Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 06:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,094 times

Advertisements

So I am a 27 year old single female professional considering renting a condo in Person Point, which is located at 518 S. Person St. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a decent area to be in? I know it is slightly south of everything, but any feedback wou?ld be great, as I am only familiar with the Glenwood side of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:22 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Proximity is good for walking to the Moore Square area and most of downtown. It is right next to Shaw University, but I am not sure if there are many students living in the actual condos themselves. To me that area feels a little seedier than where I live on the Glenwood side, but I know that the neighborhood east of Shaw is up and coming.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,094 times
Yea, I know it isn't quite "Glenwood" but the complex is only 12 condos total, all privately owned, I guess I was more wondering about the safety of walking in that area to get to Fayeteville St. I would def. grab a cab if heading to glenwood, or attempt to figure out the R - Line stops?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
Are you looking for a 1BR to rent and what is your budget? How much is Person Point Condo charging for rent? My fiancee lives in one of the downtown condos so I'm quite familiar with all the living options there. Here's my take.

Person Point Condo is on the fringe on the SE side where you start crossing into not so good neighborhoods. While downtown is generally safe, if I had the option I would look elsewhere closer to the main Fayetteville Street or the Glenwood South area. You will be in walking distance to everything, including the free R-Line bus which takes you all over downtown and Glenwood South. The Person Point Condos are also older than others, I think built in the late 90s. Personally I would not live/walk around that area at night.

If you like the SE area, you are better off renting closer like 444 Palladium or Founders Row, and these are as far SE as I would get. If you can afford it, then live right on Fayetteville St in Hudson or RBC Plaza condos (most premium real high rise condo) always have owners renting their condos.

In the warehouse district area, I would look at Hue Condos. It was a condo project now turned entirely into apt rentals. Brand new never lived in condos and the warehouse district is right between Fayetteville St and Glenwood South. For some reason, I forget their apt website. There are also privately owned condos like Dawson and Park Devereux next to Hue.

Then if you prefer Glenwood South, younger more miami beach like area, there are tons of privately owned condos for rent (222 Glenwood, 510 Glenwood, Paramount, West at North, etc etc). There is also an condo-like luxury apartment at Glenwood South called 712 Tucker. I heard it's real nice. Here's the website: Raleigh, NC Luxury Apartments - 712 Tucker

So all in all, given the options, there are better ones than Person Pointe but I don't know your budget. Of course there are cheaper ones too that I left out probably b/c I (mid-30s female professional) would not even consider them.

The rent for 1BR in most of the condos I mentioned are around $1000-$1200. The RBC is the most at around $1500, of course b/c you are living in luxury in the sky.

Here is a downtown map of all residential condos: At Home :: Residential Real Estate :: Downtown Raleigh

And here's a map of the free downtown R-Line bus which is super convenient since it gets you everywhere: Get Around :: R-LINE Stop Locations :: Downtown Raleigh

Feel free to send me a message if you have anymore questions. I want to make sure you are well informed before making a decision.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpowell19 View Post
Yea, I know it isn't quite "Glenwood" but the complex is only 12 condos total, all privately owned, I guess I was more wondering about the safety of walking in that area to get to Fayeteville St. I would def. grab a cab if heading to glenwood, or attempt to figure out the R - Line stops?
As a young female myself, I would not walk alone in the area late at night. Like I said, the area is up and coming and will probably improve with time, but currently I would not venture around in the dark by myself because it is on the fringe, and it's pretty quiet once you get down toward Person Point. I agree with meanieme that Founders Row or Palladium would be better options.

The R-Line is pretty easy to figure out and has stops at City Market and Marbles (only after 6pm I think), as well as a few on Wilmington St. You can find a map of stops and general R-Line info at Get Around :: R-LINE :: Downtown Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary