Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 PM

120 posts, read 296,448 times

Advertisements

Great stories, very cool to hear all the different reasons people ended up here. I started this post and someone asked about my story...so here it goes.

My work decided to open an office down here from DE. My wife and I had bought a house about 2yrs ago and were just bored with DE & our jobs. To add some more detail, Im from NJ & my wife is from PA. it just seemed like NJ/PA was just too expensive to live in so we bought in DE. About 2hrs from my fam & friends and 45 mins from wifes fam & friends we decided to take a risk and move down here. We sold our house in 8 days, my work helped us move down, and my wife quit her job in hopes of finding something better here.

About 6 months Here and I can't believe all that we have seen, done, and met. My wife found a great job but works very hard & long days. I'm working my tail off and since we just opened an office here the sales are off to a slow start. So I have my days of regret and homesickness, but it really boils down To missing our fam & friends (even though we see different people about once a month via visit or road trip), our old house (renting now and can't get a homie feel bc we plan on buying in about 6-8 months), and the routine of my old job (miss the turn key sales).

But I see a lot of opportunity here and truly look forward to starting a family Here (even though I can't decide where I want to live...NRaleigh, Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Brier Creek, CH, just all so cool & different). I'm pumped about our first spring/summer here and can't wait to golf, enjoy lakes & greenway, and join a softball league at the YMCA! Oh and of course NCAA tournament... go Heels!

Last edited by NewCarolinaGuy; 03-03-2011 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:14 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcatfan View Post
There are a lot of towns and cities in the area and I think it's fun to pick one and take a drive and have lunch somewhere new.
What a fun idea! I think we may have to start doing that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
IMO, the experience of relocating is what you make it. You can choose to embrace it, or choose to be miserable. Me? I'm choosing to embrace it, and I've not regretted that decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarolinaGuy View Post
...renting now and can't get a homie feel bc we plan on buying in about 6-8 months
Getting settled into a home may make a big differece. Nothing like the feeling of having your own place to come home to. Being able to roll up your sleeves, get a little dirty & put your own touches on your own place makes it your home instead of just a house.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Birth. That's how I wound up in the Triangle.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMaine2012 View Post
We moved because we wanted to be able to afford a home and I complained of the snow quite a bit. We have been here almost 3 years (July). I have tried to make it feel like home and it doesn't. I also miss my family immensely and plan to go back. I have gone out there and tried to make friends. I have acquaintances, but nobody that wants to hang out with us. We hosted one cookout and it was never reciprocated. We are YANKEES fans however. ;-)
We have one more year before we can sell our house (or at least try to sell it).
Good luck to you.
My guess is that you probably would have had an easier transition had you moved to Raleigh or Cary than to Clayton. There are simply more of a transplant culture in those cities.
I am sorry that your three years have been disappointing and hope your move back home brings you the joy and happiness that you seek!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:07 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Back on topic. I came to Raleigh at age 11 with my father's transfer with IBM. My story isn't interesting or unusual at all. At that time (70's) is was more the rule than the exception.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
My guess is that you probably would have had an easier transition had you moved to Raleigh or Cary than to Clayton. There are simply more of a transplant culture in those cities.
I am sorry that your three years have been disappointing and hope your move back home brings you the joy and happiness that you seek!
Agreed. No offense to the folks in Clayton, but I'm a local and I wouldn't be happy living out there. It's like a whole other world.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:12 AM

51 posts, read 120,418 times
I am originally from Brooklyn. We moved to North Carolina in 2006, and we hate it here.
We moved because we thought it would be cheaper, and better for our lives. We couldn't have been more wrong.
We are trying to sell our house and move to Pennsylvania because we just don't like North Carolina. We have given it a chance; we've been here five and a half years, and we started out liking it, but now, we just can't wait to get out. My oldest sister, who is in her thirties, moved here to NC with us, and in December of 2010 moved back to New York. She loves it up there more than ever, and doesn't want to come back to NC. I guess some places suit people more than others.
I personally do not like the South. But I guess it's just me, and I'm alone in that.
For me, it just felt for the past five and a half years that I was stuck at a foreign airport and my flight kept getting canceled.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In the last few years, Clayton GREW 400%. Who do you think moved there??? Yep...tons of folks that relocated from Boston, Deleware, NY and NJ!

Of course, it depends on WHERE in Clayton you move to. Some of the larger newer n'hoods tend to be a bit more friendly, as others want to meet people too.

My client from Boston moved to a n'hood called Summerset Place and said that about half the n'hood is from Boston! They get together frequently.

In Flowers Planatation, many folks join the Pineville Club and have met others from other areas.

Of course, those folks that want to live on the side of the road to avoid a n'hood with an HOA are not going to be the friendly "I want to meet folks" type of people so think about that before you move.

Vicki

Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMaine2012 View Post
We moved because we wanted to be able to afford a home and I complained of the snow quite a bit. We have been here almost 3 years (July). I have tried to make it feel like home and it doesn't. I also miss my family immensely and plan to go back. I have gone out there and tried to make friends. I have acquaintances, but nobody that wants to hang out with us. We hosted one cookout and it was never reciprocated. We are YANKEES fans however. ;-)
We have one more year before we can sell our house (or at least try to sell it).
Good luck to you.

I can relate, I had a home built in Knightdale within 6 months of moving here. At the time I thought it was the right thing to be doing, but my mistake. I should have given myself more time to learn the areas. It was another world out there, found myself always in the Brier Creek area as well as the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area. It's a much better fit for me. I have since sold the home in Knightdale, lived there for about 2.5 years... I'm back in Brier Creek now and on the fence about moving back to NY or staying, mainly for family reasons. I am continuing to research neighborhoods here and I will think long and hard before buying again. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM
CYB

108 posts, read 270,873 times
I moved here 19 years ago following a girl. She and I married a few years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary