Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 05:48 AM

68 posts, read 153,332 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if there are many high school age children in Wescott.
We just moved here--and I have 2 high school age children who are attending HSHS. I would very much like to get my kids exposed to the other kids their age in the neighborhood, but not sure how to go about it in an inconspicuous way. Are there any type of regular neighborhood activities where the older kids would attend....or would it make sense to have a party and hope that people bring their kids along? We are new to the state....the region....the south.....this entire part of the county. I am not sure what is customary in these parts . Advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
We also have preschool children too, so mothers or fathers who can point me in the direction of play groups, parent groups, or activities for parents who are home with preschoolers would be really appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 05:55 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,433 times
i think teens instinctively kind of find each other.

school, after school jobs, hanging out on weekends, church (if thats your thing)... all that jazz

i wouldnt have a party. id have been mortified and an outcast if my folks had tried to do that to me! and no way would i have gone to a party with my folks! not if i had any say about it. blech... (i may be in my 30's now but i definitely remember these things! LOL)

look on meetup for preschool groups, or again, church, stuff like that.

it all falls into place. dont try so hard.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:21 AM

68 posts, read 153,332 times
well... I didnt actually mean a party just for the kids. I was thinking more a party to get to know people in the neighborhood and that kids would come along. I guess that is not likely to happen here anymore than it would have back home.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,756 times
Can't help you with the teens, but I recommend the Holly Springs Library and Cultural Center for the preschoolers - they have story times for babies through pre-K (4) and puppet shows, special crafts, etc in the cultural center. They also have classes and things for older preschoolers through high school, I think, so that might even be a starting point for your teens too.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:32 AM

109 posts, read 343,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinorbit View Post
well... I didnt actually mean a party just for the kids. I was thinking more a party to get to know people in the neighborhood and that kids would come along. I guess that is not likely to happen here anymore than it would have back home.
It's worth a try! We had a BBQ in our backyard not too long ago and almost everyone's kids came - even the older HS age ones. Some of the ones who were driving age and did not stay long, but they still stopped by. I have found it very refreshing that this is an area where families do a lot together and seem to actually enjoy spending time together socially. Just for your kid's sake don't make it seem in any way "for them" or they would be mortified and feel like social cripples.

There are so many sports/activities for kids to do around here you might want to do some research on what evenings would work best to make it easier for people to attend.

If you have preschoolers you will have no problem meeting people. Play dates with their preschool class, a local Mom's group(MOPS or any one of the groups you can join online), Town classes, the Y, kinder music etc etc. Many of my closest friends I met through those avenues when my kids were that age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary