Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 AM

51 posts, read 192,642 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for reactions, thoughts to these crime maps:

These are reported In the past 2 months (you can adjust the time frames):

Raleigh, NC Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Raleigh - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Cary, NC Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Cary - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Durham, NC Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Durham - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Would you walk around downtown Raleigh by yourself?
Would you feel safe?

Thoughts on the amount of listings for Cary?

I was actually surprised at the amount of reporting for each of the 3 areas - but am thinking that potentially there are a lot of smaller crimes? vs a few shootings (bigger things)????

How do you think the crime rates now compare to a few years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 01:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,854,678 times
As you zoom in on the maps, the crimes get rather sparse, even though the view still covers many blocks (e.g., all of downtown Raleigh). I'm not at all alarmed by these maps.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:28 PM

523 posts, read 1,321,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu2005 View Post
Would you feel safe?
I've done so many times and always felt quite safe. I live in downtown Durham and also feel very safe there, even walking around at night.

Be aware that Spotcrime's maps are not always accurate. I've found some incidents on both Raleigh's map and Durham's map that happened in completely different cities. In some cases, a single incident was depicted multiple times on the map because it was reported in more than one source (newspaper and police department, for example).

Quote:
How do you think the crime rates now compare to a few years ago?
There has been a continuous downward trend in the crime rates in Raleigh and Durham over the past ten years. You can visit the individual city pages right here on City Data to see:

//www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...-Carolina.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Durham...-Carolina.html

Old 02-27-2011, 06:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,549,503 times
Quote:
Raleigh? Yes.
Durham? No.

Remember, folks, this is just my opinion.

However, basing judgment on the reports from the website it's obvious one is much more likely to encounter a crime on the streets of Durham than they are in Raleigh.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:07 PM

542 posts, read 1,520,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
As you zoom in on the maps, the crimes get rather sparse, even though the view still covers many blocks (e.g., all of downtown Raleigh). I'm not at all alarmed by these maps.
Agreed. One would expect there to be more crime in a "thriving" downtown since the population is more dense and there are more businesses per square mile.

Mike

Old 02-27-2011, 06:10 PM

915 posts, read 2,375,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Raleigh? Yes.
Durham? No.

Remember, folks, this is just my opinion.

However, basing judgment on the reports from the website it's obvious one is much more likely to encounter a crime on the streets of Durham than they are in Raleigh.
Durham's crime rate is less than what Raleigh's was in 2002. Just curious, would you have felt safe walking in downtown Raleigh in 2002 (if you were around Raleigh then)?

I walk by myself on the streets of downtown Durham seven nights a week. I've never once felt unsafe in Durham. Not a once.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:39 PM

396 posts, read 1,101,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Durham's crime rate is less than what Raleigh's was in 2002. Just curious, would you have felt safe walking in downtown Raleigh in 2002 (if you were around Raleigh then)?
I worked in downtown Raleigh in 2002; I did not feel safe walking alone during off-peak times then. One of the homeless guys I saw a lot for work reasons... saw me walking around 3pm one day (when most folks were in their offices) and told me I should be careful and he didn't think it was safe!

By 2008 it was a different story, with the redevelopment in place and pedestrian mall gone, and I felt very safe.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 PM

81 posts, read 172,842 times
Downtown Raleigh can get scary after dark-ever been by the bus station after dark?? Yeah put me in Downtown Apex over Durham or Raleigh-just saying-

Old 02-27-2011, 07:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,194,191 times
The scales used on these maps and the large size of the icons gives a distorted view.

I feel totally safe walking around downtown Raleigh and Durham at night. That being said, every city has rougher parts that you should avoid while alone at night. They are fairly easy to avoid and you typically don't find yourslef in those bad areas anyway unless you are up to no good yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary