Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 23,456 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have been following this forum for a while, but haven't felt a need to post until now... My family (me, husband, 2 kids - 4.5yo and 1yo) is relocating to Chapel Hill at the end of April for a position my husband accepted at UNC and we are flying into town tomorrow to see the house we already rented (hope it wasn't misrepresented - LOL!) and for me to interview for a job on Friday.

My interview on Friday is all day and we're trying to plan some fun things for my husband to do with the kids. Since it looks like rain (boo!), I've been looking at some of the museums in the Raleigh area. We have a science museum membership to our local museum which gets us in to the Museum of Natural History for free, but I'm wondering how appropriate that would be for a (science-loving) 4.5 year old? He loves the science museum here, but it has a lot of hands-on activities. It also looks like there is a marbles museum that might be fun? Any other suggestions for a rainy day in Chapel Hill and Raleigh? Maybe somewhere where the baby could get out of the stroller and crawl/cruise about?

We are staying in Chapel Hill, but my interview is just outside of Raleigh and they will be dropping me off/picking me up.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and also thank you for all the advice you have already unknowingly given through previous posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caznfam View Post
We have a science museum membership to our local museum which gets us in to the Museum of Natural History for free, but I'm wondering how appropriate that would be for a (science-loving) 4.5 year old? He loves the science museum here, but it has a lot of hands-on activities. It also looks like there is a marbles museum that might be fun? Any other suggestions for a rainy day in Chapel Hill and Raleigh? Maybe somewhere where the baby could get out of the stroller and crawl/cruise about?
as for the science museum question, you could do the museum of natural history + the marbles museum in downtown raleigh. the museum of natural history is okay & since you would be in downtown raleigh anyhow it could work. i've never been to marbles since it changed over from exploris & i don't have kids so i couldn't personally testify to it, but i do know of plenty of friends who have kids that love it.

if you wanted a better science museum, i'm more partial to the museum of life & science in durham, although it the outdoor portion of it is more fun in my opinion. perhaps if the weather holds out you could at least get outside for a bit to go to the train, animals sections, outdoor noise-making, & the butterfly house/insectarium.

Explore, Connect, Learn, Share | North Carolina Museum of Life and Science

hope all goes well with your trip & interview!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
check to see if your membership gets you into the museum of life and science in Durham. If it's an ASTC museum, it should. Your science-loving son will love it, and there are activities (a play room) for the baby too.

Marbles is really fun, and only $5/person.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
You could spend the whole weekend inside Raleigh's myriad museums. As for rainy day things in Chapel Hill, imo its more of an outdoor city - lots of parks, easy to get to the country. There is the city museum on Franklin St, Hanes Art Museum on the UNC campus, but other than that, there's not much in CH.

Fyi, I lived in CH, have family that lives there, but for living in the area, I'd look for places closer to Raleigh, like Durham for example. Most things you'll want to do as a family will be in or toward Raleigh, so aim for the east side of CH.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 23,456 times
Thanks for the suggestions! We do get into the Durham life sciences museum with our membership, so that sounds like it might be a great option! Does anyone know anything about the planetarium in CH? That is also on the list of museums that accept our passes...

Cannot wait for April to get here so we can move for good!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 AM

533 posts, read 1,198,373 times
+1 for the Museum of Life and Science in Durham. My kiddos are the same age as yours, and we spend lots of time there. If the rain holds off, the outdoor area is great, but there is plenty of stuff in the indoor portions as well. IMO, the MLS is much more hands on than the Museum of Natural Science in Raleigh, which is more just exhibits to look at vs. stuff to touch and feel. If your husband wants to stay in Raleigh while you interview, I'd highly recommend Marbles. Lots of places for the little ones to run and play - they will have a great time.

As far as the Planetarium in Chapel Hill, we took the kids there in the fall and came away unimpressed. We skipped the Planetaruim show (which may have been our problem ), and outside of that we didn't find much else to see there. At least not much that held the little one's interest. Downtown Chapel Hill also has Kidzu, which is billed as a kids museum, but is more like a play place to me. It would also be great for your kiddos.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Agree about the Life and Science Museum in Durham.

Here's a link - I always like to get a bit oriented before arriving.

Explore, Connect, Learn, Share | North Carolina Museum of Life and Science

The Friday rain is looking more like a morning only event.

Welcome ,,,

Frank

Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
The Morehead planetarium show is cool. I forgot about that. Now I want to go see it again...

Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 AM

612 posts, read 1,279,674 times
This isn't a daytime activity, but might still be a fun thing to do with the kids while you are in town. Paperhand Puppet Intervention has a show at the ArtsCenter in Carrboro. It's a nice little indoor theater, and kids seem to like giant puppets

The ArtsCenter | always inspiring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary