Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
Is Northwest the only airline that offers direct flights to/from Detroit?
As far as I know - yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM

85 posts, read 296,918 times
hi i live in detroit and yes it bleak here weather and jobs but i am looking into raliegh becasue i here there are lots of jobs family freindly liberal open minded people and low crime what i want to ask is are there areas to avoid in the triangle i want to live in raliegh because i here the schools are better than durham and what is the main difference between durham-raliegh-cary-apes-or chapel hill sorry if i a masking a lot of questions but i no nothing about the area and i need some help

also how much does a 2 bedroom apt cost i need a pool also in a family orientated low crime section of town with parks preferably

Old 02-07-2008, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 24,344 times
Quote:
Has anybody recently relocated to the Triangle from Michigan? Was it a good move for you?

Hi just moved here from Farmington hills 2 months ago. We live in the Cary area and we love it.

They call cary, containment area for relocated yankees!!!!

It was not as difficult as I thought it would be, and trust me the weather is great! Besides, can it really be any worse than the way things are up there right now?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie View Post
from MI. We came from Milford area. One of the biggest differences is that Raleigh is much smaller then Metro Detroit area---not a bad thing, but, just not as much going on--if that makes sense. At first it was super hard to navigate the area because nothing is straight--but, nothing a good GPS system won't solve ! Love the weather! Met some really nice friends. Happy with our neighborhood. I guess overall, as hard as it was to leave Michigan (yeah, I'm one of the few who would of stayed--but, we had to eat)...this has been a good place to move too.

Lol...that was our motto too...we left Michigan ( farmington area) cause we had to eat!!!

but I would of stayed also.....miss family etc. etc.

where are you living in nc now???

Old 02-07-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMetsGal View Post
Amen. And the flashing red. There are so many lights where you sit and wait and no one is coming, and I keep thinking "I want my Michigan Flashing Red".

(Not sure if other states have the flashing red, I am from NY and we didn't have them and I've not seen them in any other state other than MI that I have lived in/been to..)

Oh my god....The lights are frekin forever long here!!! No wonder the traffic is a mess...shorten the lights ..duh!!!!

Give me a michigan left any day!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,398 times
Default Relocated from Iowa

Quote:
Has anybody recently relocated to the Triangle from Michigan? Was it a good move for you?
We moved from Iowa to Kansas then from Kansas to Triangle area of N.C. in 1991. I have since retired from my career and started my own Real Estate firm. We love This area and will spend the rest of our lives here.

[MOD] removed [/MOD]

Last edited by autumngal; 02-11-2008 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: to comply with terms of service

Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM

46 posts, read 88,762 times
Default Teacher from MI relocating soon!

Movingfromil and goblue1231,
I am a teacher from MI as well. My family and I (husband, preschooler, and toddler) are planning to move down this spring. I have my NC license. I've completed various online applications and the WCPSS supplemental app. I am an elementary level teacher with 5th grade teaching experience. We want to live in or near Raleigh. Any insider tips on finding a teaching position? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromil View Post
You should have no problem getting a job down here. I teach in an elementary school and we just hired a kdg teacher from Michigan and another teacher at a neighboring elementary just moved down from MI also.
My certificate was transferable and it was fairly painless to get my NC teaching license.
Depending on where you were teaching in MI the pay might be a little bit lower.

We moved down here in June and I have to say that my husband and I love the weather down here. When we went back to MI over the holidays the snow was beautiful and we had fun playing in it but we cut our visit short so that we could come back and get out of the messy weather.

It is tough being so far away from family. It is hard to find cheap flights to Detroit from here and vice versa. It is a long drive back up there. But despite all of that it is a very nice place to raise a family.
If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:18 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie07 View Post
hi i live in detroit and yes it bleak here weather and jobs but i am looking into raliegh becasue i here there are lots of jobs family freindly liberal open minded people and low crime what i want to ask is are there areas to avoid in the triangle i want to live in raliegh because i here the schools are better than durham and what is the main difference between durham-raliegh-cary-apes-or chapel hill sorry if i a masking a lot of questions but i no nothing about the area and i need some help

also how much does a 2 bedroom apt cost i need a pool also in a family orientated low crime section of town with parks preferably
We pay $830 for a very spacious 1,200 SF 2BR in a decent area with all amenities including pool. Heat pump gives low bills for our total electric unit.

We're right next to Triangle Town Center mall, Northridge Crossings Apts. Take a look if you visit.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 PM

7 posts, read 12,353 times
To all those who moved down from MI... Did you already have a job when you moved down? I see that are a lot of you are teachers, but are there others out there that had a tough time?

My wife and I are from the Detroit Area (Royal Oak/Warren), born and raised here, and are just fed up with everything around here. I have a job now, thankfully (even though its gradually moving to India)... but we are just miserable up here. All of our family is up here and I am a die hard Michigan sports fan, so that will be tough to let go of.

We've been researching a lot of areas.. Nashville, Knoxville, Charlotte, and Raleigh. We are just trying to find the right place for us. We have no family in any of these areas so the transition will be tough, but I think we are ready to make a move somewhere.

We came down to the Raleigh area a few years ago and briefly looked at some houses. We loved the area, just never really made that next step.

Our concern is 1) selling our house here 2) finding a job down there 3) finding a family oriented area with a good school system

So if any one could let me know how you made the transition down there?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:43 AM

225 posts, read 953,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaowens View Post
Our concern is 1) selling our house here 2) finding a job down there 3) finding a family oriented area with a good school system

So if any one could let me know how you made the transition down there?

Hi,

Moved from MIchigan just over a year...my thoughts on your questions:

1. Selling your house will probably be the biggest hurdle.
2. From what I've read, it is better to have a job to come to or at least be in the area for interviews, etc...it dosen't sound like people have had much luck sending resumes from out of town.
3. Just about all of Wake Co. (Raleigh & surrounding areas) is family oriented...Wake Co. is a county run school system--they basically are all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary