Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
On the other hand, I am also not going to hop straight into the intersection. I've seen way too many people in this area run red lights and I really don't want die by getting right out there. So, yeah, I'll wait a second to make sure no one is going to plow me down! You can honk all you want, that won't change for me! Heh.
Exactly. I always look both directions before going through an intersection. You never know.

I blew my horn at someone going very slow and not signaling on Wake Forest. I felt bad afterwards, because I don't usually get irritated driving - much less honk - and I was only going to the grocery store on Sunday afternoon.

I think I need to head back to the hills, where there are eight traffic lights in my home county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
yeah. I count to 5 slowly and if the person still hasnt even looked up from their texting, or phone conversation, or changing the radio station, I tap my horn so they know the lights changed. Its not done to be a jerk, but to let them know to pay attention. Really, I think that's pretty fair, knowing they should be paying attention anyways when driving a car
5 seconds is a long time at some of the lights here, that only stay green 10-15 seconds sometimes.

And if someone is actually TEXTING behind the wheel of a car, even at a stoplight, I would lay on the horn hard. That is endangering to everyone around. Otherwise, I try to see whether they have just spaced out for a second, and I might give a quick "tap" of the horn to "wake them up" (and give a friendly wave if they look in the mirror), vs. someone who was clearly completely not paying attention to the fact that a 2-ton machine is in their control and isn't it about time they took notice of that fact?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Too many people on smart phones while waiting at lights. It's a national epidemic and now people are tired of dealing with the distracted drivers so we all get honked at ...

I passed a guy sitting at a green light today. He was sitting there for a solid 15 seconds while the light was green. I approached the green light going 35 in the left lane while he sat motionless in the right hand lane. As I passed I could see he was watching some sort of video on his iphone. After I passed I looked in my rearview and noticed he finally pulled through the light after seeing me go by him. He was totally oblivious to his surroundings while watching something on his phone. I notice this more and more these days and not just here in Raleigh.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I don't think OP is talking about situations where the driver is not paying attention. They are talking about when the honker doesn't even give the driver a chance to look both ways before proceeding through the intersection.

It's never happened to me in NC but was a daily occurrence in NY.
Yep. This is exactly what I was talking about. People who are just sitting there ignoring the light sometimes need a honk to get them moving.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:53 AM

19 posts, read 36,364 times
I can't believe the lack of honking down here. It took me awhile to adjust. You just honk your horn about anything on Long Island...I did it once down here and I felt like a real jerk!! Although, there are some ridiculous situations where everyone seems almost too patient and an entire row of cars misses the light because the first person is not paying attention. I just bite my tongue and wait like everyone else (when in rome...) My question is, how come nobody pulls into the intersection when waiting to make a left turn??? That is standard everywhere else I've lived and actually helps more people get through the light. I never see anyone do that down here and I feel like maybe I am breaking a law when I do it!?!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
I had a guy behind me lay on his horn the other day. I was stopped at a red light with a "NO TURN ON RED" sign posted. Sheesh.

But I agree, this is nothing like NY. Those folks get really nasty...

Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
Yeah, I like to honk. I do it b/c someone is going extremely slow or is just driving crazy.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernytonc View Post
I can't believe the lack of honking down here. It took me awhile to adjust. You just honk your horn about anything on Long Island...I did it once down here and I felt like a real jerk!! Although, there are some ridiculous situations where everyone seems almost too patient and an entire row of cars misses the light because the first person is not paying attention. I just bite my tongue and wait like everyone else (when in rome...) My question is, how come nobody pulls into the intersection when waiting to make a left turn??? That is standard everywhere else I've lived and actually helps more people get through the light. I never see anyone do that down here and I feel like maybe I am breaking a law when I do it!?!
That is another "when in rome" situation and was discussed a little in the other driving thread. Apparently, some people feel it is unsafe to do so. I still pull into the intersection because I have always done it that way and feel comfortable doing so. I do it as a courtesy to the cars behind me. But if the guy in front of me waits at the white line, I don't let it bother me. Same goes for people who don't feel comfortable turning right on red. I would much prefer the other drivers stay in their comfort zone rather than attempt something they feel is dangerous!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
That is another "when in rome" situation and was discussed a little in the other driving thread. Apparently, some people feel it is unsafe to do so. I still pull into the intersection because I have always done it that way and feel comfortable doing so. I do it as a courtesy to the cars behind me. But if the guy in front of me waits at the white line, I don't let it bother me. Same goes for people who don't feel comfortable turning right on red. I would much prefer the other drivers stay in their comfort zone rather than attempt something they feel is dangerous!
I remember reading in my AAA Carolinas magazine a couple of months ago that they do in fact recommend that drivers pull into the intersection while waiting to turn left on an unprotected green.

It always amazes me the number of people who don't do it here...

Old 03-01-2011, 11:22 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernytonc View Post
I can't believe the lack of honking down here. It took me awhile to adjust. You just honk your horn about anything on Long Island...
But wasn't a more relaxed pace of life one of the reasons you left Long Island? Please don't try to move somewhere and bring your "Long Island habits" with you (and it doesn't look like you are; just sayin'...)

Different areas have different standards, and NC is less "rude" than LI, which is a big reason so many are moving here from there and not the other direction. However, I share your freustration with people who NEVER honk (and I'm a native). Cars do have horns for a reason! As I mentioned earlier, I use a "quick toot" to remind someone the light is green, but not a long angry HONK. Disparities among people's "styles", whether in driving or in honking, is one cause of road rage as each thinks the other is too slow/polite or fast/aggressive. Try to find the middle of the pack, is all I can say (and you do show and awareness of it so I don't doubt you are striving for that).

Quote:
My question is, how come nobody pulls into the intersection when waiting to make a left turn??? That is standard everywhere else I've lived and actually helps more people get through the light. I never see anyone do that down here and I feel like maybe I am breaking a law when I do it!?!
People do do that; I can't really compare it to other places, but again, drivers are less aggressive here than in the NYC metro, and most consider that a good thing, even if it frustrates you once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary