Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:21 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times

Advertisements

The reason for the law governing the "Seller's Disclosure" is that if the seller intentionally lies about mold or anything else on the disclosure, the buyer then has the ability to take legal action against him. I find that MOST sellers try to be honest.

I go over the seller's disclosure with all my buyers and we discuss all parts of it and if the buyer's home inspection doesn't uncover anything...the buyer has the ability to hire other inspectors, etc. I think its more "due diligence" than anything. When I'm working as a buyer's agent, I work very hard for my buyers but...I'm not perfect (shhhh...don't tell anyone I said that) and the buyers and the sellers are not perfect, so mistakes can happen.

Homes built before 1978 must have a "lead paint" disclosure. It gives the buyer the ability to have the home tested for lead paint. Never heard of the "$500 I don't know if there is lead paint" fee. Again, if the home was built before 1978 and the buyer wants to hire someone to check it for lead paint, he can do so. I wouldn't know lead paint if it bit me!

For those of you that don't TRUST your Realtor and don't think she is doing a great job for you...FIRE HER! Duh. Why work with someone who isn't working in YOUR best interests?

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 08:23 AM

And for those of you that seem to be PARANOID...I'd check all jail records and death certificates too! And if a pool has been added...I'd check MISSING PERSON records, as well!!!

Vicki

Old 08-24-2006, 08:29 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The reason for the law governing the "Seller's Disclosure" is that if the seller intentionally lies about mold or anything else on the disclosure, the buyer then has the ability to take legal action against him.

Vicki
Not sure why someone would spend lots of $ in legal fees just to get back their $500 inspection fee

Old 08-24-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
I find all those requirements for disclosure to be quite useless. It's way too easy for the seller to say "I don't know about any problems" before the sale and "Oh I had no idea!" if something is found during the inspection.
I'm not sure why you think the disclosure is "useless"? However, it will be interesting to see how you fill out the seller's disclosure when it comes your time to sell!!! Vicki

Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you think the disclosure is "useless"? However, it will be interesting to see how you fill out the seller's disclosure when it comes your time to sell!!! Vicki
I was told by my realtor that problems only had to be disclosed if they weren't fixed. For example, the rotting water damage mildew infested home we were going to buy that had to be jacked up so the framing members could be ripped out and replaced, they didn't disclose it to the next sellers. Their realtor said as long as it was repaired they had no obligation to disclose it. Plus the sellers lied on the original disclosure and claimed to have no knowledge of the problem even though everything was covered in a fresh coat of paint.

I think property disclosures are useless, too. It's very hard to prove the seller knew there was a problem all along.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Useless because you can't guarantee the seller will disclose everything, and there is no way to prove that they didn't disclose intentionally, especially if there is no history on repairs done by third-parties.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
Useless because you can't guarantee the seller will disclose everything, and there is no way to prove that they didn't disclose intentionally, especially if there is no history on repairs done by third-parties.
"guarantees"? Are there any guarantees in life???
By having the seller's disclosure and doing your home inspection and just opening your eyes...sure beats no disclosure and no home inspection and closing your eyes!!! Come on folks...if you want a guarantee...get a HOME WARRANTY!!! Vicki

Old 08-25-2006, 06:25 AM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Quote:
By having the seller's disclosure and doing your home inspection and just opening your eyes...sure beats no disclosure and no home inspection and closing your eyes!!! Come on folks...if you want a guarantee...get a HOME WARRANTY!!! Vicki

Home warrantees, while a good idea, are limited in what they will cover and that coverage does *not* include toxic mold. In addition, that coverage excludes a number of other things so I wouldn't go so far as to say they are a "guarantee."

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 08-25-2006 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-25-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
that's what I'm saying. If there is no guarantee that the disclosure is truthful, then the disclosure is useless IMO.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Home warrantees, while a good idea, are limited in what they will cover and that coverage does *not* include toxic mold. In addition, that coverages excludes a number of other things so I wouldn't go so far as to say they are a "guarantee."

Cassie
Agree! After I read the warranty in my new home I was really surprised to see the number of items that are not covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary