Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 AM

15 posts, read 36,420 times

Advertisements

I live in a 750 square foot apartment in Raleigh. I've been paying Progress energy bills (Electric Central Air and Heat) that come in around $50 to $60 dollars.

I look online today and my bill is $110....I haven't changed my usage at all. In fact, I've been turning the heat off at night to save energy.

Is this at all normal? Shouldn't winters be less expensive than summers?

What's up? Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:10 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,809 times
First thing to check is your Kilowatt (KW) usage month to month. if it is in fact the same than yes something is seriously wrong. If your usage is up find out on your bill where it says something like KW/H = $0.xx cents and you can do the math. Take your KW/H usage and multiply it by the actual KW/H used and you should come up with the price less the misc. graph and corruption adders (that would be the Tax adder on your bill and surcharges, etc.)

Is summer bills more than winter bills it depends how hot the summer is versus how cold the winters are. It also depends if you run summers at 72 degrees and winters at 72 degrees......it is all relative to what you think is comfortable in each season.

Good luck and for your bill to be so much more, I would think something is wrong like maybe a mis read on your meter or something was left on during the month that you were not aware of....

Old 02-09-2009, 10:21 AM

Just spoke with someone who lives in my complex..their bill is incredibly high as well.

My usage apparently did double from last month. I wasn't home for Christmas, so that can account for a bit of an increase, but other than that, I did nothing to use so many more - in fact, I'd say I used less by turning the heat off.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,467 times
Yes, but the outside temperature may be playing more of a role in this than you expect. It was still pretty warm in November and December. In January it got pretty cold. So if you had your thermostat set at 68 all three of those months, you would have a higher bill in January because your heat was kicking on more often and probably for longer in order to maintain 68 degrees. Even with turning it off at night, the daytime usage may have been enough to push your bill that high.

You might want to do a little weatherproofing to make your apartment more energy efficient. You can get plastic to put over the windows for pretty cheap at Walmart, and thermal curtains (or any thick curtains) will help to insulate your windows, which are a major source of heat loss.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Rates rose 10% last month - rate increase,

Old 02-09-2009, 01:32 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musburger View Post
I live in a 750 square foot apartment in Raleigh. I've been paying Progress energy bills (Electric Central Air and Heat) that come in around $50 to $60 dollars.

I look online today and my bill is $110....I haven't changed my usage at all. In fact, I've been turning the heat off at night to save energy.

Is this at all normal? Shouldn't winters be less expensive than summers?

What's up? Am I missing something?

Thanks.
I don't know for sure, but I can tell you that my bill in the winter has always been higher than my summer bill. It seems like the power company follows suit behind the gas providers. The recent rate hike probably also contributed to the bill, but as I said my bill always goes up substancially during the winter months.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:51 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Was it an estimated reading or actual?

Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 PM

446 posts, read 1,394,578 times
My bill is much higher as well. Not sure if my new 50" Plasma has a lot to do with it.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:17 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musburger View Post
I'm guessing you have electric heat? I used to do that to but I've since kept it on always but at a lower temperature. If you turn it off at night and then on again in the morning the heat strips will kick in. Heat strips = major $$ to operate. By useage was higher turning if off and then on again then just leaving it on a set temp, say 66F.

If you do want to turn it down, turn it up by 1 degree, wait for it to warm up, then turn it up again, etc. Otherwise the heat strips will kick in (you should have an indicator on your thermostat) and that'll cost 'ya.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
Yes, but the outside temperature may be playing more of a role in this than you expect. It was still pretty warm in November and December. In January it got pretty cold. So if you had your thermostat set at 68 all three of those months, you would have a higher bill in January because your heat was kicking on more often and probably for longer in order to maintain 68 degrees. Even with turning it off at night, the daytime usage may have been enough to push your bill that high.

You might want to do a little weatherproofing to make your apartment more energy efficient. You can get plastic to put over the windows for pretty cheap at Walmart, and thermal curtains (or any thick curtains) will help to insulate your windows, which are a major source of heat loss.
Yes, I can tell there's a lot of cold coming in through the windows.

I'm guessing that is probably it; however, I really don't have the heat on during the day at all. 5 days a week, the heat is on 5 hours on automatic fan (i.e. it's not constant).

Can open windows equate to double the amount of kilowatt usage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary