Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:44 PM

102 posts, read 205,320 times

Advertisements

Good spot for a restaurant/bar? Better than MacGregor Village -- US 64 & 1? Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 05:15 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,764,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers View Post
Good spot for a restaurant/bar? Better than MacGregor Village -- US 64 & 1? Thx.
I would say no. It's empty over there....not much life, however that may mean you're one of the few options. I wouldnt open a place there unless it was a huge differentiator or carried a big national name (fatburger ir something). way too risky and not enough activity.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,164 times
Not quite sure why that area is not thriving. I was very disappointed when the Kroger went out of business, and then even more saddened when The Loop closed. Blockbuster will go belly up soon. The Harris Teeter shopping center (opposite side of the street) is a typical non-descript strip mall - but still stays relatively full. I agree with other poster, maybe a bit risky for a non-chain.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Not quite sure why that area is not thriving. I was very disappointed when the Kroger went out of business, and then even more saddened when The Loop closed. Blockbuster will go belly up soon. The Harris Teeter shopping center (opposite side of the street) is a typical non-descript strip mall - but still stays relatively full. I agree with other poster, maybe a bit risky for a non-chain.
WestPark needed Kroger to succeed and draw traffic. And when Kroger announced they were coming, Harris Teeter really kicked into gear with a marketing and coupon blitz.
$10.00 off on a $50.00 purchase, and we got that monthly.
And they offered excellent service, something I don't think of at Kroger.
HT defended their turf very well, IMO.

And I find the WestPark shopping center awkward to get into, coming west on High House Road.
When the SCV HT opened, we started going there, as did many other people, and the Kroger croaked.

As far as the OP goes, it would be hard to get excited about a road house there.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 PM

We're considering the Loop location, also the Fratello's location in MacGregor. There's another location too by Wake Tech. So where's a good spot? One that doesn't $20+/sq ft? Granted it's only a few people's perspective but, all I hear is there used to be a really good restaurant/bar then for whatever reason, out of business. The other side of the coin is go with a national/chain place, then all I hear is we don't need another chain restaurant. Confused!

Last edited by BabyBoomers; 02-06-2011 at 12:10 AM..

Old 02-06-2011, 06:46 AM

I just remembered the Wake Tech location. Millpond Village, there's a nice spot with an outdoor patio. Also, not to give away too much info, our concept is a cross between the Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood, and Dave & Busters. Serving a wide range of breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:57 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,764,863 times
Quote:
We're considering the Loop location, also the Fratello's location in MacGregor. There's another location too by Wake Tech. So where's a good spot? One that doesn't $20+/sq ft? Granted it's only a few people's perspective but, all I hear is there used to be a really good restaurant/bar then for whatever reason, out of business. The other side of the coin is go with a national/chain place, then all I hear is we don't need another chain restaurant. Confused!
What we are saying is (this is my perspective), if i was to open a restaurant there, the only way is if:

It had a national name that was still exclusive to the area (ie a houstons, or fat burger, or something that isn't anywhere else in the triangle but still carries a name to help drive demand)

It was a niche product that forced people to travel to that area just for that item (ie some kind of out of this world bread or something)

Even then i would think long and hard. That shopping center just isn't that populated, and you have a history of businesses going under there, and in terms of development and population, that area just seems like an afterthought. Very risky.

Not sure what your idea is, but if it's just another restaurant, I would pony up the extra money and go somewhere with a higher chance of success.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:00 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,598,158 times
Quote:
I just remembered the Wake Tech location. Millpond Village, there's a nice spot with an outdoor patio. Also, not to give away too much info, our concept is a cross between the Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood, and Dave & Busters. Serving a wide range of breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I would definitely go to your restaurant if it was in Millpond Village. That location is 10 minutes west of my house on Ten Ten Rd. That said. . . . . we would go to your restaurant once to try it out, but if it didn't have a Gluten-Free menu, we wouldn't go back. What can I say. . . . my wife is a member of the family too, and if there is nothing for her to eat, then we can't go back.

We've just started going to a new small restaurant on Ten Ten called the Lighthouse grill. It's in that small strip mall near highway 1. The owners are Indian, so I can get Indian food. They serve breakfast all day, so my wife can get eggs and bacon (both gluten-free). And, they have a lunch that consists of 2 Boars Head hot dogs on a sub roll for $4.50 which includes a drink and chips. My 5 yr old son loves that. And I love the price. Family of 4 can eat lunch there for under $20.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:09 AM

Definitely a Gluten-Free menu.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 PM

200 posts, read 358,728 times
I would not lease at MacGregor Village! I worked there for many years, and it was VERY slow. Hardly any foot traffic, mostly destination shoppers for a specific store. The competition of Crossroads Mall is pretty stiff and not that far up the road.

The West Park place location fights that same battle: Beaver Creek is close by for many local residents and so is Stone Creek Village. MANY restaurants in those locations!

The concept you mentioned might be a good fit for around the RBC, NC State arena, fairgrounds area?? There is some good expansion going on there and not as many restaurants that offer something besides wings and subs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary