Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:04 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,612 times

Advertisements

Would like to hear from parents or others (from experience)...what is with the school system and the redistricting? Is it overcrowded, is that the problem, no money, no infrastructure. For a city that boasts being on the lists, the amoung of people flocking to that part of the county, it seems very odd that that schooling thing (which I would find the one of the key factors in moving there), is in shambles.

Can someone enlighting me on what exactly has been going on with the schools in the cary area that causes all the reshuffling. Just want to see if this will be a good fit for 3 elementry school children....as we dont want to moving from different school each year.

Your experiences on are thanked in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,653,672 times
The schools are not limited to just Cary. It's a county school system - not town based.

WCPSS: Getting Started

Quote:
4.Understand how WCPSS assigns students to schools
WCPSS is North Carolina's largest school district. In recent years, Wake County's school population has grown by thousands of new students each year. As a result, WCPSS is constantly opening new schools and it has had a direct impact on where many children attend school. In the past, student assignment was a yearly decision aimed at filling new schools, reducing crowding at existing schools, minimizing bus rides and promoting diversity goals. This year for the first time, the Board of Education approved a three year assignment plan for 2009-2012. By using better technology to predict growth and information from our school construction program, this new plan will provide families with more advanced notice of school assignments for their students.
WCPSS: 2011-12 Budget Suggestions (http://www.wcpss.net/budget/2011-12-suggestions/ - broken link)

Quote:
WCPSS Home >> Budget

2011-12 Budget Suggestions The next budget year (2011-12) is going to be difficult for the Wake County Public School System.

We expect an additional 4,100 students either enrolled in our schools or attending local charter schools (for which we provide per-pupil operating funding). We will be opening two new schools.

At the same time we are not expecting any additional county funding, costs for benefits and utilities are increasing, and, most importantly, state and federal funding is likely to be cut significantly. The funding shortfall for 2011-12 is estimated at between $70 million and $100 million dollars.

As in the previous two years, WCPSS must do more—serve more students, and do so more effectively—with less money. We invite your suggestions on how best to achieve that.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:29 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Yes, as pp pointed out, it's county wide schools, not town schools. So when you talk about "Cary schools", you are already on the wrong track. It can be hard to grasp, and I think the reason for this is that something like 90% of all kids DO go to their neighborhood school - or at least one that's close by.

Where I live, there are probably 4 or 5 elementary schools that I would consider "close" (within 2 miles). Even if my kids DID get re-assigned, it would be to another school that's nearby. But re-assignment doesn't happen "every year" - the most it can happen is every 3 years. Frankly, while on the face of it that sounds very dramatic, the truth is I grew up on Long Island and even though my family never moved, I attended 3 different elementary schools, because my school district was always changing school assignments (and still is, 35 years later). I survived, because my parents didn't act like it was the end of the world, and all my friends moved with me anyway.

Class sizes are larger than they were where we moved from, however, my kids are getting the same amount of attention. My DS struggles in math and yet his teacher finds time to work with him one-on-one, which never happened in NY, even though there are 5 more kids in the class down here (BTW kindergarten and first grade class sizes are the same as where we moved from).

There is a huge influx of people to this area and something has to give. If you are coming from the northeast, chances are you're moving from a place where a school hasn't been built in at least 30 years and maybe they are even talking about closing some down. It's totally different here.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,653,672 times
My daughters' school (Laurel Park) is in Apex. I live in Cary. The school is 2 miles from our house on the Cary/Apex town line.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:06 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
We also live 2 miles from school and have never been reassigned in the collective 15 years my kids have been in Wake schools.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 AM

yes..it will be from upstate new york...but we have had schools BUILT to keep up with the influx of poeple from the bouroughs and even westchester. We are considering two areas that we have visited (we have ruled out charlotte)..as while its more city-ish..are suburb people through and through....I can count on my one hand how many times we actually get into NYC in a year.

Alpharetta is a close second, only because it will give us our city feel. We like both...BUT It appears as though its too much of a risk in alpharetta...crime, traffic...bug(LOL)...its not looking good.

We have our own business, a house we will sell or rent....and looking to move or have a serious game plan by december. We are making another trip for april.

Really am looking for long term as we dont want to move again, hoping that this will be it. Plan on renting for a year..but would like to rent at least in an area where the kids dont move around and miss out on friends.

Are there other towns that we should consider. Where we are the towns blend together and we dont look at towns per se, but rather what schools..and the route of elementry schools that end up at the high school.

once you pick your "route"...you just find your house around it. does that make sense?

Anyone have thoughts on the best high school to end up at and what would be a good route to take to get there?

the town "name" doesnt really matter to me..but rather the route of the schools to the best high school. So we dont mind living in apex, timbuktoo, or cary. LOL

**is there another district that is a "close second" to wake county that should be considered.

When we do buy, it will be in the 300-500k range...looking to rent 2000-2500. 5 bedrooms 3 baths..prefer a community that has swim/clubhouse/fitness center...golf I could take it or leave it.

Gated is even better, only because it would be nice for the kids to ride there bikes without worrying about getting run over. Where we are now, there are speed limits and no external traffic is allowed..the kids can walk by themselves to the community park...its extremelly safe..and with very very limited trafic, dont have to worry about them being run over.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
FWIW, I don't think upsate NY has seen the amount of growth the Triangle has by a long shot. Cary is a pretty popular area with lots of people moving there every year. That being said, as previous postes have already pointed out kids aren't shuffled around every year. IF it is too much of a concern for you you may want to look to Clayton in Johnston County. You may have better luck finding a 5 bedroom at that price range there anyway. Either way, I wouldn't expect to find a gated community at that price range.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post

here we are the towns blend together and we dont look at towns per se, but rather what schools..and the route of elementry schools that end up at the high school.

once you pick your "route"...you just find your house around it. does that make sense?

Anyone have thoughts on the best high school to end up at and what would be a good route to take to get there?

the town "name" doesnt really matter to me..but rather the route of the schools to the best high school. So we dont mind living in apex, timbuktoo, or cary. LOL

It pretty much works the opposite here. You pick your house first and go to the assigned schools for that neighborhood. There are no guarantees in Wake schools that you will be able to "pick the route" for your children's schools unless you go private.
You may pick a house in a neighborhood because it is assigned to XYZ high school and by the time your kids get to high school age, a new school has opened up and needs students from your neighborhood to fill it.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:38 AM

thanks for the words..the way the forums make it sound its as if you are moved every year. Gated I could take or leave..just threw it out there. If you cannot find a 5 bedroom for 500k, that doesnt sound right....we researched realtor.com and zillow and there appears to be plenty of inventory..but again, will rent for a year, I guess the houses that are showing up...are not in the best subdivisions.

Could anyone recc a particular subdivision that they fell in love with and why. 5 bedrooms really is a must. Basements as well..because I need a home office.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
To be clear, I think you can find a 5 bedroom for 500K in Cary. Just pointing out that you may have more options in Clatyon. But the five bedroom does not eliminate Cary.

Basements are another thing and a little more difficult to find. Most of them are more of walkout basements. I think you can find them in your price range but it could be a limiting factor.

I'm sure a good RE agent can give you better advice than me though. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary