Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:34 PM

8 posts, read 29,155 times

Advertisements

Hi All, We've got a rising Kindergartner and have been looking into schools around the area. We've toured Charters (and the ones we applied for we did not get in through the lottery this year already), magnets (of the 5 we saw, I saw nothing exemplary in the academics as they follow the standard NC course of study), and toured Thales (have not bought-in to the whole Direct Instruction Method) and Carolina Friends (not into that style of school either, no offense to anyone, just our personal opinion). I come from Poland and my husband comes from India and we are used to pretty rigorous academics, from Kindergarten on up. We just find that the schools here, at least in the Cary area that we live in, are pretty lacking what we are used to and looking for.

That having been said, I've heard great things about academics at DA. We will be taking a tour but I'd love to hear any opinions and personal experiences at the school, specifically for the lower school, since that is what we are aiming for. I've heard it's quite a diverse school, with it being private and all, and that it's academics are rigorous (but have heard this moreso for the upper school than lower school). I want to hear all the bad stuff too, if you've got bad stuff to say about it! We want all the opinions we can get!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,195,151 times
are you sure you want your kindergartner commuting from Cary to Durham for school? seems like a lot of lost time for a kid so young.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:40 PM

797 posts, read 3,581,768 times
Wow, enjoy your $20,000 a year tuition. Place is very nice (good friend is a teacher there), but he*l, he can't even afford to send his kids there. He says its nice, but its a bubble and really insulates your kid from growing up in a real world environment (if thats what you want for your kid, more power to you, but I certainly don't want that with our daughter), and more so, its not worth the $ it costs. Its INSANELY expensive.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 PM

Interesting thoughts - thank you all! I would definitely drive my kid 30+ minutes if I had to in order to get really good academics. The way that they teach in the public schools just doesn't cut it from what my husband and I went through when we were in schools overseas (and they way it still operates overseas).

I don't want schools to teach them about the real world - that's my job as a parent. I want the schools to give them a strong academic foundation.

Thanks for your inputs again!!

Old 02-13-2011, 05:08 PM

187 posts, read 803,743 times
If you're not worried about tuition price I would check out Cary Academy out by SAS - the school has a good reputation for academics ;-)

Old 02-13-2011, 06:00 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,683 times
Cary Academy has 6-12th grades only.

What about the Raleigh School for elementary? Or Ravenscroft in Raleigh?

Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM

49 posts, read 153,366 times
When we were researching schools for our kids - we concluded that Durham academy was the best all-around school in the area. This is considering academics, mentorship, positive social environment, support, teachers, etc. We did a lot of research.

As others have mentioned, Cary academy and Ravenscroft are also very good. The Catholic schools are also very good - there are a number of them in the area and all have a common curriculum.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:14 PM

599 posts, read 1,653,793 times
What catholic schools are good? I am curious.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 PM

Dianeh - thanks for your input. I'd definitely take a closer look at Cary Academy but it is 6-12 so it's out of the loop for us for now.

WeLuvNC - about Ravenscroft, I've heard that as far as academics go, they're just not strong enough and there is a lot more hype about this place more than anything. Plus, we want strong academics without religious-affiliation. The Raleigh School goes to 5th grade. We'd love something to go until 12th but thank you for mentioning it. I haven't looked into it and will definitely now do so!

carolinakid - thank you for your input on DA. I've PM'd you because I'd love to know a bit more about the research you have done. As far as Catholic schools, we are buddhist so we strongly prefer to have a school with no religious-affiliation and strong academics.

Thanks to all of you!!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 PM

49 posts, read 153,366 times
We have always sent our kids to private schools but in the end - I think the kids are going to get as much out of it as the parents put into it. We make sure that our kids are in the advance classes (math, writing, or science) and make sure they get good grades. But I think you can do the same in the public schools.

If educating your kids starts when you drop your kids off at school and ends when you pick them up - I don't its not going to matter what school you send them to. The hard part is helping them with the work and getting them TO DO the work. Its hard enough nowadays just to get them to do their choirs and clean their room. On top of that you also have to help them excel at school work. Its a lot of work for the parent especially after a days work. I'm pretty tired at the end of the day. Dealing with the whining is the hard part for me. ;-)

Mossy - I heard most of the catholic schools are pretty good. From what I have heard they all have waiting list. I don't know all of them - but the ones I hear about in the RDU area:

- Saint Mary Magdelene
- Saint Michael
- Lourdes
- Catherdal
- Immaculata
- Saint Rafael
- Saint Thomas Moore
- Cardinal Gibbons (I remember seeing this school in a USA today list of top 50 schools in the country)

I might be missing some - if you google it - might find more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary