Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 PM

225 posts, read 953,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue1231 View Post
. Any suggestions for a great town for a family?
I would say it would depend on your job. Most areas in and around Raleigh are very family oriented (like Cary, Apex, Clayton, Wake Forest...to name a few). I don't think you'll go wrong picking any area for your famil in or around Raleigh. I love Apex because of the small 'downtown' area--very active family type community (I'm sure many more are like that too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 PM

34 posts, read 97,128 times
I live in Zebulon and I love it here. I moved to NC as a kid to Tryon and we used to joke that it was really comprised of people relocated from Michigan and Ohio. Cary has that reputation too as being the "City of Relocated Yankees" (C.A.R.Y. ) I love the fact that I can be on the beach in a three hours drive or in the mountains in a four hours drive. The weather is generally good and the people are friendly. It would depend on what you expect out of the area as to which community or suburb would fit you best. Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 02-05-2008 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: to comply with TOS

Old 02-05-2008, 01:31 PM

94 posts, read 393,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
Has anybody recently relocated to the Triangle from Michigan? Was it a good move for you?
Absolutely!! Moving here last August was the best decision I made...it took a month to find a job, but when I did, my Administrative salary jumped 44%.

I lived in Farmington Hills for seven years and because it never felt like a "hometown" I never got involved in the community - to this day I can't tell you who the Mayor was...

A good indicator on the state's economy.... it cost me $883.00 to rent a 16' Penske truck one-way from FH to Morrisville - two weeks ago I checked out Penske's site to see what One-Way rental's were going back to MI (not that I would)... are you ready for this it was $99.00 for the same truck!!!

The time is now to invest in your self and your future...you can always go back to visit ; )

Last edited by Autumn11; 02-05-2008 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: spellcheck

Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 PM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
Thats good to hear!

Thank You.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
It's pretty bad here, People have been speaking of a potential national recession, Michigan has been in one for the last 2 years.

And we still haven't backed out of the one-sided trade agreements.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:37 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Aside from the nightlife being smaller are you happy with your move to N.C. I have lived in Mich my whole life and although I think I'm ready to live it is hard to pick my family up and start over. I am a teacher and it is almost impossible to find a job in Mich, I get emails all the time about a teacher shortage in N.C. I figure that N.C looks like a better place to live then South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, or Florida so I think that we will move there in late spring. Any suggestions for a great town for a family?

I like Raleigh but I don't love it. I wish there were more options when it comes to entertainment and cultural activities.

We moved back to NC for job and family reasons otherwise we would have been happy to stay in Detroit. Call me crazy but I really liked living in Metro Detroit. Sure there were some issues with some things but overall we felt like there was a lot more to do.

That being said, I think most people who move here really like it. While not crazy with activity it is a very nice area. So much of it is new so you don't see a lot of old worn-out buildings here. There are so many trees and hills around it makes it very "pretty" to drive through. The weather here is wonderful, too, of course except I don't like the hot summers.

As far as towns to live commuting here can be a pain in the neck. The road infrastructure cannot handle the traffic especially at rush hour. Freeways don't run in logical directions and the side roads don't have flow because of untimed and long traffic lights. (I REALLY miss the Michigan-lefts. Once you figured those out and come to a place like this you realize how much better traffic planning is in Detroit.)

Wake Forest, North Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, Apex, and Holly Springs are all nice towns. You can't go wrong with any of them...

Old 02-06-2008, 08:10 PM

49 posts, read 185,869 times
Quote:
I am a teacher and it is almost impossible to find a job in Mich, I get emails all the time about a teacher shortage in N.C.
You should have no problem getting a job down here. I teach in an elementary school and we just hired a kdg teacher from Michigan and another teacher at a neighboring elementary just moved down from MI also.
My certificate was transferable and it was fairly painless to get my NC teaching license.
Depending on where you were teaching in MI the pay might be a little bit lower.

We moved down here in June and I have to say that my husband and I love the weather down here. When we went back to MI over the holidays the snow was beautiful and we had fun playing in it but we cut our visit short so that we could come back and get out of the messy weather.

It is tough being so far away from family. It is hard to find cheap flights to Detroit from here and vice versa. It is a long drive back up there. But despite all of that it is a very nice place to raise a family.
If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromil View Post
It is hard to find cheap flights to Detroit from here and vice versa.
I don't find that to be a problem at all. Northwest has direct flights to Detroit for $250 round trip all the time. I've been flying back and forth for almost 15 years now and I've never paid more than $275 and that was only because I waited a bit too long to reserve tickets.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:33 PM

353 posts, read 995,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
...untimed and long traffic lights. (I REALLY miss the Michigan-lefts. Once you figured those out and come to a place like this you realize how much better traffic planning is in Detroit.)
Amen. And the flashing red. There are so many lights where you sit and wait and no one is coming, and I keep thinking "I want my Michigan Flashing Red".

(Not sure if other states have the flashing red, I am from NY and we didn't have them and I've not seen them in any other state other than MI that I have lived in/been to..)

Old 02-06-2008, 10:58 PM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
Is Northwest the only airline that offers direct flights to/from Detroit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary