Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 AM

96 posts, read 172,634 times

Advertisements

The time has finally come, going down there tomorrow to ck out the area. The plan:
meet up with our realtor (we'll be renting first) for a half day or so
meet up with new work place for a day
The last day and any other free time will be spent cking out the area and getting a feel for it SO any tips on where to go or what to ck out? we are going to be NW of raleigh near crabtree mall area. that is the vicinity of where we will be renting/working/church etc..

We have a plan don't get me wrong not going down blind but i though i'd ask all of you incase you have any ideas we didn't think of since you all know the ins and outs. I'm sure our realtor will be very helpful as well. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Visit Brier Creek. It's a bear to navigate, but that's probably where you'll find the closest non-mall places to shop, see a movie, or have dinner.

If you're brave, you can go to Crabtree, but it may make you wish you weren't moving here if you go on a weekend.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Actually, if you don't already have a rental, you could rent over in Brier Creek. Easy to walk to shopping and food. I had a friend who relocated out here (was working in RTP with me) and he loved Brier Creek because he was new here and never had to leave the area.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:24 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Yeah, "NW of Crabtree" pretty much points to Brier Creek, especially for someone unfamiliar with the area. Lots of stuff all right there together and easy access to main roads. The parking lot of the shopping center is a nightmare, however.

Last edited by Francois; 02-15-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM

127 posts, read 356,703 times
I would head downtown Raleigh and walk around and see what bars, shops, restaraunts catch your eye. Moore Square area has alot to offer and is less than 10 miles down Glenwood from Crabtree area. There's a Seqway company that does tours downtown, I went last year and it was really fun and informative but about $60 for an hour tour. UNC, Duke and NCSU campuses are all nearby. Chapel Hill has nice shops, artsy feel. The Art Museum is only a few miles from Crabtree and has just gone through a huge renovation/addition. ncartmuseum.org

Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 AM

67 posts, read 157,351 times
When I go to a new area, I like to go to museums and sight see. That's not everyone's cup of tea. You can't possibly see everything in Raleigh alone in a few days. What types of things to do want/like to do: sports, arts, site seeing, etc?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Actually, if you don't already have a rental, you could rent over in Brier Creek. Easy to walk to shopping and food. I had a friend who relocated out here (was working in RTP with me) and he loved Brier Creek because he was new here and never had to leave the area.
realor is cking into this but of the fly didn't think they did any rentals there...

Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 PM

not veyr impressed by the rentals in the area @ $1K price range going to see what's in the $1500-2K pr. the area is beautiful though-WOW, don't want to go back to MA AKA sucksville (IMO anyway)

Old 02-16-2011, 01:51 PM

355 posts, read 958,037 times
With all due respect to some of the other posters, I can't fathom why anyone would spend their time in Raleigh at Brier Creek, unless you're looking to rent there. It's just the same mix of big-box stores that you can find in every single place in the U.S.

Go downtown, find something good to eat (Sitti or Gravy will work), go to a museum, go eat BBQ (the Pit), visit the NC art museum (just south of Crabtree off of Blue Ridge Road), wander the Five Points area and have pizza at Lilly's (there's an art house theater, a few places to eat, and antique shops), see if the Hurricanes are playing, check out a basketball game at NC State, wander shops on Glenwood South and get something to eat (Solas, 510 West, Tasca Brava, others) and stop for coffee (Helios) or check out some eclectic shops, and/or go visit the NC State Farmers Market (it will be a little bare this time of year though, but it is open).

Btw, it doesn't take long to get anywhere from Crabtree - unless it's the peak driving times, downtown is 10 minutes away, Chapel Hill is 25 minutes, Durham is 25.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:19 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
find something good to eat
Go to a Waffle House and enjoy the free entertainment. Get some grits - just don't put sugar on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary