Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:13 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times

Advertisements

enough of the negative threads of late.

How about hearing what people DO like about living here!

I'll start (duh....LOL)

I grew up here, so... it's home. For me and hubby, theres a level of comfort and familiarity in knowing the backroads and short cuts. and some distress at seeing something that wasnt there the last time we drove by LOL

other than that- the weather. yeah- i whine when its hot and whine when its cold... and whine REALLY LOUD when it snows... but compared to a lot of other places, its not that bad.

Convenience to beaches and mountains- a few hours either way. cant beat it (although, we are getting ready to move down to wilmington to be closer to the beach )

The Raleigh Farmers Market - just can't be beat! peaches, tomatoes, watermelon, blueberries, strawberries, corn... mmmmmmm summertime!

and, i hate to alienate our newer residents... but i love the locals! Theres nothing like sitting together with old friends and talking about ' the good ol days!' LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 03:24 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I've lived here for over 37 years. I've traveled quite a bit and something that I miss when I travel is...

The TREES! The Carolina Blue sky. The people! The fresh air. The seasons (well, really, I don't like the heat of summer but do enjoy the beach. And I don't like the snow but love the fresh cold air). So mostly, I love spring and fall...especially the fall! The BBQ! The people!

Vicki

Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 PM

476 posts, read 1,297,044 times
The trees, the easy living, the fun things to do, the close proximity to mountains and good beaches. Most of all the people!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
enough of the negative threads of late.

How about hearing what people DO like about living here!

I'll start (duh....LOL)

I grew up here, so... it's home. For me and hubby, theres a level of comfort and familiarity in knowing the backroads and short cuts. and some distress at seeing something that wasnt there the last time we drove by LOL

other than that- the weather. yeah- i whine when its hot and whine when its cold... and whine REALLY LOUD when it snows... but compared to a lot of other places, its not that bad.

Convenience to beaches and mountains- a few hours either way. cant beat it (although, we are getting ready to move down to wilmington to be closer to the beach )

The Raleigh Farmers Market - just can't be beat! peaches, tomatoes, watermelon, blueberries, strawberries, corn... mmmmmmm summertime!

and, i hate to alienate our newer residents... but i love the locals! Theres nothing like sitting together with old friends and talking about ' the good ol days!' LOL
It's a beautiful state, there is a lot of fun things to do outside, mountains are unbelievable, beachs are nice if you enjoy water activities, but having lived in Ft. Lauderdale for almost 30 yrs I had enough of hanging out at the beach, though I still enjoy it ocassionaly. The mountains are my favorite, but with all that said there is something missing here and I can't put my finger on it. I was born and raised in NYC and I guess I live in the past too much.... ! This is Not the Northeast !

Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
The weather, although I'd be happy to skip over July and August. The moderate cost of living and moderate traffic. The employment opportunities afforded by RTP and surrounds.
But most of all its the general quality of life, of which local friends and family play a big part.

Frank

Old 02-08-2011, 03:54 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Well...I've lived here 60 years.....I think the thing I like the most about living here is that no matter how many places I've been to in the area, and as well traveled here as I think I am there is still some little corner or some road I stumble down where I find something or someone completely new and fascinating. I just love kicking stones over so I can see what's under them. For instance...I've found dozens and dozens or ways to get back and forth to North Myrtle Beach. Just ask my wife

Old 02-08-2011, 04:09 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
for me it's the "cocktail" of affordable housing, great East Coast location, improving infrastructure, reasonbly good weather and very affordable golf

Old 02-08-2011, 05:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I like all the local breweries!

Old 02-08-2011, 05:55 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Well...I've lived here 60 years.....I think the thing I like the most about living here is that no matter how many places I've been to in the area, and as well traveled here as I think I am there is still some little corner or some road I stumble down where I find something or someone completely new and fascinating. I just love kicking stones over so I can see what's under them. For instance...I've found dozens and dozens or ways to get back and forth to North Myrtle Beach. Just ask my wife
me too! I always seem to find a "new way" return to Raleigh although not on purpose
My fav things...the excitement of summer approaching and that first beach trip - usually Myrtle and catching a live band or beach music show as well as lunch at Murrell's inlet. Next, the excitement of fall coming and the change from humidity to crisp air and the scent of pine. Catching live shows in raleigh and Durham at DPAC and Christmas celebrations around town. Even Knightdale Christmas Parade which is about as small town as you get, it's all about family there. Sorry, couldn't narrow it down to one thing

Old 02-08-2011, 05:57 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I like all the local breweries!
Are you sure you aren't from the UK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary