improved practices to cut down on fraud (i.e. bad checks, identity theft, etc.) and irresposible bank management by their owners (i.e. people like you and me.) Banks have to protect both your and their investment by checking millions of transactions each second to ensure that your account has not been compromised by theft or fraudelent activities. So if it takes a bit longer to prevent these activities, then by all means, I encourage it. I was a victim of ID theft Jan. 2010 and it was the swift actions of Wachovia rep that notified me about these unusual transactions. Revisit Chase now, they could be taking similar precautions with their transaction and way of doing business. Also, it could be the time of day the transaction was initial processed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary