Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:43 PM

73 posts, read 167,413 times

Advertisements

I would agree that the closest comparison I've found would be Austin b/c of Job opportunities, population and cost of living. I am not sure I agree with the comparison to Rochester or any other city in New York, as I've spoken to so many people who have moved here from that area and all they talk about are the differences…. good, bad and ugly. One thing I think that blindsides people about Cary is that Cary is perhaps the ONLY 150,000+ CITY that still insists on calling itself a TOWN. If the CITY of Cary wants to continue to be in denial…. fine, but we are hardly a suburb anymore as the 7th largest CITY in NC, bypassing Wilmington and High Point and chomping at Fayetteville's heels with only 5,000 people to make that difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 01:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
FWIW, Cary, or any other town for that matter calls itself a town because it is incorporated as such. There is a difference between a Town Charter and a City Charter and it really doesn't have anything to do with population size. There are "towns" such as Hempstead, NY on Long Island which has over 700k in population; as well as "cities" such as Caribou, Maine which only has about 8,000 people.

But I agree, none of he major cities in NY state really resemble Raleigh IMO; at least not as much as cities like Austin, Nashville, Richmond, or Columbus do.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:03 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
http://www.amlegal.com/pdffiles/Cary_pdf/Charter.pdf

[LEFT]"The Town of Cary shall continue to be a body politic and corporate under the name and style of
the "Town of Cary," and shall continue to be vested with all property and rights which now belong to
the Town; shall have perpetual succession; may have a common seal and alter and renew the same
at pleasure; may sue and be sued; may contract, may acquire and hold all such property, real and
personal, as may be devised, bequeathed, sold, or in any manner conveyed or dedicated to it, or
otherwise acquired by it, and may from time to time hold or invest, sell, or dispose of the same; and
shall have and may exercise in conformity with this Charter all municipal powers, functions, rights,[/LEFT]
privileges, and immunities of every name and nature."

North Carolina does not care if the Town of Cary is a Town or a City, as long as the Town of Cary conducts itself within the charter and any lawful amendments granted by the NC General Assembly.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-27-2011 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 PM

600 posts, read 3,449,059 times
Greenville, S.C.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 AM

61 posts, read 121,681 times
There are some similarities between Austin and Raleigh but overall the vibe is totally different. Austin is dominated by UT and the goings on in the Capitol. Austin is a very young city. Raleigh has a much wider range of ages. I recently moved to Raleigh (I'm 55). I felt like everyone's mother/grandmother in Austin. Not here.
Austin is a more "hip" city with lots of festivals, music etc. There seems to be less pride in Raleigh when it comes to trash thrown along the roads and the drivers are worse here too. When I moved to Austin I thought it was bad there but many drivers here are just plain old bad. Traffic rules mean nothing. I truly believe Austin is a "smarter" city. I think there is a fair sized population in Raleigh that don't have the advantages that they would have in Austin.
I love the trails in Raleigh and find the people (overall) to be much friendlier, helpful and sincere than in Austin.
I think Austin is a fine place if you are young and single or are raising a family. The Round Rock ISD and some Austin schools are fantastic. At this stage of my life I am thrilled with my new home here in Raleigh.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 AM

103 posts, read 157,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
Greenville, S.C.
I moved here from there and I think you're spot on. Raleigh is what Greenville will grow into. The area also has that triumvirate thing going on. Greenville's downtown is far nicer though.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
I'll throw out St Louis MO as probably the closest to Raleigh of the cities I have lived in. Mid-sized city, reasonable cost of living, slower paced. Another city where the fastest growth is occuring in the outer suburbs. Lots of culture and history, if you know where to look.

Of course, St Louis is more of a pro sports town than college sports, and the weather there sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary