Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2006, 09:12 PM

37 posts, read 109,650 times

Advertisements

I would like to know where (if) any,There are excellent school distircts and/or schools in the greater Raleigh area.I was there last weekend and I was told that schools are not that great,and that the districts DO NOT listen to parents.Also,bussing students across town,even though there may be a school closer to your home.Is this true? We have a 12 year old,kind hearted,good natured son,that is an honor roll student.We are very serious about his education.We are a hispanic family and business professionals.
What's your take on the following?
1.Magnet school
2.Charter school
3.Public school
4.Provocial school
We are also looking for a desirable nieghborhood to live in that is a family oriented.
We will rent at first,until we become familair to the area's of desirable interest.
Thanks to all,

Last edited by ontheroadagain; 08-22-2006 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: spell checkl and grammar corrections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 06:26 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,397,577 times
I don't think most area parents find the Wake County school district has bad educational quality, there's just alot of ill feelings by those who have to deal with frequent reassignments, mandatory year-round schools, etc.
The county is growing very rapidly, especially in the suburban areas, and they can't build schools fast enough to accomadate all the new growth. Thus, reassignments and shuffling is common.
From what I've seen, those who live in the central urban core of Raleigh have very little problem with this because that area doesn't have such rampant growth (it's already developed) and has plenty of schools already there in place. But the rest of the county has come to see this as a regular thing. Maybe some day the schools will catch up to all the growth. But as you can see on this board new families are moving here all the time and there seems to be little slowing that. It's just a way of life here for many.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:29 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,016,708 times
HI!

We almost moved to austin a couple of years ago! my hubby works for tivoli and he was in austin for about 3 months, and we went with him and really fell in love with the place.

so, raleigh and schools. I think some of your concerns are valid. In many districts (the ones where people are moving in at a regular pace) do change. it is simple math, the schools get overcrowded, there is no other solution. Yes, let's say you decided to live the wakefield subdivision in raleigh (north raleigh close to wake forest), when it was first built, they were able to have the neighborhood kids attend the school. Now, they are in the process of building another elementary school, so some kids in the neighborhood are going there. they are also considering changing the school to year round to help alleviate some overcrowding.

So, basically, you really cannot depend on a location for a school district depending on where you are planning on living.

I think there are good magnet schools in the area. it all depends on how far you would like your kids to have to travel. Definitely check the wake county public school website (wcpss.net) and that will give you some additional information. I know there is a great charter school in wake forest (franklin academy) and it is next to impossible to get into (1200 applications for 120 spots).

I don't know anyone who goes to a private school, although i grew up going to one!

anyhow, let me know if you have any other questions. I don't know that I answered any, I just know as a parent, the school districting issue has been a challenge for me and my kids are not even in school yet.

leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary