Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:24 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,957,990 times

Advertisements

I visited several areas this past weekend. First of all, we loved Raleigh! I'm going to give my honest opinions about what I thought.
Cary- Nice area, kind of spread out as far as stores, etc. Houses seemed to be older, but well kept up with. Houses were more expensive. It has a mall, movie theater, bowling, roller skating, and restaurants. Just wasn't for us. It was a bigger town then we are looking for. Mostly middle to middle-upper class. Houses are $210K and up.
Apex-Seemed to be an extension of Cary. It was nice but put you a little further out. Didn't spend much time there. Once again, houses were out of our price range. Houses are $200 and up.
Holly Springs-Not much there. It is up and coming though. Very country-like. It is a very nice area. Not many stores, either you have to travel to Cary or Fuquay. I didn't think it was too out there as people tend to say. Closest shoping is Fuquay. Closest mall is Cary. Houses are $200 and up.
Fuquay-I liked the area alot. Alot of shopping and restaurants. The only thing is that this town is lacking entertainment. No movies or sakting, etc. Lots of stores and restaurants. The stores consist of lower budget stores which I really like. (Wal-mart, Dollar General, Aldi and more)Closest mall is Cary. The houses are climbing up in cost, but still worth the value. Nice piece of land 3/4-1 acre in nice neighborhoods. I like that! The town consists of a mix of people white, black and spanish. Houses are $175 and up.
Clayton-The best value on homes and land. I really liked it here. Nice neighborhoods and large houses. It is off 70 which all the stores are located there. It is country-like. They have entertainment skating and bowling. They have your basic stores. You have to travel to Garner, which is ten minutes away to get to White Oaks. White Oaks is a shopping plaza with many stores and movies. You have to travel to Raleigh to get to mall though. Then you have outlet stores in Smithfield. It is still growing. I like how everything is on 70, easy to find everything. Houses are $150 and up.
N. Raleigh-More suburban. It has a four lane highway that goes through the middle of it. All the stores you can think of and the mall. Houses are varied in price. It seems like it's hit or miss. Made up of a mix of white and black people that I noted. It has go-carts, arcade, mini-golf, putting range, movies and more. Nice area if you like to be more suburban. Houses are $125 and up.
Wake Forest-We really liked this area. It is growing also. They have a community building with a public pool, ice skating, roller skating, movies, etc.
They have most of the stores and if not you can go to N. Raleigh which is ten minutes away. Mall is in N. Raleigh. Its middle to middle-upper class. It seemed to be alot of new subdivisions. Houses are more expensive but beautiful. You can still get in with a decent house, but it's closer to $200K. Houses are $180 and up.
Overall, the entire Raleigh are is very beautiful, clean streets, no grafitti. I think it's a great place to raise a family! Hope I covered alot to give you insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 10:55 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,971,801 times
Looks like you covered alot of the area!
You can pretty much find all the basic entertainment (movies, roller skating, bowling, etc) in all the cities. Once you move here and get more familar with the area, you find out that there's alot more to offer then just the basics.
In other words, you can always find something to do on the weekends, especially with kids.

Its good too that each area is different, so each one has something different to offer. Its always a great idea to tour each area to get a feel of what it has to offer instead of just touring one place.

Good luck on your search!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 AM

585 posts, read 1,541,576 times
Thanks for your synopsis of the local communities. I had been wondering what was available for kids esp skating and bowling!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 AM

51 posts, read 223,013 times
HEY BECKY! Good to see you made it there and back. Great place isn't it? Well we are settled in our RV and have internet and cable, so I am back in touch with society...lol Did you get with Randy or not? He called wanting your number. I couldn't help him out there! So when are you coming back? I hope that we can get together sometime! I agree Clayton is nice and reasonable. Only thing was it was too far of a commute for us to Raleigh. We wanted to be closer. Let me know if I can do ANYTHING for you since I am here and you are there!

Keep in touch!
Amy

Old 07-24-2007, 11:12 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,112,957 times
Glad you liked it.

We love our apt in North Raleigh, three blocks from Triangle Town Center and 15 minutes from Wake Forest in non-rush periods.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:50 PM

Saturnman,
Do you know any older subs with bigger lots (0.5 acre or more) and trees? Hopefully Wake Forest schools.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:56 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,112,957 times
I'm a renter so have little info on sales.

Might try one of the agent members.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:58 PM

3,297 posts, read 8,534,155 times
I think North Raleigh is way to expansive to be lumped into one area. I think there are 3 or 4 distinct areas of North Raleigh with all of them being different from each other. Also there are many 4 lane roads that cut through the middle of North Raliegh. There are really so many different ways to get where you want to go. That is one reason I think Traffic is not too bad here (my opinion coming from the DC area).

Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,244,421 times
I spent some time in the Raleigh area this summer, and I really like the area alot. I tend to like the north part of the county a little better than the south. Not that the south part is bad, I just prefer the north part.

Cary is nice, but it is getting more congested compared to the rest of the nice neighborhoods in the Raleigh area. Still nice, and conveniently located to the airport, and downtown.

The north part of the county (Wake Forest) and the south part (Fuquay) has many similiarities, with Wake Forest being over all nicer in my opinion and offering more as far as entertainment and restaurants, especially with Wakefield a few minutes away.

My favorite areas are:
1) Falls of neuse area- However, it is expensive compared to many of the areas nearby. Homes and neighborhoods are beautiful.

2) Wake Forest- Not congested, a small town feel to it, yet 5-10 minutes from just about anywhere you need as far as shopping, restaurants and banks.

3) Wake Field- Really nice area, but it kind of feels to suburban for me.
Yet, it is really nice, but a bit pricey compared to nearby neighborhoods.

4) Crabtree mall area- Well certain parts of the area going west on Glenwood avenue past the mall. It is basically hit or miss in some of the areas there. This area is very convenient to many places. Downtown is 10 minutes away. Cary is 10 minutes away. The airport is about 10-15 minutes away. Wake Forest and Fuquay the northern end and southern end of the county is only about 30 minutes away.

Overall, I really like the Raleigh metro area. In fact, I am definitely planning on returning again. In fact, this area is on top of my list of areas to relocate to.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:13 AM

Just wanted this post to pop up again for people that have questions. Hopefully it will be helpfull!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary