Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 04:56 PM

51 posts, read 193,312 times

Advertisements

I didn't have time to get to Lake Jordan on my most recent visit - but would you recommend it? Do you go often? What is it best for? (recreation, or is it more park like for walking/running, picnic, etc...)
Is there another Lake/Park that you go to more often or prefer?

I met with a realtor twice during my visit, and did not really feel that she was really understanding what I was looking for. She was showing me things not in the area I asked for, and also way beyond my price range. I felt like I had to do all the work to find things I was interested in... then I sent her the addresses, and then she showed me other stuff anyway.

When I called another realtor to try to get another opinion, the second realtor made a big deal about the trust and honesty policy that I should be loyal to the realtor I was working with. Any advice on trying to get a second opinion? (Granted, I could just lie, and say I wasn't working with anyone else, but I'm curious about how things work "behind the scenes"...) I guess the short question is: How can I get a second opinion??

I also didn't have a chance to get to the Burlington Outlets or the Smithfield Outlet store - Do you prefer one over the other? How are they? How many stores? Do you find you get good deals?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 05:09 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu2005 View Post
I met with a realtor twice during my visit, and did not really feel that she was really understanding what I was looking for. She was showing me things not in the area I asked for, and also way beyond my price range. I felt like I had to do all the work to find things I was interested in... then I sent her the addresses, and then she showed me other stuff anyway.
We had the same problem. We kept saying "We don't want 5-4-and a door." and she kept showing us 5-4-and a door. We ended up just never calling her again and choosing another realtor.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:37 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
My sister had the same problem with her original realtor - they just weren't jibing on understanding each other. My sister met someone at a job fair who gave her the name of another realtor...she called him, came down here, and found a house in one day.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:41 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,708 times
Personally, I like Umstead Park ( N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to William B. Umstead State Park). I like that its in the middle of everything, yet very peaceful and there are small lakes/ponds in the park.. This park connects to Lake Crabtree. Has some nice greenways, great biking trails (up to 20 miles), nice walking/running trails. Falls Lake is another I like and is similar to Jordan Lake. There also is Harris Lake (near the Nuke plant). It's actually nice there too. I think it depends on what side of town you like and what your current interest. If being on the Lake is the most important, than you might prefer to be on the larger ones as Lake Jordan and Falls Lake.

Sorry you had issue with the Realtor. Sometimes you just have to find one that you click with. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
As long as you don't sign a "Buyer's Agency Agreement" with a Realtor, you can certainly "interview" a few until you find one that you work well with. If you did sign with Realtor #1, explain to that agent that you don't feel that you "click" and you want to end that agreement.

As for shopping, Burlington is pretty much dead. A bit further down the road is a new Tanger Outlet. Takes about 40 min. to get there from North Raleigh. If you go to the Tanger Outlets in Smithfield, takes about an hour to get there from North Raleigh. They have mostly the same stores. You should be able to do a google search and find the list of stores.

As for "good deals"...sometimes you have to know the prices before you shop. Same is true for furniture.

Vicki

Old 02-26-2011, 08:22 AM

I did not sign an agreement with Realtor #1 -
So if I call another one, and he/she asks if I've been working with someone - I could just say that I do not wish to work with the original one anymore?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
So if I call another one, and he/she asks if I've been working with someone - I could just say that I do not wish to work with the original one anymore?
You can tell that Realtor that you are currently "interviewing" Realtors and if they decline to be interviewed, you should move on to the next Agent. If you are randomly calling Real Estate offices, you may be getting the Agent on Duty, which is usually a newer agent, as they take turns answering the phones.

If you don't "click" with the Agent on the phone, move on to the next one! Lord knows there are zillions out there and you are bound to find someone you click with sooner or later!

Vicki

Old 02-26-2011, 09:10 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Your answer is, "No, I'm not working with anyone." You are not working with anyone until you engage them to be your agent.
You CAN work verbally, but that agreement isn't worth the paper it is not written on. You will have a written agreement before that agent helps write an offer.

If you want to engage an agent, the written agreement is the way to go.
Just make sure you have the right to cancel.
I put "Either party may terminate this agreement at any time prior to location of suitable property," or similar in all Buyer agency agreements.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:57 PM

great advice (for the termination on the contract)!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary