Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:39 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I wish my car had two horns, a Honk and a more discreet Beep, so that I could choose. Sometimes I try to Beep and it comes out ruder than I wanted it too.
You must be from NY - one horn is not enough for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 PM

346 posts, read 612,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
Honestly? I sense a bit of hyperbole.
I've been driving for 45 years son... I have lived in the NYC metropolitan area and I have lived in Tucson ...and I've seen more red light runners than you could shake a stick at. I'm also a former LEO and I've seen things you would not want to see or deal with.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
Honestly? I sense a bit of hyperbole.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:57 AM

310 posts, read 575,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
I've been driving for 45 years son... I have lived in the NYC metropolitan area and I have lived in Tucson ...and I've seen more red light runners than you could shake a stick at. I'm also a former LEO and I've seen things you would not want to see or deal with.
OK, but you said
Quote:
too many times have I seen some impatient drivers honk to get the lead car going only to get rammed by an inattentative driver who runs a red light.
Granted that one time would be too many, but you imply that you have seen multiple T-Bone collisions caused by someone honking their horn to get the driver in front of them to proceed. How many times have you seen that happen exactly.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:28 AM

662 posts, read 1,643,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I've noticed it comes in waves. People have been very polite over the past few days. I think they're glad the tornadoes didn't get'em.
I've noticed that too - and at the risk of sounding nuts, it's not just in traffic and not just the tornadoes. There seems to be a general mood - check this out: WorldMood.info - Welcome

I'm with the other Southern gals that a honk is only for emergencies - and I must say I can't remember the last time I was honked at or had to honk.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
I've noticed that too - and at the risk of sounding nuts, it's not just in traffic and not just the tornadoes. There seems to be a general mood - check this out: WorldMood.info - Welcome

I'm with the other Southern gals that a honk is only for emergencies - and I must say I can't remember the last time I was honked at or had to honk.
Oooo! Thanks for the link. I'm gonna bookmark it and check next time I start hearing a honk-a-thon.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:00 PM

275 posts, read 396,667 times
I can't say that I have heard much honking going on in traffic. But since I moved to the Raleigh area back in 2008, I have seen a huge increase in aggressive driving. I was very impressed when I moved back to NC because people would slow down to let me merge into traffic or make a turn. But these days traffic in the Triangle reminds me of South Florida. Several times I have tried to merge onto HWY 70 from Vandora Springs Dr. in Garner, only to have drivers on 70 jam on their accelerators, match speeds with me, and force me onto the exit to HWY 50. I've seen this happen to others too.
Tailgating is common around here, but I seem to encounter it in Cary the most. People will tailgate, you, swerve around you nearly clipping your rear, and brake and make a right turn 100 yards down the road! Gee, what did they save, a whopping .5 seconds? And I have seen a couple of collisions and many near collisions with people blatantly running red lights. I've seen people in little sports cars cut off huge trucks, apparently thinking that the cost of their vehicle makes them invulnerable. Whenever possible, I take 64 west instead of dealing with I40.
Discourtesy and aggressiveness seem to be the norm on Triangle highways these days. But I think this has more to do with the growing population than sectionalism. It's the "rats in a cage" mentality. And with so many people, fewer people feel like they are part of community, so they don't care what those around them think. IMHO.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:36 PM

645 posts, read 988,378 times
You know what I hate? Do any of you ever accidentally hit the horn and you clearly did not mean to? Like when you reach over to turn the wheel - but your hand taps the horn instead. And then you have to give the wave or the peace sign to the person in front of you coz you feel like a gosh darn fool! Yep - Hate that.

Whenever I do that it always brings this comedy bit to mind. Sorry - I know my post is not Triangle related - but it's a pretty classic little bit about honking!

YouTube - Brian Regan Live - Horns & Windshields and Seatbelts

Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
Whenever I do that it always brings this comedy bit to mind. Sorry - I know my post is not Triangle related - but it's a pretty classic little bit about honking!
Brian Regan is so halarious, but you need to see him to fully appreciate his humor. His facial expressions are great.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM

226 posts, read 506,771 times
Been following this thread and as i was driving around doing errands today, had to honk at no less than 5 other drivers today. I had to laugh.

3 of them were oblivious to the light turning green and just sat there. I gave them 10 seconds then BEEP!

1 was some idiot at the ATM who must have been trying to order pizza, because he certainly wasn't banking. He held the line up for what must have been 5 minutes (for no reason--there were no buttons being pressed, he was just sitting there, on a cell phone of course) before people started honking at him.

1 was a lady trying her best to back into me in parking lot. She was on a cell phone and mesmerized by her conversation, apparently. After narrowly missing my car she then kissed bumpers with another car in the lot. All she did was back up and keep going. Didn't distract her from her phone call one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary