U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,686,943 times

Advertisements

He doesn't appear to be homeless, I never seen him holding up a sign asking for help or taking money donations. He even has homeless people stand with him, talking to him while they take money.

If I had to guess, I'm going to assume that he is a disabled veteran. He does salute in the direction of a church in the distance when the bells toll.

He's been there for MONTHS. I never get close enough to speak to him and I was just wondering if anyone else has. He has a chair and sometimes flags, he stands in the medium on the corner.

Just curious.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 AM

222 posts, read 514,984 times
I'm pretty sure I have seen him take money, but I've never been close to him since I'm usually crossing along 54 and he usually stands on both ends of 55. Have you seen him wave the big flag around? I'm always surprised he hasn't whacked a car with it yet.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,829,766 times
I work right there. Nothing says "this is a nice area" like freeloaders begging for money in orange vests and cardboard signs...

Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 15,600 times
I talked to him once in the Walgreen's on the corner there at 54 and 55. I was behind him in the checkout line. He told me that his wife had been the real solider, that she had gotten breast cancer from handling material on a nuclear sub, and that she died several years ago. I didn't ask any questions...he volunteered all of this.

I, too, have wondered if he's ever hit a car while he was twirling the flag.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,686,943 times
I've seen him very closely almost hit a car with that flag! I wondered the same thing!

That's so terribly sad about this wife.

His flags didnt make sense to me and judging from his military outfit, I figured he was in the war.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:05 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,354,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumnern View Post
I talked to him once in the Walgreen's on the corner there at 54 and 55. I was behind him in the checkout line. He told me that his wife had been the real solider, that she had gotten breast cancer from handling material on a nuclear sub, and that she died several years ago. I didn't ask any questions...he volunteered all of this.

I, too, have wondered if he's ever hit a car while he was twirling the flag.

females only recently were allowed to serve on subs, unless she served in some foreign military. I reckon he could've meant nuclear ship or maybe she did some dockside maintenance. Or somebody just got the story wrong.

Navy Policy Will Allow Women To Serve Aboard Submarines

Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM

46 posts, read 121,164 times
I talked to him once and he carried on about some chip being implanted into our bodies by the government. He rambled on about some website but as I was in traffic I was not able to write it down.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:18 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,829,766 times
^LOL
and gullible people, he's a crazy homeless guy. he makes stuff up. are you new to this?
i don't really care what their issues are, i want them to be not bothering me with it. i can't help you, help yourself. i had 2 homeless guys within 30 minutes come thru the patio of the Flying Saucer yesterday hassling people for money. i am a compassionate person and a liberal, but that irritates me so much. everyone has problems, don't make yours mine. i don't go over to homeless people when they're sleeping and start getting in their face...

Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 PM

103 posts, read 269,508 times
Maybe he is the "Man that can't be moved" that The Script sings about.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:18 PM

639 posts, read 1,406,348 times
Mental illness is a real issue here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary