Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:10 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times

Advertisements

distract them with deer corn . . . as many deer as we have we've never had a problem with them . . my neighbor has a crab apple tree and I've been feeding corn so we hoping that the other food is keeping them from our garden . . .now, I did see one garden that had 2 fences as a double barrier...there are so many wonderful gardens to peak out throughout our community..there is one on Six Forks that is actually screened in with a door . . . . when you make that turn on Six Forks to Blue Jay Point you'll see it on the left hand side set back . . I've actually driven right up to it . . I love the screen door...I may have a photo in my album to show you..

our tomatos are about to come in . . so far the cherry but now the big boys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 05:15 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
Our garden has had a bad cause of Blossom-End-Rot this year. Luckily a gf of mine diagnosed it for me . . ."black spot at the base of the tomatos that eventuall rots out". We caught it in time so all I needed to do was go purchase a mineral spray at Lowe's and the maters' are now looking good but I was really panicked.

The key is to fortify your soil with lime so next year . . lime it is.
Anyone else has this problem?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:20 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Next time you get blossom end rot, dissolve a couple of tums in water and sprinkle around the base of your plant. It's thought to be a calcium deficiency in the soil. This works for me every time! ALso, start adding crushed egg shells and manure into your compost for next years crops.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:36 AM

398 posts, read 1,292,057 times
I've given up on the tomatoes and squash, as both have been rummaged by squash bugs (despite my best efforts to control them - I only got one zucchini and one crookneck squash) and deer (they bit the tomato plants so terribly that I have no flowers at all; they even bit into two beautiful tomatoes!).

My cucumber are thriving, though; we've cut about 8 cukes in the last two weeks.

i'm learning as I go along... next year will be different for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary