Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 AM

109 posts, read 343,763 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations? It would only be for a bike rack.
No towing, so no wiring harnesses needed.
It would be installed in an older van and the dealer does not have the parts so they are not an option. I heard of a place in Raleigh, but the reviews were not very good, so I would like to check out other options, especially in the Cary, Apex, or South Durham areas

Sorry for the incorrect title. Not a trailer, just a rack for a few bikes.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM

381 posts, read 1,327,454 times
U-Haul is usually pretty easy and inexpensive about such things, but I haven't checked lately.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,154,952 times
Raleigh Hitch is the way to go. That is what they do, and it is ALL that they do. I've had two done for exactly this reason, and I was very satisfied. They scheduled an appointment, got me in and out on time, and I've never had a problem.

Further, I got the recommendation from the folks at Trianglemtb.com, which is a community of cyclists (of which I am a very active member), MULTIPLE recommendations for them.

If yo read reviews of Uhaul, you will find mixed reviews at best.

Raleigh Hitch is a locally owned company who's existence depends on a good reputation for providing quality parts and services for one thing. Hitchs (possibly not the cheapest, but IMO, the best value in the area)

Old 02-17-2011, 11:19 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,093,548 times
Agree about Raleigh Hitch although I've also had the U- Haul on Capital (near downtown) do some work after I ran out of talent. Pleased with both.

Frank

Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Thank you for the suggestions!
I'm really looking forward to bringing the bikes on our next trip.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 AM

5,749 posts, read 17,637,919 times
A question for you guys with trailer experience. . .

I'd like to get a trailer hitch installed on my wife's car. . . . just so we can pull a small utility trailer on trips to home depot, camping, etc.

Her car has LED tail-lights, so regular wiring harnesses that hook into the tail lights are not possible. From what I understand, you need to install a separate line all the way up to the battery. This requires a more complex wiring harness, more labor, etc. Are there any other options? For example, could I replace the trailer lights with LED lights? Could I have a separate battery in the trunk that I only use when towing the trailer?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:03 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,093,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
A question for you guys with trailer experience. . .

I'd like to get a trailer hitch installed on my wife's car. . . . just so we can pull a small utility trailer on trips to home depot, camping, etc.

Her car has LED tail-lights, so regular wiring harnesses that hook into the tail lights are not possible. From what I understand, you need to install a separate line all the way up to the battery. This requires a more complex wiring harness, more labor, etc. Are there any other options? For example, could I replace the trailer lights with LED lights? Could I have a separate battery in the trunk that I only use when towing the trailer?
Good question ... look around at etrailer.com I've seen trailer LED light kits there , but they were $50+

Frank

Old 03-04-2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. I had the hitch installed last week. They did a great job.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2TwinsCary View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I had the hitch installed last week. They did a great job.
Who is "they"? Who did you end up choosing?

Old 03-04-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Good question ... look around at etrailer.com I've seen trailer LED light kits there , but they were $50+
Yes, I've seen them also, but I'm not sure if replacing the incandescent bulbs on the trailer with LEDs will negate the need for the fancy wiring harness and separate line to the car battery. I was quoted $175+tax just for the wiring harness and installation of it. That doesn't include the hitch, tongue, ball, and installation of hitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary