Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmemk View Post
Ugh! I'm so fed up with the DC area and the idea of moving down to Raleigh seems like it would help lifestyle wise SO much. However, we can't move for a few years for job/other financial reasons. I am enjoying researching the Raleigh area, although the more I research, the more it makes me want to move now!

Don't you love the congestion and expensive cost of living??? So what it takes you 3 hours "too" and "from" work every day..I love my half million dollar condo...Really I wouldn't change DC/NOVA/MD for anything......lol....I'm in the process of trying to relocate to either Raleigh or the boonies of VA...I love the DC region but the cost of living/traffic is unnecessary...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:56 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Don't you love the congestion and expensive cost of living??? So what it takes you 3 hours "too" and "from" work every day..I love my half million dollar condo...Really I wouldn't change DC/NOVA/MD for anything......lol....I'm in the process of trying to relocate to either Raleigh or the boonies of VA...I love the DC region but the cost of living/traffic is unnecessary...
Moved from Fairfax last year. While I still consider NoVA home grew up there from the age of 7 (originally from LI, NY) I LOVE Raleigh. I still am finishing up school, but my wife has an awesome job that pays her 25% more than what she made working in Rockville, MD (Same type of job). We make the same as what we did before even though I had to take a pay cut and changed jobs (used to be a cop). We still miss family, but it's only a 4 hour drive. What we don't miss is the overpriced housing and HORRIBLE traffic. Traffic here is NOTHING compared to what I faced in the DC area. It will get worse here though eventually, but will never be anything like NoVA.

We finally feel at home here after moving last June. We were up in Fairfax this past weekend and while I was talking to my sister about how expensive it was to live inside the "Beltway" I kept on calling it the "Beltline"...lol She was like what the hell is a "beltline"...I had to explain it to her and she was like "well that's just dumb". I guess I am finally a Raleighite now that I called the DC beltway the beltline.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:34 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RQ7 View Post
I'm in that boat, too. I'm looking for a change from the lifestyle in southern California. However, it doesn't look like we (my husband and I) can move for at least 4 more years due to our job situation. In the meantime, we plan to make a trip out there next May to visit. I just hope house prices in the Triangle area aren't bid up too much by then by everyone moving there from other states. Or if they are, I hope the housing market in California improves by then, so when we go to sell our house, we can still afford the homes in NC! We don't have a ridiculous amount of equity in our home like some Californians do.

I am so looking forward to the slower pace of life and friendly people in NC.
RQ7;
We came from SoCA almost two months ago.
We planned the move for over four years.
Now that I am here, my only regret is that we took so long. I really truly love it here. It fits me. I think your plan to take your time and visit a few times is very smart though. That is what we did. We took five trips out here, at different times of the year. So we could check out the weather.
The heat and humidity is much worst then I thought it would be, but then you have days like the past four days that are like heaven. No humidity, in the middle 80's. I am so excited for the fall, I cannot wait to watch our leaves fall, and smell the cold weather coming in.....

Liz

Old 07-23-2007, 08:45 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,645 times
Me! I wish I could move now, but I need to save some more money, and I have work obligations throughout the rest of '07.

I am stuck in Portland, Oregon, where for the past week we have had clouds and rain. I'm about to lose it. I can't wait to live in a place with nicer weather and friendlier people.

I visited the Triangle area for the third time last month, and it just feels right. I've always wanted to live in the South, too.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:34 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Lizardlips: If you can tolerate it through the summer, the fall weather is SOOOO worth it. I thiink an NC fall is the absolute BEST season in NC. I hope you enjoy it. I can actually feel it if I think about it too much.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:54 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,573 times
Count us too! Our house goes on the market the end of this month and then the waiting game begins.....
I had hoped to be out there before school started, but oh well.....

Old 07-24-2007, 08:09 AM

164 posts, read 690,462 times
redrover, have you looked up Magnolia Glenn? It has an assisted living and a independant living facility as well. Really nice there. Just giving you another choice if you did not look tha up as well.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:33 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
We have to wait till December and we have to sell our house. We're in Fl, so don't know how long that will take. We were in Raleigh this weekend this past weekend. LOVED IT! Don't know what people are saying about it being too hot. We thought it was perfect! In FL, it's like an oven!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:35 AM

36 posts, read 158,712 times
Count us in that boat also. I don't graduate school until Dec 14th, then by the time I take my licensing exam (RN) and get the results, it will be Feb '08. Well then hubby says we should wait until June due to our son's school. UGH! I read the posts of people getting together this week and I wish I could be there! Promise me you will do this again next year!! Its so hard to be patient some times....
My one fear is the housing costs rising. I am hoping the interest rates and housing prices don't go crazy
Oh well, could be worse, right? At least we are decided on the area we like

Old 07-24-2007, 10:39 AM

45 posts, read 178,010 times
Good luck beckycat. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how slow the market is here in FL. We've been listed since May and we've had nothing for the past 2 weeks. We did have a few offers early on but they just weren't where we needed to be. With the surplus of homes here those that are making offers are coming in very low. If we were to have taken our first one we would have broken even on our home which we've been in for 4 years. So here we sit patiently waiting and trying to remain optimistic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary