Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:14 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a 26 year old male from the Hartford area of Connecticut considering relocation to Raleigh, NC. I know, this is probably the 500th thread about this, but I would like to lay down my concerns in a personalized way.

As I've stated in another thread, I visited the Raleigh-Durham area back in September of 2009 and left generally impressed with the area. I liked how clean it was everywhere, and the greenery and modest terrain were beautiful. But, I only spent about 24 hours there, which hardly gave me an accurate feel for the area. I simply drove around the area, including Durham, Chapel Hill, RTP, Cary and Raleigh itself, and stopped at a Panera Bread to grab some dinner, but that's it. I stayed in a hotel. Needless to say, I had a positive vibe with Wake County overall.

With that said, I have been researching the area for almost 3 years now. So, unlike many other posters on here, I am very well educated on what the area is like and what it has to offer. Of course, I wouldn't pull the trigger and move unless I spent more time visiting there.

Now, the reason why my interest in Raleigh has been reignited is because I stumbled upon a job opening (online) that I am 100% well qualified for. It is located in Morrisville. I'm so tempted to apply for it, and I know I have a winning resume. However, I am only 10 months into my current job, which is an excellent place to work, with excellent benefits (a utility company). The job itself, however is okay at best, as I really dont like it too much, if that makes any sense. Currently earning $65K.

So what should I do? I can't stand Connecticut in the winter, not to mention the cost of living. As you all know, we have had a BRUTAL winter so far. Yet, I am concerned that I may take a significant pay cut by moving to Raleigh. And, all of my family and friends are here in CT, so I would have to start building new relationships from scratch down there. I am okay with that, I think, because I am an introverted homebody in general; very reserved. I'm also gay, but I am aware that Raleigh is progressive and no one cares, as long as I'm not obvious about it. I used to be concerned about the southern accent, but now I don't think it would really bother me much. I'm sure I can get over it within time.

At the end of the day, Raleigh seems to have pretty much exactly what I want. It's not too urban, and not too rural. There are more warm days than cold days, and apparently people are more laid back than up here in New England. Politically, I am also a moderate, which seems to be very aligned with NC. And, it seems that my goal of owning a home could be attained significantly sooner than it would in CT, where $200K can only buy a small ranch that needs a lot of updating, with super-high taxes. It seems like it would take years just to make a 3.5% downpayment on a crappy home up here. And being single doesn't help the financial situation either.

I'm also concerned about cost of living versus income. Online calculators actually say that I would be slightly worse off in Raleigh, due to significantly lower pay than here in CT. A net annual loss of about $800. That's not good! But sigh...I feel like I need a change. Been in CT for over 90% of my life. But, family is here. Ugh!

One thing that has turned me off, though, is that people seem to complain about exponential growth of population and traffic. I'm not sure I like that...I'm trying to get away from that! Is it really that bad?

Oh, and I'm nonreligious/agnostic, but keep to myself about it. I know, NC is the outskirts of the Bible Belt.

Anyway, what would you do, based on my thoughts outlined above? In short, I think it would be a bad career move, but a good living move (althought I would have to pay about $3,000 to break my lease here).

Last edited by nep321; 02-13-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

One thing that has turned me off, though, is that people seem to complain about exponential growth of population and traffic. I'm not sure I like that...I'm trying to get away from that! Is it really that bad?

If you're from here, especially if you've never been elsewhere, yes it's bad. If not know it's not. The traffic is 10x worse than it used to be in the area. At the same time, even at the peak traffic times during daily commutes the delay is 10-20 minutes tops versus clear roads. To see the view of the area for locals vs transplants seek out Francois" Yellow/Red paint post. You'd likely see the traffic and wonder what the fuss is about, relative to most metros in Bos-Wash corridor.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
ROFL. It's okay for YOU to want to move here and add another car to the roads. And you know this is a popular place for transplants. See where I'm going here?

Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
Although you can't stand CT winters, have you experienced a southern summer? Just sayin'...

It sounds like you've given a lot of serious thought to the move. Honestly, the best thing I ever did in my life was move away from family. Not to say I don't love them, never talk to them and rarely visit. They're not insane or anything - I just needed to take charge of my own life and make my own choices (and deal with the consequences).

Don't put much stock in the online calculators as they don't seem to give a particularly accurate picture, but rather more of a ballpark. Visit Raleigh again to see how it's changed since you were last here, but if you have a job lined up, take a chance. It doesn't sound like there's much you love in CT... other than family... and last I checked there were direct flights from RDU to Hartford (double check my memory, though!) If you could find a company that gives you relocation as part of the job offer, you'd be golden. Get an apartment, give it a year and see how it goes. Moving trucks go both ways if you don't like it here. But if you do, within a year you will be able to know much more about the area and the places you might like to buy a home.

And trust me when I say I don't tell many people to move here.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:

So what should I do?
I hope you realize that no stranger(s) on the Internet can tell you what you "should" do--that needs to come from within. I'd say apply for the job--realizing that most jobs here get over 100 applications these days, strong resumes or not--and see what happens. If you get an interview, schedule a few days to come down and check it out while you're interviewing.

Quote:
I think the Raleigh-Cary area was rated the #1 metro area in the US for population growth. Take that as you will. Your moving to the area would of course add to that

Quote:
Oh, and I'm nonreligious/agnostic, but keep to myself about it. I know, NC is the outskirts of the Bible Belt.
That would not be an issue.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
Aside from opinions about the area, let's get to the meat of your post.

Yes there may be a job opening, but there are a lot of unemployed North Carolinians. I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, but don't bank on moving down here for a job. If you truly want to move here (or anywhere) you need to have a plan that doesn't rely on landing a job while you're hundreds of miles away. Just my two cents.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
How about you actually applying to the job first before worrying about all of this stuff. Do you know how many people are out of work in the Raleigh area and have the same qualifications as you right now? A lot, and fact is, employers are usually going to hire locally because they want to have the person start as soon as possible. Now if you actually get an interview, take several extra days to visit and then if you get an offer MAYBE ask these questions.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Anyway, what would you do.
I'd apply for the job first. Then if you get called for an interview build in a few extra days to visit the area a bit more to see if it is for you. Then if things actually pan out with a job offer I'd weigh the pros and cons and make my decision.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'd apply for the job first. Then if you get called for an interview build in a few extra days to visit the area a bit more to see if it is for you. Then if things actually pan out with a job offer I'd weigh the pros and cons and make my decision.
This is very good advice!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:37 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Well, i just applied for the job. I'm sure nothing will come of it, due to the unemployment that already exists in Raleigh, and the obvious fact that i'm hundreds of miles away lol. But at least if it doesn't work out, I will know that it wasn't meant to be, and will just move on with my career here in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary