Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM

24 posts, read 51,289 times

Advertisements

Hello - due to a job relocation we are moving to the Cary area on short notice. Can you please offer some insight into the "best" neighborhoods in Cary? Priorities for us include great location, low crime and good schools. We're moving from Atlanta so are expecting the home prices to be much more reasonable and would be comfortable going to $450,000 but would like to go lower if possible (and based on my quick research it looks like we can in this area). Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,230 times
i can't think of a neighborhood in cary that doesn't have all those things! definitely look in the newer west cary area (area code 27519).

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-12-2011 at 11:40 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 07:05 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,417,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisykirk View Post
Hello - due to a job relocation we are moving to the Cary area on short notice. Can you please offer some insight into the "best" neighborhoods in Cary? Priorities for us include great location, low crime and good schools. We're moving from Atlanta so are expecting the home prices to be much more reasonable and would be comfortable going to $450,000 but would like to go lower if possible (and based on my quick research it looks like we can in this area). Thanks for the help!
While you will have no difficulty finding a wonderful home in Cary in your price range, I think you'll find the median price is a bit higher in Cary than in Atlanta.

Atlanta: median income $49,981
median home price $257,200

Cary: median income $83,292
median home price $305,300

These are 2009 figures.
BTW, Cary is a wonderful place to live! Welcome!

Last edited by ljd1010; 02-13-2011 at 07:48 AM..

Old 02-13-2011, 07:09 AM

43,262 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
What sort of house?
New construction or resale home?
You will have many choices in W Cary as the last poster mentioned, as well as other areas in town.

Highcroft
Wellsley
Carpenter Village
Highcroft Vilage
Cary Park
Westpark
Brookstone
Devereaux
Montclair
Tatton Place
Lansdowne
Amberly
Cameron Pond
Preston
Coles Creek
Greystone
And more....

Lots of neighborhoods have a home here and there that pops up, but may only have one home on the market at any one time.

Commuting destination and preferred distance?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
You can find that pretty much anywhere in Cary.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,417,348 times
To the OP - just saw that you posted a similar thread on the Orlando, FL forum about 8 weeks ago. Did that move get nixed?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:38 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, our original move to FL was nixed or redirected rather - and this is the replacement move. Going to start looking up these suggestions now. Appreciate the help!

Old 02-20-2011, 10:56 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wegmans View Post
i can't think of a neighborhood in cary that doesn't have all those things!
I agree. Based on this criteria alone, anywhere in Cary will do. You might also want to consider commute, shopping and noise due to proximity to the railroad or airport.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM

Thanks for all the help. Commuting destination for work is SAS. Does that change your listing of potential neighborhoods above? Also, is there any site that gives descriptions of all the different Cary neighborhoods? Coming from Atlanta (I live right in town), there are clear differences amongst many of our neighborhoods that are all within the same 5 mile area. I'm wondering if that is the case in Cary as well or if things are a little more suburban and similar there. Thanks for the help

Old 03-23-2011, 05:59 PM

43,262 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the help. Commuting destination for work is SAS. Does that change your listing of potential neighborhoods above? Also, is there any site that gives descriptions of all the different Cary neighborhoods? Coming from Atlanta (I live right in town), there are clear differences amongst many of our neighborhoods that are all within the same 5 mile area. I'm wondering if that is the case in Cary as well or if things are a little more suburban and similar there. Thanks for the help
Within a few miles of SAS, there is great diversity in neighborhoods, from mid $100,000's for single family, to well above what you mentioned as your budget.
The neighborhoods mentioned are not changed, but you may also consider W Raleigh, too, and some more central Cary neighborhoods.
I would add Weatherstone, Weston Pointe, Silverlake at Silverton in Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary