Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 10,261 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My hubby and I (no kids, 2 bad cats) are considering a move to the RTP/Cary area due to my job and his schooling. We are from the midwest (Kansas City) and would really like to find a neighborhood that is eclectic, diverse and walkable. But also safe.

Our price range for a home would be upto 200K but we likely would rent until we know the area better.

We are both older, early 40's so we are not looking for a place with alot of loud energy late at night... we are both bookish, coffeehouse, arty movie types who are trying to live a green/organic lifestyle. A farmer's market within walking distance or on a bus route would be IDEAL! Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,387 times
check out Durham. The neighborhood of Duke Park is full of bookish, green, farmers market types. and is it ever eclectic. google beaver queen pageant for a taste of what makes that neighborhood click. I think you can find homes for around $200k, but it's more of a $250+. Northgate Park in Durham is just north of Duke Park and housing is more affordable.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:22 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
check out Durham. The neighborhood of Duke Park is full of bookish, green, farmers market types. and is it ever eclectic. google beaver queen pageant for a taste of what makes that neighborhood click. I think you can find homes for around $200k, but it's more of a $250+. Northgate Park in Durham is just north of Duke Park and housing is more affordable.
Also check out Old West Durham http://www.owdna.org/. There are always homes for under $200K and fits your description perfectly. You can find everything you need on 9th and Broad St. You are a little further from the Durham Farmer's Market http://www.durhamfarmersmarket.com/, but you can get there by bike. You will find The Regulator Bookshop | Durham's full service independent bookstore since 1976!, Francesca's Desert Cafe FunD Caffe, Whole Foods, lots of local restaurants, and more!

And NRG took great pics of what you will typically see at the Durham Farmer's Market.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...rs-market.html

Old 02-13-2011, 03:52 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,032 times
I had a little chuckle when the title said "Eclectic, walkable neighborhoods" and your first line talked about moving to the Cary/RTP area. Don't think there are any "Eclectic, walkable neighborhoods" anywhere around Cary.

When I think of eclectic and walkable I think of Chapel Hill, but that is probably out of your price range. Don't know about prices, but the parts of Durham the others talked about would definately fit your description.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:09 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
I had a little chuckle when the title said "Eclectic, walkable neighborhoods" and your first line talked about moving to the Cary/RTP area. Don't think there are any "Eclectic, walkable neighborhoods" anywhere around Cary.

When I think of eclectic and walkable I think of Chapel Hill, but that is probably out of your price range. Don't know about prices, but the parts of Durham the others talked about would definately fit your description.
yes, I also laughed...not at all what they are looking for. I like the Durham suggestions and would also add inside the beltline (ITB) for more choices for walkability. Your budget will be an issue for ITB buying but you might be able to rent or buy a small house and update it.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:34 AM

157 posts, read 617,240 times
Yeah, downtown Raleigh neighborhoods are nice but really expensive compared to what you can get in a nice hood in downtown Durham. For example, $250k can get you a nice older home in downtown Durham in a nice tree lined hood walking distance to activities but in DT Raleigh, that will get you a small fixer upper...Unless of course you move into one of the less desirable "up and coming" downtown Raleigh hoods.

I love both, would prob like DT Raleigh better due to being more city but couldn't afford it. Durham is my home for now though and does just enough for me...Best of all, it's still growing and getting better...

Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM

355 posts, read 957,931 times
Your description screams Carrboro to me, but the price tag could be pretty difficult (it could be difficult most places actually, this area isn't all that cheap), unless you're ok with a fixer-upper and/or a small place and/or a transitional neighborhood. As a whole, the area is not exactly known for high walkability save for a few areas mentioned above. You can explore walkability using walkscore.com, which computes ratings based on how easy it is to get around on foot for your basic needs. I would start with where you'll be working and where he'll be going to school first, and then work backwards from there. Otherwise, we're kind of shooting in the dark here. Also, search the previous threads in this forum, as this topic has come up numerous times (I posed the same question myself once).

Old 02-15-2011, 05:24 AM

171 posts, read 430,157 times
It's a generational thing. The younger generations want walkable urban neighborhoods (read a recent report by the ULI for evidence).

Problem? Lots of demand. Little supply.

You can either pay up for a 600 sq ft fixer in Chapel Hill/Carrboro or you can invest in an up and coming neighborhood in DT Raleigh or Durham. The residents of the up and coming neighborhoods want eclectic walkable urban neighborhoods as well and they're active in the community making it happen. I chose an up and coming in DT Raleigh and am quite happy with my decision.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:47 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,680 times
Carrboro is doable. At 200-225K, you'll be looking at a narrow selection of older homes, 2-3 bedrooms in the 1000-1200 sf range. Two on the market now (one on main, one on Blackwood) that are in the heart of downtown where you'd be getting everything you say you are looking for.

As noted above, there will be a much bigger selection in your price range in Durham, and it is much more centrally located than Carrboro.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 AM

662 posts, read 1,643,956 times
I sent the OP a message, but throwing out Five Points as an option. It's walkable to everything you need to live, and bus stops to take you elsewhere. We even have a tiny farmer's market on the weekends. We walked to the end of Glenwood last night for an anti-valentine's show and over the weekend biked into downtown. There are pros and cons of course, as with any place, so it's not for everyone. Houses are pricey and you can't walk conveniently to the nearest chain grocery store. Some areas are near railroad tracks and can be noisy. Probably in your price range you would need to look at fixer-uppers or homes further from the FP epicenter. But it's a great location and worth considering in light of your wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary