Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,199,229 times

Advertisements

In Forbes' latest study, Raleigh ranks 2nd in the nation in its rate of attracting college graduates relative to its population over 25 years of age. The only city in the nation that tops Raleigh in this category is New Orleans: due to its rapid demise and now emergence from the Katrina disaster.

See the article here: us-biggest-brain-magnets: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

It appears that Charlotte has also done pretty well but not well enough to make the top ten. BTW, Durham is not included because the study only looked at the 50 largest MSAs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 AM

310 posts, read 576,138 times
Surprising to me. Having moved from Austin (#3 on the list) the population here seems much older. Maybe I'm not hanging out at the right places here but no matter where you go in Austin you see a bunch of fresh faced kids. There is no avoiding them.

The article says "Along with Raleigh-Durham, Austin is emerging as the next Silicon Valley". I'm not sure what they really mean by that. There is not much "Silicon" going on around here. Maybe they are including Biotech, but "Silicon Valley" to me means electronic HW development and while there is some going on here it pales in comparison. The Triad is closer to what I think of as "Silicon Valley" than the Triangle.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:43 PM

73 posts, read 167,539 times
^^^hmmm... You know I'm trying to see your point, but to be honest... I don't. Cisco, IBM, SAS.. Ring any bells to you??? UNC, NC State, Duke... Do those ring any bells either?? You know I am just going to guess here, but let's say between those three schools, not counting little ones there are 60000 kids there in undergrad programs... Ok? I bet the percentage of students who stay in this area after graduation is at least 50%. That's a huge amount of 22-25 yr olds just from those sources right there... Not to mention others moving here. I believe the average age in Cary is 35 with a net household income close to 100k. That is avg in Cary. I don't know where you're looking but there's tons of young people and technology around here. It's what we're famous for. The article was dead on. And the area is attracting more high tech companies to move here.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalGal View Post
^^^hmmm... You know I'm trying to see your point, but to be honest... I don't. Cisco, IBM, SAS.. Ring any bells to you??? UNC, NC State, Duke... Do those ring any bells either?? You know I am just going to guess here, but let's say between those three schools, not counting little ones there are 60000 kids there in undergrad programs... Ok? I bet the percentage of students who stay in this area after graduation is at least 50%. That's a huge amount of 22-25 yr olds just from those sources right there... Not to mention others moving here. I believe the average age in Cary is 35 with a net household income close to 100k. That is avg in Cary. I don't know where you're looking but there's tons of young people and technology around here. It's what we're famous for. The article was dead on. And the area is attracting more high tech companies to move here.
...and NetApp and Red Hat and Lenovo....

Technology companies actually led the development of the Triangle with IBM being the big ring leader.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 PM

814 posts, read 2,008,835 times
I agree. And disagree about the Triad having more than the Triangle? Then why is the Dept of Labor pumping money into the Triad trying to revitalize the area?

And, yes, I think they do include biotech. For that, we are huge.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 PM

73 posts, read 167,539 times
^^absolutely! Hooray for Red Hat staying and where on earth would we be without IBM?!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:26 PM

310 posts, read 576,138 times
I'm not saying there isn't alot of high tech stuff around here, but I think EE grads would do better in Austin while Biotech grads would do better here.

The "Silicon" in Silicon Valley means that it is a center for design of integrated circuits (ie things historically made of silicon). There isn't much of that going on here at all. If you want to work with semiconductor design you will have better luck in Greensboro area. OK, so maybe I'm being a bit too literal in my interpretation since Silicon Valley itself is probably more about software and systems (and biotech) than silicon.

Last edited by slim2none; 02-16-2011 at 02:46 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
I'm not saying there isn't alot of high tech stuff around here, but I think EE grads would do better in Austin while Biotech grads would do better here.

The "Silicon" in Silicon Valley means that it is a center for design of integrated circuits (ie things historically made of silicon). There isn't much of that going on here at all. If you want to work with semiconductor design you will have better luck in Greensboro area. OK, so maybe I'm being a bit too literal in my interpretation since Silicon Valley itself is probably more about software and systems (and biotech) than silicon.
It's all made in China now. It's now all about the research, development and support. Oh wait, that's in India.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,348,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In Forbes' latest study, Raleigh ranks 2nd in the nation in its rate of attracting college graduates relative to its population over 25 years of age. The only city in the nation that tops Raleigh in this category is New Orleans: due to its rapid demise and now emergence from the Katrina disaster.

See the article here: us-biggest-brain-magnets: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

It appears that Charlotte has also done pretty well but not well enough to make the top ten. BTW, Durham is not included because the study only looked at the 50 largest MSAs.
What a interesting article! The title from a purely scientific standpoint is well 'non magnetic' or is saying that the area is capable of changing the laws of our physical world. In a purely satire point of view here is my theory:

The brain. It is not metallic in nature but can create a will that is stronger than steel or provide one a 'Iron' constitution. But these are abstract things so let's dive into the world of physical science if we may.

The brain is matter, it is a solid, however it is non magnetic. A magnet is generally a solid but in the case of the earths core it can me a liquid too. Buts lets not dig as deep to the core on this, let's just dig deeper into this material science aspects.

Electron orientation. The atoms that make up the brain needs a North and South pole. Maybe pre Civil War ones could say our country was polarized but we have long moved from that that polarization and our brains remain free and do not act as magnetic polarized material.

Molecule factors. If two or more elements are chemically combined the new material may or may not be a magnet. Sure, chemicals are put into the human body that may or may not be good for the body and may cause mind altering states but none have been witnessed yet that caused the mind to attract magnetic material or a magnet itself for that matter!

Domain factors. A group of atoms in a solid may line up in an orientation that will allow the material to become magnetic. Sure, at some point in time we will all become masters of our domains but its only a figment of our imaginations. Even when our brains are blasted in a high power MRI machine our brains do not become magnetic which is a good thing as just imagine if our heads stuck to the sides of the MRI machines. Ouch!

So in summary, our brains are not magnet in nature and are not magnetically attracted to other magnets or magnetic materials. Nor do we magnetically repel other like magnetic fields or materials. Nope the title of this article just does not meet the requirements of scientific examination I am afraid to say.

However, this area seems to attract all types of people and backgrounds due to many factors beyond pure scientific research and knowledge skills. Personality and perceived quality of life is the logical attraction to the area. Magnetic or not I am stuck on this theory of why so many people like the Raleigh area.

BTW: Up here in Wake Forest you know one of Raleigh's loosely affiliated Electrons its pretty good too!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
What a interesting article! The title from a purely scientific standpoint is well 'non magnetic' or is saying that the area is capable of changing the laws of our physical world. In a purely satire point of view here is my theory:

The brain. It is not metallic in nature but can create a will that is stronger than steel or provide one a 'Iron' constitution. But these are abstract things so let's dive into the world of physical science if we may.

The brain is matter, it is a solid, however it is non magnetic. A magnet is generally a solid but in the case of the earths core it can me a liquid too. Buts lets not dig as deep to the core on this, let's just dig deeper into this material science aspects.

Electron orientation. The atoms that make up the brain needs a North and South pole. Maybe pre Civil War ones could say our country was polarized but we have long moved from that that polarization and our brains remain free and do not act as magnetic polarized material.

Molecule factors. If two or more elements are chemically combined the new material may or may not be a magnet. Sure, chemicals are put into the human body that may or may not be good for the body and may cause mind altering states but none have been witnessed yet that caused the mind to attract magnetic material or a magnet itself for that matter!

Domain factors. A group of atoms in a solid may line up in an orientation that will allow the material to become magnetic. Sure, at some point in time we will all become masters of our domains but its only a figment of our imaginations. Even when our brains are blasted in a high power MRI machine our brains do not become magnetic which is a good thing as just imagine if our heads stuck to the sides of the MRI machines. Ouch!

So in summary, our brains are not magnet in nature and are not magnetically attracted to other magnets or magnetic materials. Nor do we magnetically repel other like magnetic fields or materials. Nope the title of this article just does not meet the requirements of scientific examination I am afraid to say.

However, this area seems to attract all types of people and backgrounds due to many factors beyond pure scientific research and knowledge skills. Personality and perceived quality of life is the logical attraction to the area. Magnetic or not I am stuck on this theory of why so many people like the Raleigh area.

BTW: Up here in Wake Forest you know one of Raleigh's loosely affiliated Electrons its pretty good too!
Very clever! :-)
See folks, this is just the sort of brain that Raleigh attracts!!! Just a few more miles south and this brain will soon join the Borg. Resistance is futile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary