Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:53 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
Before this thread runs out of steam, and rightly so, I'd like to thank all who posted. I will make sure that wherever we end up, it's not against community rules to hang sheets out on the line or grow berries in the front yard. I'd never even thought about that sort of thing being a problem.
You ABSOLUTELY should! But just know that there are neighborhoods where you can, as well as can't do these types of things all over the triangle. I live in Cary and can happily grow whatever I want, wherever I want, as well as hang my skiviies out for all the neighbors to see too!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM

109 posts, read 342,988 times
PatRoy1,

I don't think you will have any problem finding a place that suits you in Cary - or anywhere else in the Triangle that you might like. There is a lot to choose from here, which is wonderful.

Surprisingly, even neighborhoods with HOAs can be reasonable to deal with. It all depends on the tone of the neighborhood and the specific rules. Some are very restrictive, but many are not. In some cases the homeowners have amended the rules over time to allow for more flexibility.

I'm sure you'll do plenty of research before you buy. Choose a few neighborhoods you would like to live in and walk around in it midday. Strike up a conversation with people you see out and about. If it has an HOA, get a copy of the current covenants and read them. You'll learn quickly if it a community you would feel comfortable joining. If not, move on to one of the other many options

Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,845,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
How about that! Yep, I had American and Canadian friends over there and they quickly learned to adjust their behavior, conserve more and become as stingy as the rest of us I don't miss those tiny manual steering cars and hi priced gas; oh and the unions...they made us green whether we wanted to or not with all their strikes - no electricity for you today - until I get a raise. And yes, many folks try to be as sensible or green as possible but some folks seem to lose all sensibility about it all.
Yeah, but... we parked and walked more.
And the strikes... ugh! I agree there!
As for the cars, I have a small SUV because I had a fender bender in a small car that really scared me. I felt so vulnerable when everyone around me was in a truck or huge SUV. It's just physics. So thank goodness I could choose a bigger vehicle!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:01 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Yeah, but... we parked and walked more.
And the strikes... ugh! I agree there!
As for the cars, I have a small SUV because I had a fender bender in a small car that really scared me. I felt so vulnerable when everyone around me was in a truck or huge SUV. It's just physics. So thank goodness I could choose a bigger vehicle!
ha! I'm with ya!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:01 AM

12 posts, read 25,948 times
Somebody call a Waaaaaaahbulance! Five minutes searching this forum and you would have learned Cary is exactly as you described and Carrboro is where you should have moved. However, I think we would get this post no matter where you lived, live will live.

What's with all this RDU area bashing! I moved here three years ago. I find myself loving this place more and more as time passes. This forum was incredible helpful in finding the perfect spot for my family.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,580 times
I totally appreciate this post! We're moving to the Triangle area from AZ (yuck!), and are desperately searching for hippies & jews... in the Bible Belt!

Everyone we know has recommended Cary, but we're leaning more toward Carrboro, Chapel Hill or Hillsborough. I want to live in an area that has a variety of viewpoints, which we've been sorely lacking in the 4+ years we've lived in AZ (imagine Cary on steroids - with guns!).

All this is said very tongue-in-cheek - I really appreciate all the honest dialogue that I've seen here. Good luck in Cary - and maybe we'll meet at a farmer's market some day!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaroth View Post
I totally appreciate this post! We're moving to the Triangle area from AZ (yuck!), and are desperately searching for hippies & jews... in the Bible Belt!

Everyone we know has recommended Cary, but we're leaning more toward Carrboro, Chapel Hill or Hillsborough.
Um, who are these idiots who recommended Cary to someone looking for "hippies & jews"?? I'm guessing people from AZ who've never been to the area? Seriously ... this is the funniest thing I've read on here in a long time!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Um, who are these idiots who recommended Cary to someone looking for "hippies & jews"?? I'm guessing people from AZ who've never been to the area? Seriously ... this is the funniest thing I've read on here in a long time!

Really. I'm not Jewish and I shave my legs.

I do, however, recycle.

If you want hippies, go to Carrboro. No... really. It's actually a lovely place.

The Jews are all intermingled. If you want Hindus and Buddhists, otoh... Cary's your town.

(I say this as the mother of two lovely, half-Asian kids, so please folks, take it as kindhearted humor)

Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaroth View Post

Everyone we know has recommended Cary, but we're leaning more toward Carrboro, Chapel Hill or Hillsborough. I want to live in an area that has a variety of viewpoints, which we've been sorely lacking in the 4+ years we've lived in AZ (imagine Cary on steroids - with guns!).

All this is said very tongue-in-cheek - I really appreciate all the honest dialogue that I've seen here. Good luck in Cary - and maybe we'll meet at a farmer's market some day!

Hillsborough is gorgeous. And more affordable than Chapel Hill and Carrboro. I have a friend that lives there and loves it. They're over in Hardscrabble Plantation.

I'd move there if the hubby would give in. I love Cary, don't get me wrong... but there's something about downtown Hillsborough that I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary