Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Although my vision corrects to 20/20 with glasses, my depth perception is not very good. This is a brain problem and my eye doctor can't help.

Wish people were a bit more understanding of those with limitations.
I'm sorry Saturnfan. In my opinion, if you don't have any depth perception then you should not be driving. That is far too dangerous and you risk injury to yourself and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM

38 posts, read 99,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
We all need to be more tolerant of each other and follow the rules of the road - don't hog the left lane, use turn signals, merge PROPERLY - don't panic and hit the breaks on the off ramp! Ease into traffic..if you see car coming and you want to merge off a ramp, plan to go behind them, don't race to get in front as you are cutting them off and might cause an accident. As for I-40 from Raleigh to Durham...be considerate of other drivers and focus on driving - not driving someone off the road if they are in your way!
I'd say the some of the biggest problems are the panic brakers. I have constantly gotten caught behind people on both on and off ramps that freak out and hit the brakes. This is the easiest way to make sure the person behind you gets killed trying to avoid hitting you!

One thing I've noticed here that really bothers me is the fact that people are right on your tail at stoplights. Just this afternoon I had a girl behind me on Capitol that kept stopping so close to me that I couldn't even see her windshield wipers! That's just too close for my comfort. If someone rear ends you, I don't want to get taken out too! Back off!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I'm sorry Saturnfan. In my opinion, if you don't have any depth perception then you should not be driving. That is far too dangerous and you risk injury to yourself and others.
I'm fine on local streets. Depth perception is not zero, but not as good as it could be. Interstates are just too fast and drivers won't let me leave more space than necessary.

My insurance rates are preferred for the last 14 years. No at fault accidents/tickets.

If you know your limitations and compensate for them, it's safe. However, the aggressive drivers now here do not allow anyone to compensate. Many folks with vision in only one eye do fine if they compensate for lack of depth perception. I have 2 eyes but have had a lack of depth perception all my life. For example, most people can pick the right socket wrench in 1 or 2 tries. it takes me 4-5 tries.

This is another reson I rent since any attempt at home remodeling would leave a job like the Three Stooges.

Last edited by saturnfan; 02-21-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 AM

142 posts, read 283,838 times
I would like to update this because this morning some not so very nice woman merged into my lane without looking. I laid on my horn and she did not turn her head even *slightly*, not even for a moment. I was forced into on-coming traffic the next lane over and almost got hit. She could have caused a huge accident, myself and other could have been killed and all because she couldn't be bothered to look where the Moderator cut: language she was going.

Sorry to vent, I know that's not cool, I'm sorry. I'm just really angry about this and rightly so. This was my whole point, that our roads are becoming more dangerous because people aren't using common sense.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-22-2011 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Please either use appropriate language or let the filters do their job.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 AM

59 posts, read 138,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merboy View Post
I would like to update this because this morning some not so very nice woman merged into my lane without looking. I laid on my horn and she did not turn her head even *slightly*, not even for a moment. I was forced into on-coming traffic the next lane over and almost got hit. She could have caused a huge accident, myself and other could have been killed and all because she couldn't be bothered to look where the Moderator cut: language she was going.

Sorry to vent, I know that's not cool, I'm sorry. I'm just really angry about this and rightly so. This was my whole point, that our roads are becoming more dangerous because people aren't using common sense.
I saw something similar yesterday morning on I-85 South. An 18 wheeler was behind me in the right lane,and he went to move to the left lane. He did so without looking and ran a car completely off the road at 65 mph. She had to then stop suddenly, because they were approaching a bridge and the choices would have been hit the bridge wall edge or fall to the road below.

The truck driver never once touched his brakes, didn't slow, didn't stop.

Common sense ain't so common....

Last edited by Burningsky00; 02-22-2011 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: I can't spell today!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,226 times
My latest peeve is people who drive their shopping carts in stores like they do their cars. Or act like general azz hats. For example, I was in a store the other day behind several older ladies, and one big burly man was behind me. When they opened another register and said "Next in line!", who rushes over? Mr. Politeness. Then, at the grocery store twice in the past few weeks, the person behind me could not wait for their turn and ended up pushing my cart out of the way with theirs (and the cashier wasn't finished ringing up my items!)

As for driving, I HATE when people tailgate. Thankfully I don't have to deal with interstate traffic much anymore, but on side roads, someone is always getting too close for comfort. I've come to realize most people do it without even knowing they're doing it. As a passenger I've had to point it out quite a few times - "you know you're tailgating that person, right?" Them: "No way, you think so??" arghh!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:00 AM

645 posts, read 988,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
My latest peeve is people who drive their shopping carts in stores like they do their cars. Or act like general azz hats. For example, I was in a store the other day behind several older ladies, and one big burly man was behind me. When they opened another register and said "Next in line!", who rushes over? Mr. Politeness. Then, at the grocery store twice in the past few weeks, the person behind me could not wait for their turn and ended up pushing my cart out of the way with theirs (and the cashier wasn't finished ringing up my items!)

As for driving, I HATE when people tailgate. Thankfully I don't have to deal with interstate traffic much anymore, but on side roads, someone is always getting too close for comfort. I've come to realize most people do it without even knowing they're doing it. As a passenger I've had to point it out quite a few times - "you know you're tailgating that person, right?" Them: "No way, you think so??" arghh!

Yes ma'am - I agree. Like a previous poster stated, most really awful drivers don't seem to realize just how truly bad they are. Or perhaps they think of themselves as a really awful b-movie - they're so doggone bad, they start to thinkin' they're actually good!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
As for driving, I HATE when people tailgate. I've come to realize most people do it without even knowing they're doing it.
I must do that and not realize it. I had someone flip me off on Sunday and for the life of me, I could not figure out why. I must have been too close for comfort.

But in my defense , she kept slowing down and putting on her turn signal, and then going "Oops, that's not my street, must be the next one." and then continuing on to the next street.

And. . . . she was one of those people who get freaked out when they encounter a cyclist on the road. You know the ones? They slow down to 20 mph and refuse to pass them. You know the cyclist sees them back there and is saying "Christ lady. . . pass me already!"

Old 02-22-2011, 11:14 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I must do that and not realize it. I had someone flip me off on Sunday and for the life of me, I could not figure out why. I must have been too close for comfort.

But in my defense , she kept slowing down and putting on her turn signal, and then going "Oops, that's not my street, must be the next one." and then continuing on to the next street.
This drives me crazy too - I see it a lot in my neighborhood. I understand it's not always possible, but when it is, I wish they would just pull over and let me pass THEN continue with their treasure hunt.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:21 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
You all scare the heck out of me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary