Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 17,912 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My partner and I are seeking to relocate to the Triangle area of NC (from upstate NY). I went to college in Charlotte and am a little familiar with NC in general, but only traveled to the Triangle once for a basketball game.

She has an interview set up at the end of this month and we are planning to visit to see if the Raleigh area might be a good fit for us. We are a twentysomething lesbian couple, both in professional careers. We're planning to scope out some neighborhoods to live and for entertainment as well.

So, my questions are: What should we see/do (on a weekend) that might give us a good feel of the area?

Are there any specific areas that are LGBT friendly or have a high percentage of 'young professionals'?

Are there any areas that might have a funky/alternative feel with shops, restuarants, etc.?

Note: We've lived in very urban areas (DC/Maryland) and more suburban areas with little or no nightlife/diversity (central FL, upstate NY) and we're looking for something in the middle; not huge crowds but cultural diversity would be ideal.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:53 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Howdy-

The Triangle is very GLBT-friendly (I am a gay man who grew up here and has been in the "community" for 30 years), but kind of lacking in traditional "nightlife". Any of the points of the Triangle would be fine for your family, but Durham is kind of known more for Lesbians. The one "girl bar" here is Steel Blue near downtown Durham (they are men-friendly but it's probably 80%+ women--Raleigh's bars are more male). Ninth Street in Durham is the "funky" area (near Duke East Campus) and that's also the part of town where NC Pride is held every year. If you like singing or chorus concerts, the Common Woman Chorus is a longstanding Durham group. And, my favorite weekend of the year is the NC Gay & Lesbian Film Festival which is held in downtown Durham.

The area in general has many mixed-sex GLBT groups, such as bowling leagues, softball, book groups, parents' groups, etc. But there is quite a bit of mix with the nongay community, so it's not insular at all. It can take some "tapping into", thoug, which is why it's a good idea to go to some group things just to meet a few folks and hear about other goings-on.

Where is your partner's interview (what city)? As I say, anywhere in the Triangle would be no problem, but if you get to pick, Durham is "where the women are" moreso than Raleigh, so to speak Chapel Hill/Carrboro is the most liberal part of the state, and Carrboro is particulalry "crunchy" if that's your scene.

You can PM me for more info by clicking on my name, above.

Last edited by Francois; 02-04-2011 at 10:04 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 06:18 PM

Thanks Francois! That sounds amazingly promising. My partner has been sold on the idea of Chapel Hill, but it's great to know Durham is also very friendly. She has an interview in north Raleigh so we'll have to look into what the commute would look like from Durham.

Thanks again!!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
I'd suggest Chapel Hill/Carrboro. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
the commute from Durham to North Raleigh might be challenging on a daily basis. I'm always eager to convince people of Durham's awesomeness, but the cute neighborhoods near downtown Raleigh might be better for you--Cameron Village, Boylan Heights, Five Points...

good luck!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Please beware of the more rural towns.

A TV story from Clayton told of constant harassment of an LGBT family ending with the destruction of their home by arson.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9067141/

One town resident interviewed said that Clayton was a family oriented town.

Stick with Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill. My diverse North Raleigh neighborhood would welcome you, but the downtown areas others suggested would offer you more clubs and activities.

Good luck.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 PM

892 posts, read 3,161,630 times
Necessary to write that Clayton could still be considered as it is a family oriented town and does have its fair share of LGBT couples with intact houses.

Last edited by playnice; 02-07-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
Necessary to write that Clayton could still be considered as it is a family oriented town and does have its fair share of LGBT couples with intact houses.
For how long?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:09 AM

289 posts, read 489,585 times
Saturnfan-
I know local LGBTs, all with their houses intact. Don't judge too harshly or quickly. The media loves a good story.
Arson Evidence Does Not Point to Gay Hate Crime
Arson evidence doesn't point to gay hate crime :: WRAL.com

Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 AM

Thank you everyone for the feedback - it is much appreciated! I am printing it out and will take it with us when we come down. As far as the rural areas go, we are very much less inclined to live in a rural area just because we've done enough traveling through rural areas to know where we don't feel as safe/welcomed. And, I am completely open to the idea that we have our own biases against rural areas as well - that may be contributing to our discomfort. However, it is just our preference to stick to the larger, more diverse areas.

Again, thank you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary