Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
It probably won't help you now, but DPS is currently building a middle school about a 1/2 mile from Treyburn. Once it is complete (the 2012 school year), Treyburn will feed into the new middle school instead of Chewning.
Sweatpea, has the zoning been determined and approved by the BOE for the New Middle School? I'm not sure, that's why I ask. The new elementary school in North Durham is going to be opened as an Arts Magnet School this fall. There is a zone preference from lower SES schools in the surrounding area. I wondered if the BOE might do something like that for the middle school. Just wondering?

In regards to the transfer policy at DPS, it's has traditionally been fairly liberal. For instance here in Southern Durham many kids transfer to Jordan but they have to take the Ag Tech program. I'm not sure what the Riverside Program is. Call Riverside and ask. Basically at Jordan the transfer kids take a couple of classes in this specialized program but then they take all their regular college prep courses as well. They will be accepting transfers from March 1 to May 1. I don't know how it works if you are currently out of state. The Office of Student Assignment can answer that for you. http://www.dpsnc.net/about-dps/depar...dent-transfers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 AM

82 posts, read 241,257 times
Default the new elementary school wont be

as close to Treyburn as the other 2 current schools (Little River & Mangum). I have wondered what the population will be like at the new middle school....alot of middle schoolers in Treyburn go to private schools or to Voyager. Lots of kids are staying at Voyager for high school, but those who are not seem to be heading to Riverside (for their engineering program) even though their district is Northern. If I lived in Durham & was districted to Northern, I would go private. We have heard some of the stories, through a resource officer.....your head would likely pop off if you heard what we did (threats made to teachers, theft, out of control bullying)!

I know someone with an AIG middle schooler who, after 1 year, left Carrington to go private. They were actually paying for him to go to DPS because they didnt like AIG in Hboro. This child would probably be in the top 3 in his class, he is much more challenged at the private school. At Carrington, he would submit papers with an assigned topic, but write about a completely different topic....and he would get an "A" on every paper! The issue was never addressed by teachers or other staff. The only other 1st hand experience I have w/Carrington students is in the public library (next door to Carrington) afterschool. There is alot of misbehavior....and to be honest, I think its bordering on some shady stuff going on in the bathrooms.
So, OP.....if you are going to choose Carrington for your AIG student....I would take a verrrrry close look at the place.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 42,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguesmom View Post
If I lived in Durham & was districted to Northern, I would go private. We have heard some of the stories, through a resource officer.....your head would likely pop off if you heard what we did (threats made to teachers, theft, out of control bullying)!

So, OP.....if you are going to choose Carrington for your AIG student....I would take a verrrrry close look at the place.

Hmmm...So, if I was resistant to go Private (for several reasons) would the recommendation be to continue considering Treyburn - with much research and consideration of some of the environmental issues? AND/OR focus my search on other areas? If other areas, do we have a hope of a reasonable commute? How about if we re-define reasonable to be under 40 min. with traffic?

If DH accepts the job there, we will visit and have some time before the family would have to move, so there is time for the kind of on-site research everyone is recommending...it's just a large and unfamiliar area for us so I VERY much appreciate all of your input!!

Old 02-28-2011, 01:09 PM

533 posts, read 1,199,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Sweatpea, has the zoning been determined and approved by the BOE for the New Middle School? I'm not sure, that's why I ask. The new elementary school in North Durham is going to be opened as an Arts Magnet School this fall. There is a zone preference from lower SES schools in the surrounding area. I wondered if the BOE might do something like that for the middle school. Just wondering?
As far as I know, the BOE hasn't been determined. I only mentioned it since the OP was concerned about Chewning, and Treyburn won't feed into that once the middle school is completed.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:19 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
OP: The commute is more than 30 minutes from all those locations. I almost never drive to Raleigh, unless I go to the Farmer's Market, so I'm not very familiar with the area. I think North Raleigh would be the closest, but I also think there's a lot of traffic coming this way from there. We often talk about moving some day, but I think if he were to stay in Treyburn we'd just suck up the commute from Chapel Hill. Hillsborough wouldn't be a terrible commute, but I really like this part of Durham more than Hillsborough. My kid is a high achiever and we've been very happy in Durham and how she is challenged. No school is going to be perfect, but it's fine for us. There are a lot of course offerings at the middle and high school levels that will suit us. There's a teacher at her school that actually sends her kids to... gasp... NORTHERN HIGH. I've asked her if they are happy there, and she said that she is surprisingly very happy there, all of her kids' teachers have higher degrees and have a lot of experience. We are districted for Northern and I am not confident enough to send my children there yet, but we have a while to wait.

People either love or hate Voyager. The biggest complaint that I've heard is that kids are bored in class. Some families have left because of the lack of challenge. There is no AIG and the course offerings are limited. I think they just either stay bored, or get more work thrown at them. We won't send our kids there.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
I only mentioned it since the OP was concerned about Chewning, and Treyburn won't feed into that once the middle school is completed.
Not to split hairs but my point is that Treyburn might not feed into the new middle school (even though the new middle is located in Treyburn) IF the new middle school is either a magnet or IF Dr. Becoats is "creative" with the zoning map, which he has done in other districts. I would not count on this school being zoned for Treyburn until it's written somewhere.

OP, you could live in Trinty Park and get to Treyburn in less than 30 mins. Trinty Park is the downtown area and is zoned for Riverside & Brogden Middle. There are other options North of TP that are still in the Riverside zoning.

Do you have a realtor? If you tell them that you want to see homes within 30 mins of Treyburn but zoned for Riverside they can give several listings. It takes me about 40 mins (not very much traffic) to get to Treyburn and I'm in Southern Durham.... near the county line. (We're zoned for Jordan down here.) So you have lots of options in the 30 min range which would include both Riverside and Jordan.

If you need a realtor recommendation PM me. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,827 times
There is so much I could write on this but I'll keep it simple. As a teacher in DPS the only middle schools I would even consider are Brogden, Rogers Herr, Carrington in that order. High schools would be Riverside, Jordan in that order. I would work a second or third job to pay for private schooling if my kid was to go to Neal, Chewning, Lowes Grove, Northern, Sourthern. I don't know anything about elementary schools but will soon be learning.

Have you considered looking at housing in the neighborhoods at the end of Infinity Rd? (can't remember the name of them) Or Ashton Hall, Brightleaf, or Grove Park? Those would be a decent commute although I am not thinking of the school zones as some of them are in undesired school districts. Also in N. Raleigh by Creedmore Rd. I believe there are some NICE neighborhoods by HWY 98. But I wouldn't go further than that b/c then the commute gets crazy.

Also, word is that the transfer policy if being brought in a little and not everyone is approved like it used to be. This mainly affects problem kids who cause problems in other schools or get in trouble and the parents want to put them in another school, which I don't believe you fall under.

Last edited by mike052082; 02-28-2011 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: spelling police

Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 PM

7 posts, read 42,419 times
I appreciate everything posted here in answer to my original question! As things sometimes do, the situation has changed and the position would be based now in a different city. We were sad to hear that Durham was no longer an option...especially since it's obviously filled with great people!! Thanks again!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:29 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguesmom View Post
I know someone with an AIG middle schooler who, after 1 year, left Carrington to go private. ... The only other 1st hand experience I have w/Carrington students is in the public library (next door to Carrington) afterschool. There is alot of misbehavior....and to be honest, I think its bordering on some shady stuff going on in the bathrooms. So, OP.....if you are going to choose Carrington for your AIG student....I would take a verrrrry close look at the place.
Carrington lets off busloads of students at the nearby North Regional Library at the end of every school day. My understanding is that these students are bused to Carrington from other neighborhoods and their parents would prefer they not be bused home after school but rather left off at the library. Some are picked up at 6 or so, others are there from 2:30 in the afternoon until closing at 9 at night.

There is indeed a lot of misbehavior. The library staff do their best to engage the students in worthwhile activities and there are a couple security guards who deal with bullying, fights and shady behavior. From what I can tell, most other patrons clear out when the students arrive and take over.

But if the behavior at the library is any indication of what goes on at the school, it is no wonder that families enroll their children in private schools. I too would suggest taking a verrrry close look at Carrington before considering enrolling.

I can't help but wonder how the school district can legally transport and dump busloads of students at a public place rather than return them to their homes. Seems there would be liability issues here.

Last edited by PatRoy1; 03-11-2011 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
Carrington lets off busloads of students at the nearby North Regional Library at the end of every school day. My understanding is that these students are bused to Carrington from other neighborhoods and their parents would prefer they not be bused home after school but rather left off at the library. Some are picked up at 6 or so, others are there from 2:30 in the afternoon until closing at 9 at night.

There is indeed a lot of misbehavior. The library staff do their best to engage the students in worthwhile activities and there are a couple security guards who deal with bullying, fights and shady behavior. From what I can tell, most other patrons clear out when the students arrive and take over.

But if the behavior at the library is any indication of what goes on at the school, it is no wonder that families enroll their children in private schools. I too would suggest taking a verrrry close look at Carrington before considering enrolling.

I can't help but wonder how the school district can legally transport and dump busloads of students at a public place rather than return them to their homes. Seems there would be liability issues here.
Maybe I misunderstood, but why would they drop them off from the bus if they could just walk? I would also think the bus wouldn't be allowed to drop them off unless it's part of some kind of program.

I am just confused as to why the students would get on a bus, wait for it to fill up, and then get dropped off right there at the entrance of the school when they could have walked there in that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary