Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,233 times

Advertisements

Have a contract on our house. Moving from Maryland to NC. Undeceided on area. They are all so nice.

I have a 8 year old daughter and want to have a great elementary school. Also have job offer at Wake Med Raleigh. But am considering Duke as well. I don't want an hour commute since I work 12 hour shifts and sometimes at night.

The challenge is to find a house we like/LOVE. The contract we rec'd has closing of Aug 20.

Do we rent? If so, what area? Have been internet house hunting and planning a trip this weekend. I don't want to rush into a house but want to rent in a nice area if we need to.

Any suggestions would be great. I have been reading the posts and have great info from all.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,028,822 times
Why not rent in Raleigh for 6 months to a year so you are sort of central to everything and close to Wake Med? There are plenty of rentals, good schools and it would give you the opportunity to exlpore the area first. Clayton and Creedmoor and kind of "out there" for rental purposes if you are considering working in Raleigh or Durham.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:24 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,965,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Why not rent in Raleigh for 6 months to a year so you are sort of central to everything and close to Wake Med? There are plenty of rentals, good schools and it would give you the opportunity to exlpore the area first. Clayton and Creedmoor and kind of "out there" for rental purposes if you are considering working in Raleigh or Durham.
I agree with the Raleigh rental.

I live in Clayton and work in Durham, the commute is about 45 minutes. I recently moved to Clayton from Raleigh (where I lived all my life) and I absolutely love it. My commute from Raleigh to Durham was about 20-25 minutes so adding on another 20 minutes to get to work in a house that I love was totally worth it.

Rent for a few months, explore the area, drive the commutes....you will figure out where you want to live after that!

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:37 AM

2,834 posts, read 11,999,381 times
I do think renting would help you figure out the area, and you can register your daughter for school with your rental contract. I know that I have been driving from wake forest to clayton (and garner) and because of the addition of 540 (off of 401) I have driven by wake med (new bern ave) in about 30 minutes. I have friends in wake forest who work at wake med and durham regional. They say wake med is 30 minutes (at most) and durham regional is closer to 45.

I am just trying to give you more options!

Leigh

Old 07-24-2007, 07:40 AM

43,024 posts, read 76,529,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSRN View Post
Have a contract on our house. Moving from Maryland to NC. Undeceided on area. They are all so nice.

I have a 8 year old daughter and want to have a great elementary school. Also have job offer at Wake Med Raleigh. But am considering Duke as well. I don't want an hour commute since I work 12 hour shifts and sometimes at night.

The challenge is to find a house we like/LOVE. The contract we rec'd has closing of Aug 20.

Do we rent? If so, what area? Have been internet house hunting and planning a trip this weekend. I don't want to rush into a house but want to rent in a nice area if we need to.

Any suggestions would be great. I have been reading the posts and have great info from all.

Thanks in advance

What a wealth of choices you enjoy!
Renting lets you catch your breath and search for a home with a little less urgency.
But Duke and Wake Med(Main hospital off New Bern??), are far enough apart that it is likely that one spot will not offer you a short commute to either.
If I had an 8 year old, I wouldn't want a 45 minute drive from work to her school.

Make sure in Wake County that you can get the school you desire, as that is a little bit of a crap shoot...
Wake County Public School System.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,233 times
Thanks.... we are leaning towards renting.

Anyone know of good places that allow dogs? We have a lab about 75lbs.

I have heard Clayton is beautiful.

I can't wait to get there.

Thanks again for your input.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:06 AM

164 posts, read 689,164 times
My Fiance and I moved from Maryland 4 months ago into Creedmoor. I enjoy Creedmoor. Quiet area, nice neighbors, alot of property. Not expensive to live in. Not to far from stores, schools. Wis you the best with the move and all. Kim

Old 07-24-2007, 09:21 AM

892 posts, read 3,151,669 times
All good choices. To me, Clayton is building up quite, quite fast. Creedmoor may be creeping next on a development list it will be years before anything major develops there. As for Timberlake, have only been there once and am also trying to gather more info on it. Beautiful country out there with rolling hills and horses galore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary